Springs / Height of the S3 question

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
I have recently noticed on my friends S3, that his car is now MUCH lower after he removed some H&R springs. After they put the OEM ones back, his car is much lower than mine! This got me thinking, since there isnt much things to install incorrectly, is it possible that there is a spacer in the suspension, such as in the MKIV golfs? I mean, many times, for some countries the manufacturers raise their cars a little bit to avoid damage in bad roads. I know in many cases the springs are the same, they only make them taller adding some kinds of spacers at the spring or at the spring perch.

Does anyone have any input on the front S3 suspension?? If anyone knows about this, I will appreciate it!

Yes it is......why?
In my opinion, the ride with the H&Rs is too harsh for our roads (plus I have 19s)!

Yes it is......why?
In my opinion, the ride with the H&Rs is too harsh for our roads (plus I have 19s)!

I didn't know if you had changed to H&R's yourself.

I don't think there was any kind of spacers ( ive just asked the lads who fitted my H&R's ) in there before the change.

Your mates car , let me get this correct , he's gone back to Std springs , but it looks lower than your car does Std, but not as low as it was with his H&R's on?

Thanks

p

is one car on 18's and the other on 19's????
Maybe it's the wheels????

Well yes, my mates car, after going back to the OEM springs, is lower, not only next to mine with the 19s but also compared to other S3 with 18 inch wheels!

It is also noticeable, too!

I was guessing there could be some sort of spacer in the suspension which was not reinstalled as they put the springs back......our S3 is much higher than what you get in the UK stock :(

No spacer in the suspension as I have done the same as above, I have taken H + R springs off and put the standard ones back on and the ride height went back to normal.

All I can think of is the springs have been damaged in some way or not put on right if its lower???

No spacer in the suspension as I have done the same as above, I have taken H + R springs off and put the standard ones back on and the ride height went back to normal.

All I can think of is the springs have been damaged in some way or not put on right if its lower???

How does it feel coming off H&R's and going back to Std?

p

How does it feel coming off H&R's and going back to Std?

p

Totally **** mate!

I could not believe the difference it made, the H + R's make it feel so much more planted and secure around the twisty roads. The visual difference was far better too.

Totally **** mate!

I could not believe the difference it made, the H + R's make it feel so much more planted and secure around the twisty roads. The visual difference was far better too.

Thats it then i was in two minds about going back to Std ( just because i can't remember Std ) but not now. :)

Does anyone know the damper rate of the Std springs ( rear ) and the H&R springs ( rear )

p

Looks like mines getting the H&R treatment (springs and roll bars) next weekend :eyebrows:

Ive kept the springs for the new one on its way, thats the first thing I'll be doing to it after I pick it up!

They have only done around 10k so will be fine for the new car!

I want a slightly higher back end than it is now ( with the H&R's on ) i'm wondering if H&R could make me a custom set of rears ( same damper rate ) that only drop 15mil instead of 25mil.

Is it a goer?

p

You can use the H + R springs for the 2.0TFSI Quattro which are slightly higher than the S3 ones, and guess what.......I have a brand new set never used sat in the garage for sale.....

Thay may not be the same damper rate though! thats whats stoping me putting the Std springs ( which i have a feeling are made by H&R ) back on.

If the front is stiff as **** and the rears like a jelly HEDGE BOUND!!!!!!

lol

p

I am thinking maybe my car HAS spacers and yours do not.......

I will look into it on the weekend and let you know!!