RNS-e functions

JustCharlie

Reaction score
I'm waiting delivery of my S3 and its comin with the RNS-e, now I know its a DVD based sat-nav, but are there any other functions I should know about

Sorry...

SDS: Speech Dialogue System - lets you talk to the RNS-e to change menus, select a nav destination, change radio stations, change tracks\discs, etc.

VIM: Video In Motion - allows a video input to be watched above 5km\h

AUX: Aux-In Port for your iPod or other mp3 type device - see the Aux-In link in my signature.

MP3: 2 x SD Card slots for playing MP3 tracks.

BT: Bluetooth phone prep

TMC: Traffic Management thingy that takes traffic updates in real time and reroutes your round them if necessary.

worth mentioning is that non VIM and SDS dont work from the factory in this country; they need to be 'hacked' and BT only works if you have specified phone prep!.
I think Marc is saying what can be done if you have the know how!.

So how do you hack it to allow SDS ..... ?

It's a firmware upgrade to get it done, but you need the micrphone from the bluetooth kit installed. It does help when trying to enter a street name in the nav as the scrolling wheel is silly while driving, it doesnt help when sometimes for no reason it just doesnt understand what you're saying.

worth mentioning is that non VIM and SDS dont work from the factory in this country; they need to be 'hacked' and BT only works if you have specified phone prep!.
I think Marc is saying what can be done if you have the know how!.

Does this mean that not all RNS-E has BT?
Or am I reading it wrong, does it just need enabling/hacking?

The bluetooth is a standalone module which plugs into the RNS-E unit and does the phone calls. The hacking is where use the bluetooth microphone to enable voice recognition in the RNS-E

So my new car with RNS-e and BT phone kit will have all the voice recog stuff already enabled

Unless you ticked voice recognition, no, you normally pay extra for it. But since you have the BT kit already installed you can enable the voice recognition with a hacked firmware upgrade.

Sorry if I'm being thick - but where / how do I get hold of a "hacked firmware upgrade". Is it a dealer visit that's required or just access to Vagcom ?

The BT is completely standalone and does not use the RNS E to dial. If you have RNS-E, it can use the BT.
NO rns-e systems in this country have voice control enabled (SDS). This is hacked (at some risk of rendering the unit useless!) by a firmware upgrade run from a CD-rom. Once this hack is in place, you then need to run thr bluetooth mic in series through the RNS-e (and then back to the bluetooth unit) which is a bit fiddly to say the least.

So.. hacking the rns-e in itself does not enable voice control of itself; you need to wire it all up too..

Marc has done an excellent write up somewhere....

Sorry if I'm being thick - but where / how do I get hold of a "hacked firmware upgrade". Is it a dealer visit that's required or just access to Vagcom ?

I have a copy of the hacked SDS enabled SW0650 which I have shared with several other members over the last number of weeks. I have not posted it directly on this forum as I don't want my bandwidth allowance to max out if other forums link into it. I'll PM you with the links and notes on how to enable SDS and either install a new microphone or reroute the wires to from your BT kit (if you already have the mic installed).

Just about to head out now, but I'll send the details later tonight or tomorrow.

You will need access to VAGCOM for the procedure.

BTW Marc, I bought my car in Germany and all settings were in German. Managed to change everything to English except the following:
BT commands in DIS are in German. Do you know a way to change that?
I have a Vagcom.

Thnx in advance

I have a copy of the hacked SDS enabled SW0650 which I have shared with several other members over the last number of weeks. I have not posted it directly on this forum as I don't want my bandwidth allowance to max out if other forums link into it. I'll PM you with the links and notes on how to enable SDS and either install a new microphone or reroute the wires to from your BT kit (if you already have the mic installed).

Just about to head out now, but I'll send the details later tonight or tomorrow.

You will need access to VAGCOM for the procedure.

Can you also send to me please Marc?

BTW Marc, I bought my car in Germany and all settings were in German. Managed to change everything to English except the following:
BT commands in DIS are in German. Do you know a way to change that?
I have a Vagcom.

