Bit of a STUPID Questions...But im just wonderin as i've been told 2diffrent things

Ash B

Reaction score
Hi,
just a quick questions is it possible to get a a3 1.6 turbo charged or super charged? obviously it cost a bit but would remapin it do any thing or be worth it at all? I wont actually be considering it till the end of this year or next year like the start..I know you all probably be like sell your car and get a 2.0 s-line but i want to keep my 1.6 folr 3years and then im gonna upgrade to a s3. And give my mum my a3 or my sister. so they get a bit of upgrade from there fiesta or 106 lol...I have a max i want to spend sorting this car out of £4,000 well £3,500. If any one could give me any ideas where i should start? or go? But then again been told it can not be done? so looks like i'll be stuck with the 1.6 lol....anyway be very helpful and appreciate it alot :)
Thanks every one
Ashley

Technically yes it can be done but in my opinion a total waste of money.

Yes I'll say it you should sell your car and buy a 1.8 T a3 or something like that.

Thanks for that..I wasnt sure if they still done the 1.8t a3 as i've not really been a audi fan up in till i bought mine lol...So i take it they do still do them in the new sharp?

techincally anything can be turbo'd or supercharged an din some cases both!

the costs will be high as you will need loads of work doing to the engine including:

new pistons - you'll need a low compression as you are running forced induction unless the compression ratio is quite low anyway, for a light pressure force induction you'll need around 10:1 compression ratio and for high boost you'll need lower CR meaning new piston design etc.

new engine mapping - to deal with the extra fuelling, spark angle, knock etc.

strong bottom end - rods will need strenghtening if you are going to run high boost.

basically money wise its not worth it!

yes you can get the 1.8T in the new shape A3, came out about a year ago.

lol "whopping 4 horsepower" thats useless! So i take it with £3,500 you cant really do much with a 1.6! So its pointless! Looks like i'll be getting a new car instead thanks for that...How you both tonight?

Im 18 insurance would be crazy on that! lol and i've only been driving since this year january when i had my first car a 1.0 52plate black corsa haha :)

i'd love to have it now i should of really just got a 2.0 s-line..But i thought going from 1.0-2.0 was a bit too much and i'd have to get use to having a bit more power.

And its gonna take me 1 and half years - 2 years to get money for the new shape s3 aint they like £30,000 there one down my local audi 07 or a 57 plate not many miles on it for £26,000 quiteeee niceeeee

And plus i want to put a bit of money away so if i want to change stuf to it i can do it straight away....I take it you have a s3? What colour and do you have a photo?

ashley

Have you thought about a 2.0 TDi 140, I also had a similar dilemma thinking of whether to get a 2.0 TDi or FSi and in the end I chose the TDi because the TDi has similar performance to the FSi, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance than the FSi and that's important to me as I'm also a young driver. Also getting a TDi remapped will get some big gains! And it'll still be cheap to run!

Have you thought about a 2.0 TDi 140, I also had a similar dilemma thinking of whether to get a 2.0 TDi or FSi and in the end I chose the TDi because the TDi has similar performance to the FSi, cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance than the FSi and that's important to me as I'm also a young driver. Also getting a TDi remapped will get some big gains! And it'll still be cheap to run!

I'm 18 and in a similar boat to you and got the TDI.

It's a sweet car and a massive step up from my 1.4 Golf.

I had the deicision on a 06 Plate 1.6 or my 54 Plate 2.0 TDI and I'm soo glad i went for this one...

Its better than the petrol in nearly everyway apart from the noise it makes and the remap gains on a petrol are bigger but the fuel bill says it all..

But you can Turbo Charge your A3. There's a lot of work to be done but a guy off the Golf Forum done his.. http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/168631.aspx?PageIndex=5 Your A3 will need similar kidn of work and it canbe achieved for under £3k.

Or, drop a 1.8T into it. Insurance will go up and i wouldn't advise not declaring it unless you were third party/fire & theft. I was going to drop a 1.8T into my previous car but it amde sense to sell up as I'd spent £13k onit already and get my A3...

Good this helps

hi wai-fan thanks for comments...how the insurance with your car? Yeah im thinking about just selling mine and getting a 2.0 but i actually want to keep my 1.6 for a bit like 2years let my insurance go down and then i was gonna give my a3 to my mum and just get a s3.
Kaz219 thanks for your comments helps quite alot to read about some one who is has actually done his. Im gonna have to do alot of research i'll actually gonna contact that man who done his golf and see what advice he has. I'll have to find out how much the bhp go up to etc and how much its gonna cost. Im actually have to go up audi friday as they taken my car in for a health check so hopefully be able to speak to some one there about parts etc

I'm 19 and I was driving a 1.4 206 since I was 17. The insurance for my 2nd year was £914 for the 206 and it only costed an extra £217 to change to the 2.0 TDi Sport. I've had some quotes for my next renewal year and cheapest so far has been slightly over £1,200 with 2 years no claims, fully comp, own policy. You should give the TDi some serious thought:o.k:

Aww thats not bad...My insurance on my corsa was £850 and £980 on my audi 1.6 soo not much of a different so thought i'd go for it. On my mum policey gonig on my own in january full comp so its ok right now. I think i will give it a thought as i've seen a nice 2.0 red one for sale 55 plate 35,000 £11,500 but i'd rather buy a TDi from audi..what it like the TDi to drive? and whats the handling like? good with fuel or no?
Thanks Ashley :happy:

As this is the only Audi I've ever driven, I would've thought the handling would be similar to your 1.6, maybe with slight differences in cornering because of the heavier engine. As I've only collected the car last week, I can't really comment too much on the car at the moment apart from it's very refined at motorway speeds! Sitting at just above 2k RPM at 70mph in 6th gear, you don't even notice the engine until you floor it and then you hear the turbo slightly. Fuel costs are similar to my 1.4 206, maybe even better! For everyday driving I get between 47 to 53mpg, highest I've had so far is 57.9mpg. Hope some of this information helps.