Number plates

Fast,not furious

Dealing with an OCD
Reaction score
Just seen a thread in the general chat about private plates,so thought i'd take a look (often browsing classifieds,with no luck)

.....and i've got myself S3...followed by my initials.:rockwoot:£250 queenie vouchers.Tacky?

Anyhows....what style plate shall i go for - ideas? /pics?

...oh,this is one mod i can't hide from the missus!:asskicking: i wonder how long she'll take to notice though!:detective2:

DSCI0106.jpg

DSCI0103.jpg

S3LTN_MTM.jpg

Our plates have the same number of characters...
I chose this style purely because in my opinion shorter number plates make the car look alot "beefier".

mm,ickle ones! I know what you're saying....and a plain understated surround,i never thought of that option! Looks like i might have to spend some time on photoshop! :sadlike:

Well they don't need to be a short as mine. Can make them longer but its an idea for you. :icon_thumright:

I really don't like 'shorty' numberplates.
IMO, far better to have the full size plate, even if the digits don't fill it.
I went for a carbon background/Alpina badge on mine, but I'm going off them.
I may just order new ones without any badging.

Indeed. The LP640 in my apartment car park has the reg plate 'W33PON' Weapon and his plate is the same, short. Man I love his car :jump:

Isnt that Scott Alexanders car?

German style:

mikea3_06.jpg

130720081761.jpg

Ive since ditched the D banded ones and gone for the same stlye without the D band.

German style:

mikea3_06.jpg

130720081761.jpg

Ive since ditched the D banded ones and gone for the same stlye without the D band.
LOL I wonder how many rules those plates break. I'm also not sure it's that wise to display your illegal plates here.

:rulez: :wtf:

Unless you are German why would you want German look alike plates........... I dont like those at all, sorry.

With the increasing use of Automatic Numberplate Recognition cameras by the police, personally I sure no point at all in having an illegal number plate. As I have a personal plate I don't want to risk having it taken away. I would prefer white plates front and rear, but the law currrently requires white and yellow so I have white and yellow.

As for putting German style numberplates, complete with the D symbol on a UK car. To me that's just plain stupid and illegal and just asking for trouble. Try getting away with that the other way round in Germany. I also agree completely with the MP who is trying to get the sale of so called 'show' plates on the internet made illegal. Perhaps it would help stop at least some of the problems created by someone putting someone else's number on their car. At least purchasing a set of plates over the counter requires a V5 to be produced.

Other counties in Europe do not have some much of this type of crime because number plates can only be obtained from a central source, usually a Government agency.

if nobody had notcied i did say i had changed the plates from having the "D" band on to normal german style plates. Ive had this type of plate on the audi since day 1 and ran my old golf for 3 years with the same plates, in all that time I got pulled ONCE and the reason the copper gave me for pulling me was because of the spacing of the plate, nothing was said about the style of the german plate or anything else. I wasnt even given a fine.

Unless you are German why would you want German look alike plates........... I dont like those at all, sorry.

its called "different tastes", ever heard of that? What 1 person may like, the other may not. Why do people put S3 alloys or bumpers on none S3 cars?:salute:

With the increasing use of Automatic Numberplate Recognition cameras by the police, personally I sure no point at all in having an illegal number plate. As I have a personal plate I don't want to risk having it taken away. I would prefer white plates front and rear, but the law currrently requires white and yellow so I have white and yellow.

As for putting German style numberplates, complete with the D symbol on a UK car. To me that's just plain stupid and illegal and just asking for trouble. Try getting away with that the other way round in Germany. I also agree completely with the MP who is trying to get the sale of so called 'show' plates on the internet made illegal. Perhaps it would help stop at least some of the problems created by someone putting someone else's number on their car. At least purchasing a set of plates over the counter requires a V5 to be produced.
Other counties in Europe do not have some much of this type of crime because number plates can only be obtained from a central source, usually a Government agency.

