Oil usage and exhaust deposits????

Sohrob

Reaction score
I have noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of sut collection on the exhaust of s3, is this the norm and does it vary depending how hard its been driven?

Also do you find the car uses much oil? When i had the car remapped they checked the oil and it was fine, i checked the car yesterday and it was inbetween min and max.

Those two factors suggest that the turbo seals are not doing their job. But I'd be very, very surprised if you had a bad turbo on a car as new as the 8P S3, unless you absolutely rag it from cold and then switch it off without giving the turbo a chance to cool.

When was the car remapped?

car was mapped around 6 weeks ago,i always warm the car up for 5 mins before going above 2500 rpm and about 10 mins if i go above 5000 rpm. Also usually coast in neutral the last stretch of road or let the car stand for a minute before turning off.

The oil usage isnt a certainty as i didnt check it personally,it does get driven very hard though tonight in particluar trying to keep with my mates f430. On sedate runs the exhaust deposits are minimal.

thank you kind sir although the s3 may be on its way :)

Sooty deposits are normal, caused by the warm up period and short runs etc, should clean off easily enough. As for oil consumption, will probably find after the first service it will be cured, mine was. Some cars have 00/30 in from new which gets past the rings, at service they usually use 05/30 which fixes the problem.

normal stuff... have it now... just to a long trip in europe to clear that up!! Last one was 17 hours almost non stop... it was clean as new!!! ahahahah

Pedro