Coming Home & Leaving Home Lights Enabled

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
I was over at my parents' house this afternoon waiting for my brother arrive down with my new FBMFSW (I got it delivered to him during the week) and got a bit bored, so I decided to have a go at getting the Coming Home & Leaving Home Lights to work. My car didn't have them from the factory and I'd seen them on my brother and father's GTIs.

The only thing you need for the mod is one repair wire and access to VAGCOM.

I already had the required repair wire left over from my Aux-In install on my RNS-e a couple of weeks ago (which I got for free) so the total cost of this mod was zero.

Head on over to my retrofit site for the full guide.

The sidelights, dipped lights and tail lights turn on once you turn the ignition off and remove the key and stay on for the period you define in VAGCOM.

When you unlock the car the same lights come on and stay on until one of the following three events occur:
1) You open the driver's door
2) You lock the car again
3) The period specified in VAGCOM elapses.

Any questions on the install just ask.

Reactions: Paul5, iucle, DeeGee68 and 1 other person
I was over at my parents' house this afternoon waiting for my brother arrive down with my new FBMFSW (I got it delivered to him during the week) and got a bit bored, so I decided to have a go at getting the Coming Home & Leaving Home Lights to work. My car didn't have them from the factory and I'd seen them on my brother and father's GTIs.

The only thing you need for the mod is one repair wire and access to VAGCOM.

I already had the required repair wire left over from my Aux-In install on my RNS-e a couple of weeks ago (which I got for free) so the total cost of this mod was zero.

Head on over to my retrofit site for the full guide.

The sidelights, dipped lights and tail lights turn on once you turn the ignition off and remove the key and stay on for the period you define in VAGCOM.

When you unlock the car the same lights come on and stay on until one of the following three events occur:
1) You open the driver's door
2) You lock the car again
3) The period specified in VAGCOM elapses.

Any questions on the install just ask.

Did you manage to get the FBMFSW fitted?

Nice little mod too mate :)

Hi Marc, some questions if you dont mind

Do you need the auto lights/wipers or auto dimming mirrors for this to function? From the pic of the light switch in your site, it seems like a no?

Just to confirm, the light switch can be left at off position and when you remove the key, the dipped lights will come on?

Without the light sensors, this mod will switch on the lights regardless of surrounding brightness?

Oh, and you need to trim your nails:)

Marc how'd you know it was an earth & pin position?

Thanks Marc.

Lee once you've sussed it , do you fancy doing mine? on your way home from work sometime?

Thanks

leon

So the factory fitted coming home switch just earths this pin to enable/disable the feature?

Wow! Thanks a million!
Had to wait 4 months for a S3 specced with auto lights but couldnt so i bought a new one without it to find that it looks a mission to retrofit until now. Dont really care for the light sensor since i can do it myself but i missed the coming home/leaving home feature i had in my GTI more than i thought i would. Can't thank you enough Marc!:anbet:

Yep, I specced these on my S3 with autolights but had no idea it would be so simple to retrofit.. I guess you are getting a switch to turn them off and on but thats it!?.

Nice one Marc!

Fitting the light sensor in the rear view mirror support requires a new windscreen. Nice one Audi!

Marc how'd you know it was an earth & pin position?
I saw E\12 on a german forum for some issue some chap had with his coming home lights but it didn't say what current went into it.

I decided to test if by first attaching an earth, then a switched live and if those failed try a fixed live.

Luckily the earth sorted it first time.

So the factory fitted coming home switch just earths this pin to enable/disable the feature?

I assume there is just an earth pass-through on the switch, so turning it off breaks the circuit and earth does not pass to the pin.

There is an option in VAGCOM to enable the lights by adaptation or light sensor.

I don't mind the lights coming on for 30 seconds each time. Since it cost me nothing to do, I can't really complain!

If you don't want them to come on then what you can do is turn off the engine, remove the key, lock the door with the remote, unlock with the remote to activate the leaving home and then lock again with the remote.

Marc, just a suggestion, what about activating the front fogs as well?

They really light up the path right in front of the car imho. And it would look tits too!

Plus, I rarely use them, so it'd be a nice chance to check if they are out.

Nah, doesn't appear to be an option as far as I can see.

If you blow a fog bulb the cold diagnostic procedure will flag it when you turn on the ignition and you'll get a nice picture on your DIS to say that your front left or right fog light is blown.

I'll take a look and see if there is a config option for it, but it is doubtful.

I just done this mod and it doesn't work on mine................

Put a earth wire to Pin12 on Connector E and earthed it and set it all up on vag-com and nothing happens........................tits.

I assume you've taken an earth from your footwell lighting install? Can you try it against the bolt I've used to see does it work from there?

I'm not doubting that you've done it properly, but if you set it up the same way as I have and it still doesn't work then we can begin to diagnose it.

I assume you've taken an earth from your footwell lighting install? Can you try it against the bolt I've used to see does it work from there?

I'm not doubting that you've done it properly, but if you set it up the same way as I have and it still doesn't work then we can begin to diagnose it.

yup its the same set up as yours.

Has anyone else done this mod and did it successfully?

I wonder if having xenons make a difference.............

Hmm... that's strange. Wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.

Does anybody with Xenons have coming\leaving home enabled from the factory? If so, which lights come on?

I'll have to do some research into the wiring diagram for the feature and see what difference there is.

Does anybody with Xenons have coming\leaving home enabled from the factory? If so, which lights come on?

I have xenons with the coming/leaving home from the factory and can confirm that the dipped beam and sidelights come on for either function.
I must admit I would prefer the fog lamps to come on instead, as they light up the immediate area around the car much better.

Just had a thought, if you have an 08 car with a convenience module newer than revision F you can change the coming home lights on/off delay via the DIS. Thats once you have done the mod and enabled the feature with vagcom.

Just had a thought, if you have an 08 car with a convenience module newer than revision F you can change the coming home lights on/off delay via the DIS. Thats once you have done the mod and enabled the feature with vagcom.

Have you done this mod John?

No, I have the factory stuff installed and the old module so I cant turn that on either :(

I see.

I'm going to try this mod as soon as my new laptop arrives. Hopefully Marc and Robin will have an answer by then. :o.k:

I enabled the lights in vagcom and enabled it in DIS. Worked without any additional wiring. I can set delays in DIS etc. Have bi-xenons which are standard in South Africa.
Forgot to check what code my module was though.
I don't have autolights (yet) but when you take out key from ignition the parking light symbol in light switch
And head lights go on. If you unlock with remote, head lights stay on till you open door. Also enabled other things
like emergency brake flash etc while I had car connected.

Sounds as if the cars with the later ECU (the one that puts the settings on the DIS menu) may have the earth wire already in pin 12 and it just needs to be enabled in VAGCOM to allow you to set the adaptation via the DIS menus.

Would you have time to remove the lower dash trim and check plug E to see if it has a wire in pin 12?

My lights operate in the same way that yours do.

I have also enabled the emergency brake flash. I've actually had it kick in twice when someone tried to pull out of a junction as I approached.