Engine Management Lights On... Stall's when cold.

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi there,

The yellow engine management lights come on the dash and i'm not 100% sure what it's to do with.

The car seems to be running fine but sometimes stall's when reversing and braking in the morning and it idle's a bit up rough (barely noticable to the average person) when cold...

But Apart from that, everything seems fine.

I haven't got VAGCOM so can't check it myself but any ideas what the prob could be?

Sounds liek the MAf sensor to me but unsure?

Orrr.. if anyone has VAGCOM in the Manchester Area (Near Old Trafford), I'd be more than happy to pay for a few pints if someone could get VAGCOM on it.

Cheerss

coolant temperture sensor used to cause a few problems on the old 8L model, rough when cold. I havent heard if the newer model has that issue too.

Would you have had your timing belt or water pump replaced recently?

My brother's GTI had similar issues with the management light and the car then cut out once or twice. VAGCOM showed faults with the Mass Air Flow sensor. Turned out there was a pipe loose after replacing the belt and pump. I cleared the errors in VAGCOM and he tightened the pipe and all is back to normal now.

I've got my car booked in for a massive service (everything inc. Cambelt, Tensioners, Waterpump, Oil etc.)

Mass Air Sensor was my first hunch as it cuts out when reversing but only when cold....

I'll check for loose pipes and split pipes but the car seems to running fine :S

Is there anyway i could check the M.A.S sensor without VAGCOM?

Cheers