AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Diesels - too loud?

Hi,

I have a Audi 1.8T 1998 at the moment, but was looking to get a 2004 or newer diesel to save on fuel economy.

Does anyone have any views on how loud the newer Audis are? Are there any other reasons why I should discount a diesel?

Thanks for any views.

Floob.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    They are only loud when cold then settle in my experience, had 7 VAG PD Diesels now
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    I just picked up my 2004 A3 2.0 TDi Sport on tuesday and personally the noise isn't that bad. When the engine is cold or sometimes at low speeds you can notice the sound of the engine. But after it has warmed up or when your cruising outside of 30mph zones then the car is quite refined.

1st Gear

Status
    The 170 is more refined then the 140 - but really apart from when cold both engines are refined enough. At motorway speeds they are much quieter than most similar capacity petrol engines.
    Audi A3 Sportback SE 2.0 TDI 170 - Lava Grey, Rear parking sensors, Symphony II+, Aluminium Trim

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the responses - this is good to know.
    Looks like I may go for a diesel then.

Neutral

Status
    I have a 2.0tdi 140 A3, its louder than BMW diesels, but compared to the 57 plate company astra's at work its alot quieter both inside and out.

1st Gear

Status
    Got a 170 DPF TDI , little noisey from cold start but apart from that i dont notice it at all now and i only had the car for 1 month...
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

Status
    Agree with the other responses; both the 1.9 and 2.0 generate a lot of clatter from cold but they do settle down a bit when warmed up. However, if refinement is your thing there are other quieter units around (Honda and Ford spring to mind), unless you're buying the very latest VAG 2.0TDI which has common rail fuel injection. Apparently these are a lot quieter.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink