Which 2.0 Diesel to go for?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at the 2.0 Diesel models available, but am unsure about the differences?

Is there a list somewhere of the variants and their differences?

there is only two - 140bhp and 170bhp - one has more power one does better mpg - you pays your money and takes your choice. In my opinion the 170 is miles smoother though also (im talking pre-common-rail improvements here) the very latest newest versions are probably smoother quieter, more economical again.

When you say "newest version" how many versions are there?

Whats the difference between SE and Sport - are there others?

I do want economy, as its the whole reason that I'm moving away from petrol, so maybe I will be better off with the 140bhp.

Thanks

Are you thinking of new or second-hand. If it's new, look at the Audi UK website for a copy of the current Brochure and Price List which will give you all the info you need.

If you looking to buy a second-hand one, let me know what sort of year you'll be looking at and I will probably have a copy of the Brochure and Price List for that year which I could email to you.

Personally I had a 2004 2.0TDI-140 SE DSG prior to my current 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG. The 170 is much smoother and quieter than the 140 but does use more fuel. My next one will almost certainly be one of the new common-rail versions but until I can drive them I do'nt know if I will go for the 140 or the 170. My dealer is getting a new 140 as a demo car in a couple of weeks so I should be able to drive that when it arrives.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your reply.

I currently have a 1.8T 1998 which seems to drink petrol, hence my need for a diesel.

I am looking for a 2004 or newer 2.0 diesel, that is under £15k. Economy and low noise a priority.

I see the 2008 range has standard , SE , Sport , S and S3, is this the common range from 2004 onwards?

Thanks for any help.

Floob.

Basically Yes although the SE and Sport used to be the same price. In the revised 2008 range the SE has had some 'goodies' removed and the price has been reduced. There is also a model called the S-Line which is similar to the Sport with some different items and a slightly revised sports suspension.

On a 2004 model the Sport and the SE trim levels added £2000 to the basic price of the car. The Sport has Sports suspension and sports seats, front fog lights and DIS as standard. These are extra on the SE which has normal suspension and seats but does include things like auto-dimming rear view mirror, cruise control, front centre armrest, interior light pack, auto-lights and wipers and extra storage nets.

If you would like to send me a PM with your email address I have a 2004 Brochure and Price List as a PDF file and I will happily send you a copy.

In that case I think a 2004 or 2005 2.0 Sport diesel would be my best bet.

Are the bhp usually advertised in the sale listings, or is there another way of determining if it will be 140 or 170?

As stated... pre October 2006 it is a 140!!!!!

If a newer model you can always get in touch with your local Audi dealer and with the VIN or the license plate they will be able to tell you which engine is there...

Pedro

for absolute economy get a 1.9 diesel then - think you get 60+mpg out of that - but dont expect to be going anywhere that fast, next step up, 140, drinks a bit more goes a bit faster, then 170 drinks a bit more still and goes a bit faster still, but in comparison with a petrol with 170bhp it is still miles more economical, just depends what you want

I dont suppose anyone has a link to some mpg info?

I found some here, but it doesnt seem that complete:
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

Ideally I'd like to compare a 1.8T petrol, 2.0 140bhp diesel and a 1.9 diesel.
And if anyone has it a Peugeot 1.4 XN 3dr petrol.

Thanks,

Floob.

I dont suppose anyone has a link to some mpg info?

I found some here, but it doesnt seem that complete:
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

Ideally I'd like to compare a 1.8T petrol, 2.0 140bhp diesel and a 1.9 diesel.
And if anyone has it a Peugeot 1.4 XN 3dr petrol.

Thanks,

Floob.

The 1.9 diesel lacks serious power, on motorway driving a 2.0 140 would be much better. If you were going for the 1.8T then I would have to say there is no big advantage to not get the 2.0T.

Does a Peugeot really come into the equation over an Audi?

I have the 140 S line with DSG, it gets 55-60+ mpg on motorways and low 50s around town. Co-incidently I am considering selling mine but for 16k! :tapedshut:

Yep, I think I have decided on some sort of 2004,2005 or 2006 140bhp 2.0 diesel.

The Peugeot is just for comparison as I used to have one before the 1.8T.
Looking at the Audi Brochures, the 2.0 140bhp is quoted at 38-39mpg urban, and approx 60mpg extra urban.

Can you PM details of your 140 S line?