got my s3 dyno'd today.

Just a quick note to point out that Awesome's rollers were not reading optimistically. Everything other than the 8P S3s put out near enough exactly what was expected. It was just the std 8P S3s that were showing unusually high figures.

The same with the rollers ay Prosport , the 8L S3's got what was expected/under and the remapped 8P S3's got what was expected/under.

It was just the Std 8P S3's that were showing unusually high figures. :thumbsup:

p

Hey guys, In regards to the trial software:

Trial is around 80% (if not less) of the potential of full software, it's limited as it has to revert to standard performance running once it expires. If it was equivalent to full code it couldn't do this.
Many people try to use the trial software as a comparison tool... it was never intended to be used as this. The idea behind trial was to let people that would never have considered tuning their cars feel what they're missing out on, not to compare Revo to anybody elses tuning.
Trial on the newer MED9 ECUs does actually need to be setup, yet some dealers leave them at low defaults which would basically mean there is no timing advance.
As for Rolling Roads, the complications start with the operators not understanding the adaptive nature of the ECUs running these cars. The Jap ECUs don't tend to work in the same way, most Evo's for example have a regular map and a 'safe mode' map. The VAG ECU will pull back load if it sees anything it doesn't like. Which on the majority of rolling roads this is what happens, thus seeing low figures.

The VAG ECU will pull back load if it sees anything it doesn't like. Which on the majority of rolling roads this is what happens, thus seeing low figures.

This is a very interesting point.

So what are the REVO Stage 1 default settings for the 8P S3. Assuming its running minumum 97RON fuel?

cheers
Paul

Kev - would the 'pull back load' scenrio be the same for the standard setting of the ECU as well as remapped ECU's??
If it is, wouldn't we have seen the standard cars at the prosport day backing off too?
The more you here about this, the more confusing Rolling Road results become!
:think:

Yes and no...

the stock car is running a much lower boost level, as such it doesn't create as much heat. With the higher boost levels the car is much more prone to heatsoak and the protection systems will have a bigger effect. On a standard car with inadequate cooling you can get away without the ECU pulling back too much, on a tuned car the intake temps will be higher regardless and it takes much less for the ECU to pull back or go into EGT protection and dump in fuel. We get a lot of calls saying my car is down on power and running very rich... this is always after a rolling road session when the car has been put on the dyno hot and hasn't had efficient cooling, the ECU has noted this and dumped in more fuel to cool everything down thus the low power and rich mixture = EGT protection!
Typical rolling road print outs I would always take with a pinch of salt, they can be great tools when used efficiently but it's more often the case that they're there to increase a companies profile (of course there are many companies that is anything but the case with though!) A vast majority of customers would look at companies and see the presence of a rolling road as a plus point, which isn't always the case.
It's not very often that you see a VAG behave on a rolling road the same as it does on the road.
Something else to note, peak power and torque figures don't tell a full story! It's very easy to get wound up in the 'my car makes 10bhp more than yours...' situation. If you have a car that makes 'x' amount more on a rolling road at it's peak figures it doesn't always mean it will be faster on the road. Look at the area under the curve, the midrange increases... this is normally where the 'useable' power (and especially torque) increases are. Another comman dialogue we get from customers is: 'My car doesn't make as much power as my friends running blahblahblah software' look into it more and normally the car is still faster than the friends car on the road and feels better to drive, smoother, more 'get up and go', and overall more efficient! So it's not all about peak figures!

I hope that makes sense ;)

This is a very interesting point.

So what are the REVO Stage 1 default settings for the 8P S3. Assuming its running minumum 97RON fuel?

cheers
Paul

Sorry Paul, I hadn't responded to your post...

There is no default setting is the long and short of it. We recommend defaults depending on the fuel quality but we always try to get dealers to monitor the cars and set them up to suit. The Select switch performance default value can actually be changed by the dealers to suit your car!
Our recommendations would be Boost6, fuel9, timing 3-5(95ron) or 4-6(97/98ron)

Have a look at the Select Plus user guide for a little more indepth details of how a car should be setup... https://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SelectPlus_AdvancedUserGuide_V0707.pdf

Mine will be on the RR soon and so might swap them over to see the difference between the carbonio and the stock box with the panel filter still in.
I'd be very interested in this also, as I believe that the Carbonio is just good for looks and i've seen 3 cars now that have made a few bhp LESS with it on than they made standard.. :ermm:

Plus on the last RR we went out and did some VAGCOM readings in mine (OEM intake and filter) and it was getting better MAF readings than the Carbonio too.. The reading peaked at 255 if that means anything to anybody..:wacko: Haven't got VAGCOM, so all over my head.. ;)

I'd be very interested in this also, as I believe that the Carbonio is just good for looks and i've seen 3 cars now that have made a few bhp LESS with it on than they made standard.. :ermm:

Plus on the last RR we went out and did some VAGCOM readings in mine (OEM intake and filter) and it was getting better MAF readings than the Carbonio too.. The reading peaked at 255 if that means anything to anybody..:wacko: Haven't got VAGCOM, so all over my head.. ;)

I'll try it next weekend.

I just have the carbon intake on at the moment not the panel filter and it feels like it breathes better... we'll see if it actually does

Were the figures lower all round with no gains with the Carbonio on the RR or just lower peak figures? Could it be the Carbonio just doesn't like RRs?

I've not seen very good results from the carbonio either, the EVOMs setup seems to be very good. We're currently talking to ITG so hopefully there'll be something available from them soon. One of the issues we've seen on some setups is the A/F ratios as the MAF housing is ovalised on the stock airbox when a circular intake gets put on (that's not been correctly tested for effect on fuelling) it can put the fuelling off. The ECU however does normally compensate for this though, you'll just see higher fuel offsets on datablock 032!

Sorry Paul, I hadn't responded to your post...

There is no default setting is the long and short of it. We recommend defaults depending on the fuel quality but we always try to get dealers to monitor the cars and set them up to suit. The Select switch performance default value can actually be changed by the dealers to suit your car!
Our recommendations would be Boost6, fuel9, timing 3-5(95ron) or 4-6(97/98ron)

Have a look at the Select Plus user guide for a little more indepth details of how a car should be setup... https://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SelectPlus_AdvancedUserGuide_V0707.pdf

Cheers iirc, I ran B7,F9,T6 on my MkV Golf 20T FSI and it was seriously quick.
Real giant killer once on the move and the B7 setting made it is really aggressive.

Paul