Early Oil Change?

PaulAr

S3 (8P)
Reaction score
According to the DIS, my car requires an oil change in 400miles.

That would only make the car 9 months old and only 9K on the clock.

Has anyone else had to have the oil service carried out so early?

AUDI claim this to be normal and reckon if the DIS says it needs done, then it needs done!
Im pretty sure the car is set as on the variable service regime.

Oh, and they want £160 to change the oil! :wtf:

What lubricant do they use , Unicorn ****?

Cheers

Paul

Same for mine mate, but change required at 12000 miles and cost £128. I told the service guy I thought it was stupid doing an oil change at 12000 and then a full service 7000 miles later. He assured me that the oil would not be changed again at the full service, only when the DIS required it. Basically they re-set the oil service interval when they change it so with my driving style it should be roughly 12000 miles before it needs changed again.

I got mine done early myself , 12 month old , 9k on the clock , but with 1000miles/100 days left before it was due.

I think it depends how much/hard you drive it for the DIS to decide when the change is due , so it's normal.

I paid £146 for oil and filter all in. ( half hours labour )

p

I paid Statller £99 for an early oil and filter change using Audi supplied parts, after driving a few hundred miles the DIS reset itself adding conviction to the claim that 'sensors' monitor oil condition - my plan was to then take the car in for its Audi service at the 2 year mark. 9K sounds about right if predominantly short journeys.

If you want it done at Audi I'm fairly sure they'll knock you 10% off just for asking or threaten to go elsewhere.

Spin.

I phoned up 3 dealers and £150 seems to be the going rate ( i think it's worth the extra for the stamp ) one dealer wanted nearly £ 300 :ohmy:

p

An oil change after 9.4K isn't outrageous. Unless the computer signals otherwise the car has to have it's first service and oil change anyway after 10k or 1 year (whichever comes first). So for whatever reason yours is signalling an oil change 600 miles early.... Do you drive the car hard?

TBH. i'd rather get the first belly full of oil out sooner rather than later anyway.

Mine was starting to sound like a Derv :laugh:

p

The first oil change on our 2.0TFSI came up at about 8.5k miles/13 months. It did do pretty short journeys to my wifes work and back most of the time though(5-7 miles), so the oil never really got up to temp properly.

An oil change after 9.4K isn't outrageous. Unless the computer signals otherwise the car has to have it's first service and oil change anyway after 10k or 1 year (whichever comes first). So for whatever reason yours is signalling an oil change 600 miles early.... Do you drive the car hard?

It doest have a particularly hard life, although I do spend a lot of time in traffic stuck in the Tyne Tunnel.
And like most I do enjoy the odd bit of spirited driving.

I think from the responses so far its not too out of the ordinary to be needing an oil service at 9K miles then.

Its in the Dealers tomorrow for a couple of small warranty jobs (which they probably wont have the parts for) so I will probably book it in for a few weeks time (when Ive done another 400miles) and get the lot done at the same time.
Will be back from Hols then so can think about long overdue remap!

Is there any benefit in switching to fixed services or is variable the better regime?

Cheers
Paul

My S3 only has a service indicator not oil change and it is going to have it's first oil change/service at a nice 17k miles...

Ohh... rear tires are still the original ones and I am pretty confident they will last until november still!! Impressive!!

Got Michelins PS2 for the front... great tire!!!

Pedro

There is only a service indicator. Every odd service is just an oil change and every even service is oil, air filter(and plugs i think) etc.

Ive not long had my oil/filter change , just had a look at the DIS.

Milage 9399 miles

Oil = 10300 miles or 398 days

Service = 9700 miles or 727 days

I should be looking at oil change/service together at around 19k miles.

p

On later cars there are 2 indicators, one for oil changes, the other for services.

I didn't know that either. Mine just has a service indicator like JamieKip. Got it serviced about 4 weeks ago which included the oil & filter at 12500 miles and 1 year.

DIS is now showing service in 15500 miles.

Checked mine out yestersay and my oil needs doing in 7,000 miles approx. Already got 6,000 on the clock so thats a change at around 13,000 miles.

On variable service and it says 13,000 until my first service so that will be knocking on the door of 20,000!

Worth getting the stamp i agree. Not sure i agree with paying circa £150 for it..... Could buy the parts myself from audi and do the oil change!

Ho Hum