Update on the new 7-speed DSG gearbox

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
According to an article on a US website the new 7-speed version of the DSG for longitudinally mounted engines can handle a torque level of 406 lb-ft (550 Nm) as opposed to the 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) on the existing DSG.

For the full article go to: http://www.autoblog.com/category/audi/

Yes, will supposedly allow the DSG to be used on the 4.2 V8 and the V6 diesels. I think this is the transmission that will be in the TT-RS when it finally arrives as well.

Interesting regarding the quoted official maximum torgue figure for the 6 speed, as I'm sure there are a few people on here with mapped 2.0T cars that are putting out substantially more than 258lb/ft without any apparent problems.

Yes, will supposedly allow the DSG to be used on the 4.2 V8 and the V6 diesels. I think this is the transmission that will be in the TT-RS when it finally arrives as well.

Interesting regarding the quoted official maximum torgue figure for the 6 speed, as I'm sure there are a few people on here with mapped 2.0T cars that are putting out substantially more than 258lb/ft without any apparent problems.

Manufacturer's usually add a reasonable safety margin to their figures.

Off course....

I wonder what is the lifespan of a modern engine.... Like in F1 engines last 2 races not much more without blowing...

How many miles you think our engines are engineered for? 250k?

Pedro

typo: 258 lb-ft is 350Nm not 376

Depends on which conversion factor you use. So far I've found two for lb-ft to Nm. 1.459 and 1.356. If you take the 1.459 you get 376Nm and if you take 1.356 you get 350Nm. I must admit I've always thought of the DSG as having a limit of 350Nm so taking the 1.356 conversion factor the maximum of 406 ft-lbs this would be 550Nm which is a nice round figure.

Life would be a lot easier if the US adopted the metric system!!

7 speed DSG? So when in manual mode you'll basically spend most of your life changing gear? 1st gear will be so ridiculously short there's no point having it at all. I find that with a 6 speed box never mind 7.

7 speed DSG? So when in manual mode you'll basically spend most of your life changing gear? 1st gear will be so ridiculously short there's no point having it at all. I find that with a 6 speed box never mind 7.

Especially with a diesel. When I'm in manual mode I let the box change itself from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd at maximum revs as it comes round so quickly and then change using the stick or paddles after that. At least it's better than having a 7-speed manual and having to use a clutch all the time.

Whilst on holiday recently in Switzerland and going up some narrow mountain pass roads I found it best to leave the DSG in 'D' and sometimes on the tight hairpin bends it actually changed down to first whilst still moving. I suppose Audi have to design to cope with all situations especially as they intend to put the new 7-speed in the Q3/5/7.