S3 facelift on "Ring"

wolfbane1967

Reaction score
2 pics from nürburg ring yesterday

Doesent the first version looks more sporty:think:

IMG_1348_J.jpg

IMG_1347_J.jpg

urm, the first version just looks closer! ;)

The wing mirrors on these are HUGE! They almost compare to the Q7!

I've gotta say, I do prefer the pre-facelift look. Maybe in time the new one will grow on me.

It's the SB version too.

Can't quite put my finger on it but something around the driver's side A-pillar doesn't look quite right. Maybe it is the fact that the mirrors are out of proportion with the rest of the car or something. The door:glass ratio seems a bit off because of the mirrors (if that makes sense!).

Does the SB have a steeper windscreen than the 3dr? It also looks very long at the side

Marc - completely agree with you about the mirrors - they maybe safer for the blind peeps to see what's behind them, but the really do look odd, especially when you see pics of the car from head on. Maybe all cars will have them that size soon, but right now they do look a little.... wrong. Funnily enough, the silver of the S mirrors doesn't help, kind of draws your eyes to it more!
Still not stopping me thinking about upgrading to the new version....... maybe...... maybe not. Will see if I can do it without too much financial pain!

Why wait boet? Theres an Imola Yellow on Autohaus Centurions floor...this facelifted S3 doesn't look anywhere near as aggro as the first edition. Those mirrors are frikkin hideous!

l already put my deposit down rabbit, luckily i chose folding mirrors though!!!

remind me of the new scooby mirrors....they are HGV size!

yeah, i know what you're saying rabbit.
but then again i don't want to be doing to this car what i did to the gti,
keep on adding bits n pieces. i guess i just have to let it grow on me :confused:

yeah, i know what you're saying rabbit.
but then again i don't want to be doing to this car what i did to the gti,
keep on adding bits n pieces. i guess i just have to let it grow on me :confused:

Adding bits and pieces is what makes this so much fun bru...ask MarcQ, the retrofitter extraordinaire! I've never had this much fun with a car...really man, i thought my other cars were fun...this certainly is taking the cake :) BUT yes, the choice is yours bro...

thats true, but this time i just want to throw in performance
goodies, lowering springs and the 19's. all in 1 go too...

I genuinely don't think the mirrors are any different. It would have been easy enough for Audi to put a indicator in the current mirror housing. The purple facelift in the post today looked the same size.

Think it looks just as good as the pre facelift also, minimal changes really not enough to say it looks less aggressive. Oh and I'm not saying this because I have one on order too!

I prefer the look of the current style, don't like the facelift and thats on the whole A3 range not only the S3.

I can't see anything good about that car whatsoever. A Solar Orange 5 door hatch back with enormous chrome mirrors.... I'll pass thanks. Sorry but what kind of person is THAT car aimed at??

You CANNOT be serious !!

Why couldn't Audi have used similar styling to the Mk5 GTI mirrors? Its more or less the same size as the current S3 mirrors but incorporates the indicator and doesn't scream at you like these do....

Look at this pic posted up by Kontraband

17072008334.jpg

Compared to the current spec...

dsc00134rm9.jpg

I'm not so keen on the new S wheels either, i like the pre face lift wheels more.

Saying that though , i like the face lift lights, tweaked Haldex , Free FBMFSW and arm rest.

p

New Facelift:

I Like:
Rear light cluster
Bonnet grooves
Increased spec (FBMFSW as standard etc.)

I Dislike:
Comedy wing mirrors
Fog light surrounds - honeycomb looks more aggressive: new stuff looks "A3" to me
Front light cluster
New wheels

Why couldn't Audi have used similar styling to the Mk5 GTI mirrors? Its more or less the same size as the current S3 mirrors but incorporates the indicator and doesn't scream at you like these do....

The mirror caps part numbers are from the A5 and the indicator bars are from the Q7!

The A3Cab and A4 caps are the same as the A5 ones while the Q7 ones are a different number.

I think the MkV Golf mirrors would be better suited to the shape of the new A3.

The fog light surrounds are honeycomb Im led to believe probs not the best pic to see them on the sportback above.

Like the silver one too, which is why I ended up trading in one S3 for another one but in silver. The silver just seemed to show more "cut" and harder lines when looking at it from different angles, especially the hatch section when driving past. The blue one I had it didnt look as aggro, it just looked "soft".

What changes are there to the haldex that you guys are mentioning? I agree with Iggu on his post, except we got always had FBMFSW as standard :)

You lot do realise that every newly designed car will now have huge wing mirrors? It's the law I'm afraid. I was a big fan of the RS4's forked, sleek mirrors but now they'll be like the RS6 thanks to health and safety.

You lot do realise that every newly designed car will now have huge wing mirrors? It's the law I'm afraid. I was a big fan of the RS4's forked, sleek mirrors but now they'll be like the RS6 thanks to health and safety.

Why is that?

Standard glass size for every car now?

The new M3 must have lipped under the radar then?? They dont appear to look like HGV mirrors... :sign_unfair:

Lots of people here seem to be trying to find reasons to dislike the new S3 - is it coincidence that many of them seem to own the current model? I've never seen that happen on a car forum, EVER!

Lots of people here seem to be trying to find reasons to dislike the new S3 - is it coincidence that many of them seem to own the current model? I've never seen that happen on a car forum, EVER!

Not really mate, a little bit of constructive criticism is all that it is. I love my old spec S3 with all its bits and bobs...makes me feel special :)

It's not the new S3 in particular - it is the entire A3 range. Some changes appear to have been made with no consideration for style - almost as if the health and safety brigade had a seat at the design meetings.

You'll find that most of us on the 8P forum own the current model A3 - coincidence? maybe!

Most people are in agreement that the new rear lights are an improvement which is why most of have ordered a set. Not many of us will be ordering the new mirrors or front bumper though.

Actually, I don't think it's all new cars, but if you look at the new C-class, facelift 3 series and all new Audi models they all have larger wing mirrors. I doubt it's for aesthetic purposes, more than likely to meet some new EU regulations coming in sometime soon.

c-class.jpg

thumb-3series-undisguised5.jpg

I have a pre-facelift S3, and the facelift model is certainly growing on me, especially as there is a SB version coming out (growing family) and with DSG (which I love). I think with the roof rails, it looks like a mini RS4/6!?! I was going to change for an RS4 avant but they seem to be loosing money quickly at the moment, so will probably end up with a S3 SB, with Milltek and re-map of course!

The VW wing mirrors they have slapped on are spoiling all Audi's if you ask me.... it's sad