S3 or TT-S...?

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
I know this is a comparison which has been made on here before BUT....

I had a quick look around the TT-S today, it's a lovely motor but how many of you would pay the premium for one over an S3?
Is it supposed to be any better to drive? I know it's supposed to be a tiny bit lighter and has more bhp so does that make up for the 'hairdresser' tag?
The one i looked at had the s-tronic box which i wouldn't touch....Will it be available in manual??

Anyway, just interested in your opinions on the car really!

Interior is lovely isn't it! They are available in manual as well so your ok. I briefly considered one for the future and the extra ££ is hard to justify I think. But if you've got the money and you want one, then I dont see a problem! However... I would be tempted to wait for the TT-RS.

Coss

10K for a pretty body and interior, the car is 'essentially' the same as the S3..

I would go for an S3, I did consider a TT-S myself until I saw a guy in one the other day, it was a roaster too though which is completely inexcusable! lol..

Coss i'll happily wait for the TT-RS if you fancy giving me some money?? lol

Do you get a decent amount of standard equipment with the TT-S or is everything extra like most Audi's??

Like you say jonnyc, essentially the same car but you're going to get a very nicely kitted out S3 for less than a bog standard TT-S. It's a big premium for a flashy body...

TTS looks great, IMO it doesnt really look that look camp at all, thats just a hangover from the old one which went all hairdresser when they started to water the model down with fwd 150bhp versions, blatantly aimed at birds and bloke who thought they were birds.

Personaly though, I wouldnt pay a premium over the S3, which you are already paying a premium for in the first place.
Thats based in looks/spec/practicality alone as I havn`t driven a TTS.

TT-S has received really good write-ups recently in both Drivers Republic and Autocar, when compared to the Cayman, saying it is remarkably close, but have to say I wouldn't pay the premium over the S3 and I did consider doing so. I just think the S3 is more my sort of car and I'd probably pick it even if they were the same price.

Think the TT-S has a reasonable level of standard equipment (leather, heated seats) but you'd pay extra for 19" wheels, buckets, Bose, ipod etc

TT-S is not the same car.. The body construction and weight distribution is totally different. That said, it does carry a much higher premium over the S3 and I cancelled my TT-S order and got an S3 instead as it is 'comparable' not 'the same with a pretty body'.
Money wise, the S3 imo is the better value but residuals in the TT-s are going to be high. The similar specced car is about 8K more expensive...

I used to own an S3 8P and now have a TTS.

Actual price difference spec for spec was £4,800 so a considerable premium, but its not how much it costs, but how much you lose. The TTS will have better residuals, but you wont get much of an upfront discount. My guess is come resale after 2 years the TTS will of cost a couple more grand to own. Thats £2k you could of spent on mods :rock:

If you are buying a car from a drivers point of view then I'm afraid the TTS is better. The handling is certainly sharper than the S3 and unlike many on here lowering their S3's to sort it out, there is no need to do this on the TTS. Maybe the mag ride will help sort the S3?

TTS5.jpg

TTS4.jpg

TTS1.jpg

The exhaust/induction note on the S3 was always a bit dull, something that cant be leveled at the TTS. Its adictive:rockwoot:

Anyone wanting to remain indiscrete might want to avoid the TTS. Down the local pub my S3 only ever warranted one person comments, the same was true of my 2.0 TT. Lost count on the TTS. Its been the same elsewhere. Not sure if its the colour. Not had any hairdresser comments either - something I got in the 2.0 TT.

I bought my TTS when the revised S3 had not been announced. The looks, LED's, fact I would have one at launch and first on the road all had an impact.

If I made the decision again, wanted more space, something more descrete and to save myself a few quid then I would take the S3. As a keen driver that didnt want to have to spend money on mods I would still spend exta on the TTS for its handling, extra power, lower weight and noise.

Out of the 2 I would probably go for the TTS, you already have an A3. IMO I like to change to something different if you see what I mean.

chinstts - you need a flower holder like in the Beetles! lol! Sweet car though!

Was looking at a white TT-S in Osnabrück Audi yesterday and it is very nice! I still don't like the lower half of the front grill though, I was hoping it'd look better in the flesh.

This is never really going to be a fair comparison though is it? If you want a small coupe and can afford the extra cost get the TT-S, if you don't or can't then the S3. I faced the same question last year but decided the rear seats were a waste of time (I don't have kids so it'd only be mates in the back if ever) and I didn't want to pay that much extra. Simple. Performance and handling didn't really come into it for me.

Ah, a thread I can contribute to :yes:

I changed up to a TTS after owning an A3 3.2 sline. The S3 was an option, and I test drove one. It just wasn't different enough to the A3 and tbh, the interior of the A/S3 is a bit dull compared to the TT. If you forget cost (so assume the cost to change is the same for S3 and TTS) I would go for the TTS in a picosecond, its a no-brainer. Practicality wise, clearly if you need the back seats that rules out the TTS, but it is fine for the occasional lift; boot-space is pretty good in the TTS and is one of the reasons why the TTS was still on my list and the Cayman wasn't - I can get my bike in the back no probs, not a chance in a Cayman ;)

Just done over 1k miles in my TTS and its a blast, I'm absolutely loving every moment, there are just not enough excuses to go out in it. It also feels soooo much quicker than the S3 it’s truly amazing. And handling? Different planet to S3 I'm afraid; the TT is nothing like the S3 and is definitely not a golf underneath, it has the aluminium space frame and feels so much more balanced and composed. I have driven a BoxsterS and the TTS is at least on par, if not quicker, and without comparing both on the track, for everyday driving there is nothing between them imho.

I have the stronic aka dsg gearbox which seems to some like marmite, and having never ever had an auto box before I was as bit apprehensive. However it is a revelation, an amazing piece of kit. You have to get accustomed to it and learn its nuances, but when you do it is a pleasure to use. I was so fed up with with my in-traffic daily commute, particularly with the 3.2 as it could be, er, a bit vicious to pull away in first at times! The stronic solves that and I just drive the car now; If I want to get more (more? completely) involved with driving I just drop it into manual and use the paddles. Keep it floored and the upchange is seamless with absolutely no let-up in power, in a straight line it would get away from an equivalent manual, no question. Fun? Yes. Addictive? You bet!

My TTS already pi$$es over my 3.2 for performance (although granted the turbo power delivery is different to the more linear v6 and I wouldn't blame anyone for prefering the v6, I did until I had a few hundred miles in the TTS). Just need a few more miles on the clock and then a remap is on the cards, probably just a stage1 but that should see around 310ps...:eyebrows:

TTS_12.jpg

TTS_16.jpg

TT_Beach3.jpg

TT_Beach2.jpg

TT_Beach.jpg

TTS_8.jpg

TTS_9.jpg

TTS_6.jpg

TTS_5.jpg

TTS_Interior_noflash.jpg

Launch control vid

Well folks i can now confirm that after another test drive i have ordered a TT-S. I'm told it will arrive for collection in November.

I haven't really spec'd too many opions, didn't see much point. So i've gone for the 19" 5 spoke alloys, Bose, symphony and rear parking sensors. Thats it.

The only outstanding issue is the colour.... I've got about a week or 2 to decide before the order if processed.
Judging by you two guys who have posted photos of your cars, Ibis White is VERY popular and for good reason. It looks fantastic on the TT-S. I'm a bit wary it'll be common though.
My other options are Phantom Black and Sprint Blue.........Any opinions??

Paul.

Sprint blue looks smart on the TT-S, seen a couple at the delaers.

Silver looks well nice too, I test drove one in that colour at the dealers.

Nice car, good choice.

Absolutely Sprint blue! Ive never seen one on the roads in sprint so its certainly not common. And its the signature colour for the `S` range so will let the heathens know they are being overtaken by not just any old TT.

Paul

Nice car, good choice.

Absolutely Sprint blue! Ive never seen one on the roads in sprint so its certainly not common. And its the signature colour for the `S` range so will let the heathens know they are being overtaken by not just any old TT.

Paul

This is what i thought, would be nice to have an 'S' car only colour like Sprint Blue. with Phantom as a close second i think!

But then comes the interior colour....black and silver leather is always a winner with Sprint. I love the orange but might be a bit OTT with sprint blue!!

Of course!

It would stand out!

The Union Jack flag looks good with blue and red!

Glad to hear you've finally come to a decision Paul. I thought you were going to go with the 335i.