I agree with bits of this, but disagree with other bits.
Yes, the German plates are just asking for trouble, for sure.
Mine is 'technically' illegal because of the spacing and the lack of dealer details.
But the font type and size is legal, as is the colouring.
So I'm assuming ANPR wouldn't find mine a problem.
Which I like to think explains the complete lack of interest I've had from the coppers.
I seriously doubt anyone would get their plate taken away though, unless they were serial offenders.
I don't even think it's endorsable.:think:
Just a fine, isn't it?
If I were pulled, I would just hold my hands up, pay the fine and go back to legal spacing.

its illegal to do 31 mph in 30mph area but it hapens. **** hapens he doing it because it looks nic, not hard to understand that

so basically your saying ive put german style plates on for illegal purposes? :no: Ive put german style plates on becuase I like the look of them, end of. :nyah:
No, I'm not saying you've done it for illegal purposes, I'm saying it's illegal in it's own right.

so basically your saying ive put german style plates on for illegal purposes? :no: Ive put german style plates on becuase I like the look of them, end of. :nyah:

I don't think anyone's saying you've chosen those plates specifically to go about illegal practices.
Steady on.:no:

I must admit, it would hack me off to get fined the same as the person using those German plates.
Mine only breaks two of the umpteen requirements, after all.
Any fine should be based on how many of the requirements you break.
Say £10 per breach, per plate
So I'd face a £20 fine, per plate (illegal spacing and no dealer marks)
The German plates would face a £50 fine, per plate (illegal spacing, font type, font size, plate colours, no dealer marks).

No, I'm not saying you've done it for illegal purposes, I'm saying it's illegal in it's own right.

and im not dis-agreeing that my plates are illegal, im merely pointing out that the reason i have my plates the way they are is because i feel they look better the way they are. And with 5 years motoring on the same plates and only being pulled once and let off I guess it cant be that bad to the police, even tho they are not 100% legal.

If that worked, I'd buy smaller t-shirts.

:think: Im talking about number plates mate... not t-shirts.

The short number plate on the back of my car makes it look wider whereas if I had the same number plate on normal plates it would'nt give off that look.
If I had standard DVLA issued number plate then so be it... cant shorten them for obvious reasons would leave them as they are.

Bowfer i'm sure you don't look that bad in a smaller t-shirt ................ :puke:

This is obviously a very British thing - having illegal number plates. Having just spent two weeks driving in Germany and Switzerland I don't think I saw any illegal plates. Private plates yes, but no illegal plates The problem of someone's plate being copied and then used for criminal purposes is getting to be a real problem in the UK. Lots of other countries don't have the problem because of the way plates are supplied. If the purchase of number plates on the internet was illegal then you would have to produce a V5 document to get a set of plates and the suppliers could easily be traced if they made up illegal plates.

The police are increasing using ANR to help to combat this area of crime.

Oops,can of worms? C'mon guys,it's not far 'til wine o'clock!

Any more pics??

Well at least it livened up the forum a bit. It was getting a little dull!!

If the purchase of number plates on the internet was illegal then you would have to produce a V5 document to get a set of plates and the suppliers could easily be traced if they made up illegal plates.

Yeah, and what an utter pain in the **** that would be.
And what would it cost, using 'approved suppliers'?
I'm very familiar with the palavour getting reg marks transferred between cars as it is.
It's a friggin nightmare, and costs a small fortune every time.
Making us use approved plate suppliers would only push the cost up even further.:no::keule::sob:

Does anyone know if there is a size restriction on number plates. I know the DVLA rules cover colour, font, stroke thickness, spacing, margins, use of county and EU symbols and just about every thing else, but I cannot see anything which says the plate has to be a certain size. Perhaps it's part of the BS which the plates have to comply with.

Does anyone know if there is a size restriction on number plates. I know the DVLA rules cover colour, font, stroke thickness, spacing, margins, use of county and EU symbols and just about every thing else, but I cannot see anything which says the plate has to be a certain size. Perhaps it's part of the BS which the plates have to comply with.

Oh, there definitely are rules on plate size, 100%.
I don't know what they are though, sorry.

Yeah, and what an utter pain in the **** that would be.
And what would it cost, using 'approved suppliers'?
I'm very familiar with the palavour getting reg marks transferred between cars as it is.
It's a friggin nightmare, and costs a small fortune every time.
Making us use approved plate suppliers would only push the cost up even further.:no::keule::sob:

But that's the situation at the moment. The only place you can purchased a legal number plate is from an 'approved supplier' on the production of a V5 document. Most dealers are 'approved suppliers' for new car registrations.

Does that mean your company is regulally braking the law!

But that's the situation at the moment. The only place you can purchased a legal number plate is from an 'approved supplier' on the production of a V5 document.

Halfords are an approved number plate supplier.
I've had many a plate made there, without being asked for the V5.