S3 or TT-S...?

I think that the DSG/s-tronic could be 100% better with some re-mapping of the gbox ECU..

I dont think that anyone has re-mapped the box yet, I asked around when I had my DSG GTI, the dealer told me was a manual when I ordered the car..

I was trying to convince myself to keep it but the box does not let you drive the car as you would like to drive it at times..

All I wanted was the kick down disabled and the auto change up disabled.. With them two modifications it would be miles better and I would probably have a DSG car..

Ah, a thread I can contribute to :yes:

I changed up to a TTS after owning an A3 3.2 sline. The S3 was an option, and I test drove one. It just wasn't different enough to the A3 and tbh, the interior of the A/S3 is a bit dull compared to the TT. If you forget cost (so assume the cost to change is the same for S3 and TTS) I would go for the TTS in a picosecond, its a no-brainer. Practicality wise, clearly if you need the back seats that rules out the TTS, but it is fine for the occasional lift; boot-space is pretty good in the TTS and is one of the reasons why the TTS was still on my list and the Cayman wasn't - I can get my bike in the back no probs, not a chance in a Cayman ;)

Just done over 1k miles in my TTS and its a blast, I'm absolutely loving every moment, there are just not enough excuses to go out in it. It also feels soooo much quicker than the S3 it’s truly amazing. And handling? Different planet to S3 I'm afraid; the TT is nothing like the S3 and is definitely not a golf underneath, it has the aluminium space frame and feels so much more balanced and composed. I have driven a BoxsterS and the TTS is at least on par, if not quicker, and without comparing both on the track, for everyday driving there is nothing between them imho.

I have the stronic aka dsg gearbox which seems to some like marmite, and having never ever had an auto box before I was as bit apprehensive. However it is a revelation, an amazing piece of kit. You have to get accustomed to it and learn its nuances, but when you do it is a pleasure to use. I was so fed up with with my in-traffic daily commute, particularly with the 3.2 as it could be, er, a bit vicious to pull away in first at times! The stronic solves that and I just drive the car now; If I want to get more (more? completely) involved with driving I just drop it into manual and use the paddles. Keep it floored and the upchange is seamless with absolutely no let-up in power, in a straight line it would get away from an equivalent manual, no question. Fun? Yes. Addictive? You bet!

My TTS already pi$$es over my 3.2 for performance (although granted the turbo power delivery is different to the more linear v6 and I wouldn't blame anyone for prefering the v6, I did until I had a few hundred miles in the TTS). Just need a few more miles on the clock and then a remap is on the cards, probably just a stage1 but that should see around 310ps...:eyebrows:

TTS_12.jpg

TTS_16.jpg

TT_Beach3.jpg

TT_Beach2.jpg

TT_Beach.jpg

TTS_8.jpg

TTS_9.jpg

TTS_6.jpg

TTS_5.jpg

TTS_Interior_noflash.jpg

Launch control vid

lovely car unitl i saw the hideous interior :scared2:

The BMW 335D would have been nice.
The A5 even, at a push.
The TT-S does nothing for me though, PNH80, sorry.
I hope you enjoy it and it's hassle free though.

Thats fair enough Bowfer, i've never been a TT fan until the TT-S came out. Always seemed a bit girly and gutless to be honest.
I wanted a proper sports coupe (not a 3 door hatch again), the 335d and 335i are just insanely priced for lease hire unfortunately. I couldn't entertain the quotes otherwise i would have had one, no question.
The TT-S just fits the bill, a proper coupe, cheaper to run than a cayman, bags more fun to drive than the A5, as quick as an S5 (faster through the corners) and it's a younger looking car. I'm 27 so i don't think an A5 suits me just yet. Plus all importantly it came within my budget.

So no complaints really.

Lol fair enough!!
Some love it, some loath it, its all a personal choice. However I can promise you it looks very different in real life than in a photo, I'm yet to have someone sit in it and not compliment it ;)

Lol fair enough!!
Some love it, some loath it, its all a personal choice. However I can promise you it looks very different in real life than in a photo, I'm yet to have someone sit in it and not compliment it ;)

Mate of mine had that colour combo in a black Boxster S.
Was actually a very nice place to sit.

I think we are so used to the conservative and very tasteful interiors that AUDI present us with, that when we see one thats a little `loud` its not always to peoples taste.
I reckon if you saw that interior in an ALFA no one would batter an eyelid.

I like it but IMO it looks better against a black car.

The TTS feels like its worth the extra money over an S3 IMO I'm pretty sure I'd have bought one if I hadn't taken the 2.0TT in the interim, the only issue I had with the TTS was justifying its price over my then current TT, all I was gaining for @ £8K was some extra exhaust pipes, mild body kit and 4wd. I'm never sure why anyone compares the S3 to the TTs as they are clearly different beasts - both very good in their intended market. You will be happy as long as rear seats are not important as you have already stated.

Enjoy
:)

Buckas can you edit your post please? There is no need to quote every single picture from Powerplay's post, it just takes up room on the thread.

I can't decide if i like the orange enough to have it myself or not. It's not like buying a loud shirt which you can throw away on a whim... Once you've got it you're stuck with it! Looks good in a black or grey car though.