S3 facelift on "Ring"

2 pics from nürburg ring yesterday

Doesent the first version looks more sporty

Audi RS3 2012, Black, Black optik, Recaro, Satnav

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    urm, the first version just looks closer!

The wing mirrors on these are HUGE! They almost compare to the Q7!

5th Gear

Status
    I've gotta say, I do prefer the pre-facelift look. Maybe in time the new one will grow on me.

6th Gear

Status
    do ... or dont?

6th Gear

Status
    It's the SB version too.

Can't quite put my finger on it but something around the driver's side A-pillar doesn't look quite right. Maybe it is the fact that the mirrors are out of proportion with the rest of the car or something. The door:glass ratio seems a bit off because of the mirrors (if that makes sense!).

Does the SB have a steeper windscreen than the 3dr? It also looks very long at the side

jamiekip
    Marc - completely agree with you about the mirrors - they maybe safer for the blind peeps to see what's behind them, but the really do look odd, especially when you see pics of the car from head on. Maybe all cars will have them that size soon, but right now they do look a little.... wrong. Funnily enough, the silver of the S mirrors doesn't help, kind of draws your eyes to it more!
    Still not stopping me thinking about upgrading to the new version....... maybe...... maybe not. Will see if I can do it without too much financial pain!

1st Gear

Status
    i agree, those mirrors are huge

09' imola yellow S3...
    h&r spings, forge twintake, forge dv, frc software, autotech hpfp, 76mm dp + zorst, bbs ch 19's & defi boost gauge

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dbndude View Post
    i agree, those mirrors are huge
    Why wait boet? Theres an Imola Yellow on Autohaus Centurions floor...this facelifted S3 doesn't look anywhere near as aggro as the first edition. Those mirrors are frikkin hideous!
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit222 View Post
    Why wait boet? Theres an Imola Yellow on Autohaus Centurions floor...this facelifted S3 doesn't look anywhere near as aggro as the first edition. Those mirrors are frikkin hideous!
    l already put my deposit down rabbit, luckily i chose folding mirrors though!!!

09' imola yellow S3...
    h&r spings, forge twintake, forge dv, frc software, autotech hpfp, 76mm dp + zorst, bbs ch 19's & defi boost gauge

Status
    remind me of the new scooby mirrors....they are HGV size!

3rd Gear

Status
    l already put my deposit down rabbit, luckily i chose folding mirrors though!!!
    Get your deposit back son...foding mirrors are not gonna hide those things boet, seriously.
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

1st Gear

Status
    yeah, i know what you're saying rabbit.
    but then again i don't want to be doing to this car what i did to the gti,
    keep on adding bits n pieces. i guess i just have to let it grow on me

09' imola yellow S3...

3rd Gear

Status
    yeah, i know what you're saying rabbit.
    but then again i don't want to be doing to this car what i did to the gti,
    keep on adding bits n pieces. i guess i just have to let it grow on me
    Adding bits and pieces is what makes this so much fun bru...ask MarcQ, the retrofitter extraordinaire! I've never had this much fun with a car...really man, i thought my other cars were fun...this certainly is taking the cake BUT yes, the choice is yours bro...

1st Gear

Status
    thats true, but this time i just want to throw in performance
    goodies, lowering springs and the 19's. all in 1 go too...

09' imola yellow S3...

6th Gear

Status
    I genuinely don't think the mirrors are any different. It would have been easy enough for Audi to put a indicator in the current mirror housing. The purple facelift in the post today looked the same size.

Think it looks just as good as the pre facelift also, minimal changes really not enough to say it looks less aggressive. Oh and I'm not saying this because I have one on order too!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    The wing mirrors on these are HUGE! They almost compare to the Q7!

Yes, but it may stop the scumbags stealing them, as the market for selling them will be reduced as it won't fit as many cars.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

6th Gear

Status
    I prefer the look of the current style, don't like the facelift and thats on the whole A3 range not only the S3.

L60N
    ROFL HGV MIRRORS!!

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    I can't see anything good about that car whatsoever. A Solar Orange 5 door hatch back with enormous chrome mirrors.... I'll pass thanks. Sorry but what kind of person is THAT car aimed at??
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    I genuinely don't think the mirrors are any different.
    You CANNOT be serious !!

Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    You CANNOT be serious !!

I think it's the slightly different shape of the mounts as well as the mirrors.