I saw a TT-S in Deep Sea Blue the other day, looked magnificent, might want to consider that. I'm also a fan of the Ibis white on the TT-S but you're right it might be a tad common and difficult to shift in a few years time, but it does look brilliant. Sprint Blue and Meteor Grey are also very good colours to have.

Whatever you choose you won't be dissappointed, from what I've read the TT-S is very impressive, just try not to be too disheartened when the TT-RS comes out though!

I'm having the car on lease and BMW 335i's due to depreciation etc are outrageously priced. For example...a 335i with only upgraded whels and leather seats was £80 a month more than an S5. I can't justify that!
So i started shopping around again and the TT-S just made a lot of sense and i got some good deals so i'm happy.

I still need to see Deep Sea Blue in the flesh (dealer didn't have one in stock)... Doesn't seem very photogenic but apparently a great colour. Same applies to meteor grey.

EDIT: By the way i did also consider a Porsche Cayman but insurance, servicing etc put me off. The TT-S is the faster car, maybe not as entertaining to drive but i think it looks better and has a much nicer cabin...and that quattro for winter (i've just moved out into the sticks).

Found this thread on a TT forum with examples of every available Audi colour for anyone who's interested. Quite a useful resource actually:

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77841

I was unsure about sprint on the TT but after seeing these pictures i'm sold:

attachmentwu4.jpg

1120815a7a7ac8782dd92245a42106f4.jpg

Sprint is a great colour, works best with the roadster than the coupe I think.

As far as popular colours, there was a poll a while back on one of the tt forums and by far the most popular colour was silver, despite what people think white was quite a way down the list, behind black even!

I'm having the car on lease and BMW 335i's due to depreciation etc are outrageously priced. For example...a 335i with only upgraded whels and leather seats was £80 a month more than an S5. I can't justify that!
So i started shopping around again and the TT-S just made a lot of sense and i got some good deals so i'm happy.

I still need to see Deep Sea Blue in the flesh (dealer didn't have one in stock)... Doesn't seem very photogenic but apparently a great colour. Same applies to meteor grey.

EDIT: By the way i did also consider a Porsche Cayman but insurance, servicing etc put me off. The TT-S is the faster car, maybe not as entertaining to drive but i think it looks better and has a much nicer cabin...and that quattro for winter (i've just moved out into the sticks).

What was the lease costs on the 3 cars above, take it they were with the same deposit, length of time etc. If you dont mind me asking.

Or even just the difference.

What was the lease costs on the 3 cars above, take it they were with the same deposit, length of time etc. If you dont mind me asking.

Or even just the difference.

Lease hire rates varied wildly. An S3 with plenty of options (buckets, bose, parking sensors, symphony, int light pack etc) was coming out at about £480 a month for a 2 year personal deal for the 3 door, which is brilliant. The sportback is cheaper.
The 335i was coming out anywhere between £700 and £800 per month. Which i can't begin to justify! This is due to the depreciation of the car more than anything.
I got an S5 down to £680 for a 3 year deal which to be fair isn't outrageous.
I ended up negotiating the TT-S between 3 companies and getting it down to £570 with 19's, pearl paint and Bose. That was for a 30 month personal contract. Not cheap by any means but overall i'm happy with the deal.
Is the TT-S worth THAT much more than an S3? Probably not but i've already had an A3 and i love the whole feel of the TT-S.
But seriously.... New facelift S3's on lease hire can be had for a superb price right now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the initial downpayment on the car is 3x the monthly installment. All road tax is paid for though.

Didnt you look at the A5 diesel option or does it have to be a petrol thought that would have a decent rate, i agree with your point about already having had an A3 so wanted the change.

The A5 3.0TDI can be had for about the same as the S3, probably less. Bit on the big and heavy side for me though and i'm not a high mileage driver so i'm happy to stick with petrol for now.

Well folks i can now confirm that after another test drive i have ordered a TT-S. I'm told it will arrive for collection in November.

My other options are Phantom Black and Sprint Blue.........Any opinions??

Paul.

DONT go for s tronic - It ruins the car IMO (sorry to the peeps who have it!).. It accentuates the turbo lag and makes the car poor off the mark...

Overall a nice car though as said in this thread.. To be honest, its not the same market as the S3; I traded my 3.2 TT for an S3 but because I wanted space (rear seats that are useable plus the ability to lug my mountain bike around) and practicality which are a little lacking in the TT.