Thnx in advance

You'll need to recode your BT module. Should be just the last digit from 1 to 2, but if the car was german then you'll probably need to change the second last digit to a 2 also. However, if you are enabling SDS then you'll need to change the second last digit to an 8.

# 77 (Phone)
Coding - Function 07

?xxxx: type (car)
0 - with CAN-bus (A2, A3, TT)
1 - D3/C6 High-System
2 - C6 Standard-System

x?xxx: type (Steeringwheel)
0 - non multifunction steering wheel
1 - standard steering wheel
2 - modular steering wheel

xx?xx: installed components
1 - none
2 - MFL
3 - HU
4 - MFL and HU
5 - K-line
6 - MFK and K-line
7 - HU and K-line
8 - MFL, HU and K-line

HU = Head Unit (i.e. RNS-D/E)
MFL = Multifunction Steeringwheel

xxx?x: language for voice control
0 - voice control off
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)
8 - Voice control from external device (i.e. RNS-E)

xxxx?: Language for DIS
0 - no DIS display
1 - German
2 - English (UK)
3 - French
4 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (US)

If you want to fiddle about with volume and timeout settings then go into Adaptation and look at the following:

#77 Adaptation 10

-> Channel 128 (Base Volume)
000 - 0dB (no increase/decrease)
001 - +1dB increase
003 - +3dB increase
006 - +6dB increase
128 - -1dB decrease
130 - -3dB decrease
133 - -6dB decrease

-> Channel 129 time after ignition off
000 - 30 Sekunden
001 - 5 Minuten
002 - 10 Minuten
240 - 20 Stunden

-> Channel 131 (Microphone Sensitivity)
000 - 0dB (no increase/decrease)
001 - +1dB increase
002 - +2dB increase
003 - +3dB increase
004 - +4dB increase
005 - +5dB increase
006 - +6dB increase
128 - -1dB decrease
129 - -2dB decrease
130 - -3dB decrease
131 - -4dB decrease
132 - -5dB decrease
133 - -6dB decrease

-> Channel 133 (BT)
BT activate/deactivate.

-> Channel 134 (handsfree)
0 - handsfree over BT
1 - handsfree only with mobile in cradle

-> Channel 135 (BT-PassKey)
default: 1234

You'll need to recode your BT module. Should be just the last digit from 1 to 2, but if the car was german then you'll probably need to change the second last digit to a 2 also. However, if you are enabling SDS then you'll need to change the second last digit to an 8.

If you want to fiddle about with volume and timeout settings then go into Adaptation and look at the following:
oh thnx Marc:)
Car was ordered new in Germany so it is a german market spec but I do have the SDS option. I will follow your instruction and give it a try.
highly appreciated.

Nice one Marc - forgive me, I always post this on RNS-E threads, but for anyone else interested in anything like this, check out http://www.navplus.us. It's a forum for all things RNS-E and is home to some very talented people. As well as the SDS hack, there's guys on there who have enabled in-motion TV (for passengers obviously) and there's a very long running thread on reverse-engineering the RNS-E software with a view to customising it and adding POIs like speed cameras etc. Early days but always worth a read.

Nice one Marc - forgive me, I always post this on RNS-E threads, but for anyone else interested in anything like this, check out http://www.navplus.us. It's a forum for all things RNS-E and is home to some very talented people. As well as the SDS hack, there's guys on there who have enabled in-motion TV (for passengers obviously) and there's a very long running thread on reverse-engineering the RNS-E software with a view to customising it and adding POIs like speed cameras etc. Early days but always worth a read.

There's guys on here who have done the video in motion hack too (and managed to get the nav lady to come out of the correct speaker afterwards!).

Yeah, navplus is a great site - however I find that I only visit it now and again, not all the time. Normally only if I want to check a setting or something - I don't really bother with any of the threads unless the header sounds interesting. It is a great repository of all things RNS-e and is very useful for anyone who is debating whether or not to buy an RNS-e and is really helpful if you plan on doing the installation yourself and are not particularly au fait with how to take your car apart and play with the various vagcom settings.