They look like Shrek's ears

p

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    You CANNOT be serious !!
    Why couldn't Audi have used similar styling to the Mk5 GTI mirrors? Its more or less the same size as the current S3 mirrors but incorporates the indicator and doesn't scream at you like these do....

Look at this pic posted up by Kontraband

Compared to the current spec...

Last edited by Rabbit222; 19th July 2008 at 08:18.

On Boost

Status
    I'm not so keen on the new S wheels either, i like the pre face lift wheels more.

Saying that though , i like the face lift lights, tweaked Haldex , Free FBMFSW and arm rest.

p

5th Gear

Status
    New Facelift:

I Like:
    Rear light cluster
    Bonnet grooves
    Increased spec (FBMFSW as standard etc.)

I Dislike:
    Comedy wing mirrors
    Fog light surrounds - honeycomb looks more aggressive: new stuff looks "A3" to me
    Front light cluster
    New wheels
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit222 View Post
    Why couldn't Audi have used similar styling to the Mk5 GTI mirrors? Its more or less the same size as the current S3 mirrors but incorporates the indicator and doesn't scream at you like these do....
    The mirror caps part numbers are from the A5 and the indicator bars are from the Q7!

The A3Cab and A4 caps are the same as the A5 ones while the Q7 ones are a different number.

I think the MkV Golf mirrors would be better suited to the shape of the new A3.

6th Gear

Status
    The fog light surrounds are honeycomb Im led to believe probs not the best pic to see them on the sportback above.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah, they are honeycomb, but there are two horizontal slats on them too so the honeycomb is less prominent.

3rd Gear

Status
    A better pic,

3rd Gear

Status
    Another,

1st Gear

Status
    I like the silver S3 Ears dont look so big in that colour

2008 Audi S3

Status
    Like the silver one too, which is why I ended up trading in one S3 for another one but in silver. The silver just seemed to show more "cut" and harder lines when looking at it from different angles, especially the hatch section when driving past. The blue one I had it didnt look as aggro, it just looked "soft".

What changes are there to the haldex that you guys are mentioning? I agree with Iggu on his post, except we got always had FBMFSW as standard

***** rent boy

Status
    You lot do realise that every newly designed car will now have huge wing mirrors? It's the law I'm afraid. I was a big fan of the RS4's forked, sleek mirrors but now they'll be like the RS6 thanks to health and safety.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    You lot do realise that every newly designed car will now have huge wing mirrors? It's the law I'm afraid. I was a big fan of the RS4's forked, sleek mirrors but now they'll be like the RS6 thanks to health and safety.
    Why is that?

Standard glass size for every car now?

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    The new M3 must have lipped under the radar then?? They dont appear to look like HGV mirrors...

1st Gear

Status
    Lots of people here seem to be trying to find reasons to dislike the new S3 - is it coincidence that many of them seem to own the current model? I've never seen that happen on a car forum, EVER!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalex View Post
    Lots of people here seem to be trying to find reasons to dislike the new S3 - is it coincidence that many of them seem to own the current model? I've never seen that happen on a car forum, EVER!
    Not really mate, a little bit of constructive criticism is all that it is. I love my old spec S3 with all its bits and bobs...makes me feel special

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalex View Post
    It's not the new S3 in particular - it is the entire A3 range. Some changes appear to have been made with no consideration for style - almost as if the health and safety brigade had a seat at the design meetings.

You'll find that most of us on the 8P forum own the current model A3 - coincidence? maybe!

Most people are in agreement that the new rear lights are an improvement which is why most of have ordered a set. Not many of us will be ordering the new mirrors or front bumper though.

***** rent boy

Status
    Actually, I don't think it's all new cars, but if you look at the new C-class, facelift 3 series and all new Audi models they all have larger wing mirrors. I doubt it's for aesthetic purposes, more than likely to meet some new EU regulations coming in sometime soon.

3rd Gear

Status
    I have a pre-facelift S3, and the facelift model is certainly growing on me, especially as there is a SB version coming out (growing family) and with DSG (which I love). I think with the roof rails, it looks like a mini RS4/6!?! I was going to change for an RS4 avant but they seem to be loosing money quickly at the moment, so will probably end up with a S3 SB, with Milltek and re-map of course!
    Last edited by Oli.; 19th July 2008 at 19:59.
    www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk VW California hire and sales

Neutral

Status
    The VW wing mirrors they have slapped on are spoiling all Audi's if you ask me.... it's sad
    2008 A3 2.0 TDI S-line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast