Has my air-con gone belly up??

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright guys...

Typically just in time for the warm weather my air con only seems to want to pump out warm air. Even when i drop the temp down to 17 degrees there's no change in temperature. If i had to guess i'd say the air coming out the vents is up in the 20's.
Am i missing something or has it really died after only a year?! I'm not doing anything differently operation wise so i can only assume this is the case.

Any suggestions? The car is due in for it's service now anyway so if it has gone tits up it'll be fixed under warranty.
Just want to make sure it IS the car and not me before i make a fool of myself!!

Paul.

hi mate,

My car was built in jan 2007 , i had to have a a new compressor on climate control air con unit a couple of weeks ago, it was doing the same as yours.....

I know it's a silly question but you don't have the econ button on do you?

Cheers Staz i'll have a look at that thread. Just wanted to check if anyone has had a similar malfunction and if it was easily resolved or if it really is a knackered unit.

According to the version of Elsawin I have there is a known batch of faulty compressors fitted to A3's built in 2006/07.

Maybe you have one, if you can see the end of the pulley on the compressor check for this part number s1K0 820 803 S.

Andy

Same thing happened to my MK5 Golf, 54plate.
Compressor was knackered.

Sounds like its possible youve got the same prob.

Paul

According to the version of Elsawin I have there is a known batch of faulty compressors fitted to A3's built in 2006/07.

Maybe you have one, if you can see the end of the pulley on the compressor check for this part number s1K0 820 803 S.

Andy

Could definitely be a possibility, i'll have a look after work.... I'll swing by Audi anyway to book it in for it's 1yr service and see what they say.

Vorsprung Durch Technic....Advancement through technology indeed!

Cheers Staz i'll have a look at that thread. Just wanted to check if anyone has had a similar malfunction and if it was easily resolved or if it really is a knackered unit.

It may well be that yeah. I was in a rush before lunch but basically just turn the ECON button on and off and the compressor clutch and condensor fan should switch on and off. The results from that test will give you some knowledge (and reading that thread) before you take it to Audi.