2.0 TDI, difficult starter

timcoupe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had an '05 2.0 TDI for around a month and it always seems to struggle to start when it's been raining. It will attempt to fire up quite quickly, but will only start proper on the 3rd / 4th attempt. I am waiting for the preheat lamp to go out each time.

I've got an AA warranty, so if it is something serious(ish) I'll be able o get it sorted, but wondered if there were any common things to look at before booking it in.

Thanks.

Tim.

I would say glowplugs or coilpacks at fault, but change the plugs 1st mate as if engine is turning over but not starting its unlikely the starter motor, maybe damp in the cylinders, but plugs 1st call & cheapest.

Aren't coilpacks on only petrols to create the HT voltage for the sparkplugs ?

If it is only when raining it would suggest that something is getting damp, possibly in the glowplug area which pre-heats the cylinder for easier starting.

Paul

Yeah but they do also have plugs on diesel cars so they would need the packs aswell no?

Yeah I did mention dampness, which is maybe why the plugs arent sparking that well, I'm assuming the plugs dry up after 3-5 turnovers which inturn the engine comes to life.

No spark plugs on a diesel so now coilpacks, the glowplugs just have 12v and pre-heat the cylinder, a combination of pressure and heat ignites the air diesel mixture in a diesel engine.

If it was a cold start situation it could either be that the glowplugs need replacing or the coolant temp sensor (tells the ECU the engine temp and so if a pre-heat is required).

Paul

Mine struggles to start too. I mean it starts first time but it doesn't fire-up straight away. Seems like it's getting old or something heh.

How much would Glow Plugs cost and is it easy to fit on your own?

Jazz, do the FSD's make alot of difference to yours?

Personally I like the combination it is sporty but without loosing too much compliance our what this Government jokingly call Roads.

The Ultralegerras have also helped the steering feel, much quicker initial turn in.

Paul

Mine struggles to start too. I mean it starts first time but it doesn't fire-up straight away. Seems like it's getting old or something heh.

How much would Glow Plugs cost and is it easy to fit on your own?

From what I have read from ElsaWin (please correct me if I'm wrong) the glowplugs are under the top rocker cover on the 2.0 engine, so I would assume you need to have some experience with replacing rocker gaskets too.

So I in my case this would be a garage job, as the last gasket I changed on an engine (Peugeot) didn't seal properly and the oil blew out the top of the engine. Sort of put me off doing my own again, specially on an Audi engine.