S3 vs TTS

I think is either you want a hot A3 with the added praticality or you want a very nice 2 seater sportscar!

Either you like the shape or not.... Both cars are very nice and fast cars... Get the TTS if you want a 2 seater or the S3 if you want more low profile, versatility... Simple

Premium that you pay.... does it really matter?

Pedro

I didn't go for S-Tronic!... All the reviews i read of cars with this new fangled double clutch semi auto box have the same opinion.... Lovely and smooth but almost kills the driving experience. I read a review of the new Carrera 998 yesterday and they recon the double clutch PDK gearbox is so perfectly smooth it ruins the car. It's too refined and doesn't feel like a proper Porsche anymore....Didn't want to risk that with the TT-S. I'm sure it makes traffic and long journeys much more enjoyable though!

Good choice of cars.

I almost went for Sprint Blue and if they had had the option of Black and Blue leather inside. Only thing with that colour is it can look a little dull when the sun is not out. The new silver looks great as well. I dont think black works very welll at all on the TTS.

Good choice of cars.

I almost went for Sprint Blue and if they had had the option of Black and Blue leather inside. Only thing with that colour is it can look a little dull when the sun is not out. The new silver looks great as well. I dont think black works very welll at all on the TTS.

Unfortunately the same seems to apply to all the Audi pearl colours. My Avus silver A3 looks like it's painted with grey primer on a dull, rainy day! Looks awesome in the sun though. I think the same will apply to meteor grey too.
My concern with Sprint is that it seems to look better on more angular cars e.g. the RS4, S3 etc than it does on the TT.
I've seen a TT-S in brilliant black and i thought it looked great with the chrome bits. Can't really go wrong with black though can you.....until it's time to clean it!
I recon i'm going to go black anyway, after all i KNOW it's going to look good and i KNOW it won't go out of fashin in 6 months! Safe option basically!

I didn't go for S-Tronic!... All the reviews i read of cars with this new fangled double clutch semi auto box have the same opinion.... Lovely and smooth but almost kills the driving experience. I read a review of the new Carrera 998 yesterday and they recon the double clutch PDK gearbox is so perfectly smooth it ruins the car. It's too refined and doesn't feel like a proper Porsche anymore....Didn't want to risk that with the TT-S. I'm sure it makes traffic and long journeys much more enjoyable though!

Its an age old problem. There was uproar in 1911 when they introduced these newfangled self-starting cars, it absolutely ruined the experience of hand-cranking the engine yourself. Ford held out longest in order its dedicated enthusiasts could still enjoy the full car experience, however they reluctantly admitted in 1920 that self-starting cars were actually the way forward. :salute:

If they could make it so you still had full control of it then I'd probably give it a go (and yes, I have driven one). Until then, you won't get me away from a manual.

What do you mean by "Full control"?

With the s-tronic in Manual mode, the only occaision when the gearbox changes itself is on the rev limiter (which you want anyway) or when the engine speed drops too low for the gear (which you probably want anyway unless you intend to deliberately stall...?)

Powerplay, i know what you're saying but i can't comment on what the general opinion of the self starting car was is 1911!
I'm not saying s-tronic is the work of the devil and ruins every car it's fitted to, if i had an S8, S6 etc....I'd have it. But in a smaller performance orientated car (S3, RS4, TT-S etc) I like the feeling of engaging gears, dropping the clutch etc. All part of the art of driving isn't it...Man and machine and all that. S-tronic makes the car more 'point and squirt' which is great if you want to make life easy for yourself.
Can't help but think it takes a big chunk out of the point of having a 'performance car' though. My opinion obviously!

What do you mean by "Full control"?
With the s-tronic in Manual mode, the only occasion when the gearbox changes itself is on the rev limiter (which you want anyway)

Why do you want the car to change up for you, just because you've hit the limiter?
You may have hit the limiter halfway around a corner, you may have hit the limiter because of some wheelspin, or a slide.
Doesn't matter what the scenario is, the last thing you want is the car changing up for you!:keule:

If hitting the rev-limiter is to be avoided at all costs, why not fit the same system to their manual cars?
Why give them the choice to drive around on the limiter all day, should they so desire, but treat DSG drivers like incapable eejits?:uhm:

DSG drove me bonkers in a diesel, it can only get worse in a revvy car.