Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

2.0 TDI, difficult starter

Hi All,

I've had an '05 2.0 TDI for around a month and it always seems to struggle to start when it's been raining. It will attempt to fire up quite quickly, but will only start proper on the 3rd / 4th attempt. I am waiting for the preheat lamp to go out each time.

I've got an AA warranty, so if it is something serious(ish) I'll be able o get it sorted, but wondered if there were any common things to look at before booking it in.

Thanks.

Tim.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I would say glowplugs or coilpacks at fault, but change the plugs 1st mate as if engine is turning over but not starting its unlikely the starter motor, maybe damp in the cylinders, but plugs 1st call & cheapest.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    Aren't coilpacks on only petrols to create the HT voltage for the sparkplugs ?

If it is only when raining it would suggest that something is getting damp, possibly in the glowplug area which pre-heats the cylinder for easier starting.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah but they do also have plugs on diesel cars so they would need the packs aswell no?

Yeah I did mention dampness, which is maybe why the plugs arent sparking that well, I'm assuming the plugs dry up after 3-5 turnovers which inturn the engine comes to life.

6th Gear

Status
    No spark plugs on a diesel so now coilpacks, the glowplugs just have 12v and pre-heat the cylinder, a combination of pressure and heat ignites the air diesel mixture in a diesel engine.

If it was a cold start situation it could either be that the glowplugs need replacing or the coolant temp sensor (tells the ECU the engine temp and so if a pre-heat is required).

Paul
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

5th Gear

Status
    Mine struggles to start too. I mean it starts first time but it doesn't fire-up straight away. Seems like it's getting old or something heh.

How much would Glow Plugs cost and is it easy to fit on your own?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Jazz, do the FSD's make alot of difference to yours?

6th Gear

Status
    Personally I like the combination it is sporty but without loosing too much compliance our what this Government jokingly call Roads.

The Ultralegerras have also helped the steering feel, much quicker initial turn in.

Paul
    Gone not forgotten -
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino View Post
    Mine struggles to start too. I mean it starts first time but it doesn't fire-up straight away. Seems like it's getting old or something heh.

How much would Glow Plugs cost and is it easy to fit on your own?
    From what I have read from ElsaWin (please correct me if I'm wrong) the glowplugs are under the top rocker cover on the 2.0 engine, so I would assume you need to have some experience with replacing rocker gaskets too.

So I in my case this would be a garage job, as the last gasket I changed on an engine (Peugeot) didn't seal properly and the oil blew out the top of the engine. Sort of put me off doing my own again, specially on an Audi engine.
    Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport (140) 3dr 2005 (05)