New Porsche Carrera / 7 speed 'PDK' Gearbox.....

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
There's a recent thread about the new 7 speed Audi DSG/S-Tronic gearbox which is soon to be released as well as the Porsche take-over of VAG so i thought this might be of interest...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1385

I found this technical summary of the new Porsche Carrera 998 while browsing online. Not sure where the info is lifted from or how accurate it is. Apparently the new Carrera is to be released at the back end of this year?! I haven't even seen any renderings appearing online so i can't see that happening! No idea if it'll be a facelift with new technology or a whole new model.... Anyone any the wiser?

Anyway, the technical advancements sound very impressive and it's refreshing to see a sportscar/supercar manufacturer taking fuel economy into consideration. The new engine appears to include a new fuel injection system to increase economy to a combined 29mpg (in a carrera??!! Most people on here seem to be reporting that from an S3!) while boosting bhp and overall performance.

My main point is... Is this new hydraulic double clutch gearbox developed with Audi and does it share anything in common with the new 7 speed Audi unit?
Maybe we're in for some very interesting cross-over technology in coming years between the two brands... Interesting point for discussion if nothing else!

Cheers.

Paul.

The 998 is nearly the same as the 997 but has DRLs and LED rear lights. Most of the changes are to the engines and that new gearbox.

Have you seen the gearshift buttons? On the front of the wheel and both sides do up and down...

So it is effectively just a facelift? Porsche really are lazy when it comes to design!! Would have been nice to see some alterations to the body but i guess we'll have to wait.

The new technology sounds very impressive though by any standards...

Yeah I guess.

I quite like the design of the 911, doesn't really need a massive overhaul or anything radical. Must work as plenty of people still buy them.

COULD GET A COUPLE OF THE ORIGINAL OLD STYLE RS VERSIONS CO -DESIGNED WITH PORCHE..THAT COULD BE INTERESTING