Dilemma...

mdre83

Reaction score
As you can probably see from my car history below I currently own a Vectra, I know I know stupid, but at the time it was very practical for what I needed it for.
I’m looking to get an A3 Sportback (Used) and have found one however, it’s a private seller and to sell my Vectra privately is going to be a nightmare to say the least.
As far as I can see, the only way for me to do this is to buy trade or to find someone who would take over the finance on the Vectra.
The problem is, the Sportback I’ve seen privately is exactly what I’m after and haven’t yet come across a one of similar spec through a dealer.

Misano Red, 170, BOSE, Full Leather, Heated seats etc etc….

Has anyone been in a similar situation, if so what did you do?

Is buying trade my only real option, as I can trade the Vectra in?

If anyone comes across a Misano Red sportback 140/170 please let me know :thumbsup:

Much appreciated

The problem you'll have is the massive first year depreciation on a Vectra - you'll lose at least 25% as soon as your name is on the log book.

There are a couple of options to explore I would suggest:
- Paying off the outstanding finance and then either selling privately or trading it in against another car.
- If you are leasing your car, ask the finance company to quote you an 'early termination charge' which would allow you to walk away from the deal - the only problem is that the cost could be punitive as the monthly repayments are unlikely to have exceeded the depreciation to date.

Hope you manage to get something sorted.

Cheers Cootie,

The car is not on a lease. I have spoke to one Audi dealer that was going to somehow keep my monthly payments to what I wanted and also soaking up any negative equity on the Vectra.

I think trade buy is the only option really isn't it :-(

Probably - dealers may have better avenues for selling on some of the popular 'fleet' cars than are available privately.

May be worth trying autotrader online and seeing if you get any bites on a private sale, even if you only try it for a week or two it should only cost around £30.......

And mate.... nothing stupid owning a Vectra good cars and lots of kit for money... Just depreciate a bit fast but good overall

Pedro

Yeah probably will mate, I've had it on ebay for the past two weeks. Had a couple of people interested and currently in talks with someone as we speak.

Probably - dealers may have better avenues for selling on some of the popular 'fleet' cars than are available privately.

May be worth trying autotrader online and seeing if you get any bites on a private sale, even if you only try it for a week or two it should only cost around £30.......

Or you could try pistonheads....its free to advertise iirc.

Went to my local Audi dealer after work today. They have a nice Dolphin Grey 2.0TDI Quattro SB in there, full leather up for £18,888.

Now for the s*** bit, they valued my current car (Vectra) at £9500-10,000. At present I still owe just under £13k for the car. I was advised that they couldn't even entertain the trade in as the negative equity couldn't be soaked up in the deal :confused:

I really want rid of the Vectra to get another A3, does anyone have any suggestions what I could do in this situation? :keule:
At present I would have to pay out myself, 2-3k to be able to sell my car :banghead:

well mate... I know it is not great option but sensible option is really to stick with the vectra...

Either way you will loose money... I know I am not helping... your Vectra and £15k and you can have my S3... lololol

Pedro

Private sale?

Auto Trader is cheap to advertise and will get u good exposure.

Good luck

well mate... I know it is not great option but sensible option is really to stick with the vectra...

Either way you will loose money... I know I am not helping... your Vectra and £15k and you can have my S3... lololol

Pedro

lol :jester: I'd love an S3, but cant even get an A3 at the mo. Running cost of the S3 would be to much for me too.

Take out a personal loan and then flatten the finance with the loan.

You will then own the car outright and can sell the Vectra private for considerably more than what you get trade in.
At which point you can buy private or push hard at a franchise or independant for a decent deal as you will have cash and no p/x.

The cost to change will be much less than the `trade in` route.

Good luck.

Paul

vectras are bad for depreciation - i once had a W reg GSI, bought it from a main dealer with remainder of warranty the day before its first birthday... it was mint, 13k on it, and was about £22k new - i picked it up for £13k retail!!!! - £9k lost in one year thats like over 40% in first year alone! - was an absolute bargain for me though, sold it 2 years later for £9.6k

Take out a personal loan and then flatten the finance with the loan.

You will then own the car outright and can sell the Vectra private for considerably more than what you get trade in.
At which point you can buy private or push hard at a franchise or independant for a decent deal as you will have cash and no p/x.

The cost to change will be much less than the `trade in` route.

Good luck.

Paul

The cash I would get off the private sale would have to pay off the personal loan though surely, as I'm going to end up paying for both the personal loan and the outstanding finance on the car I purchase... am I missing something :confused:

Your best bet is to wait for your neg equity to improve as you make more payments on your finance.

If you cant to that, and want to minimise your losses, then getting a loan and using that to clear the finance on the car will enable you to sell privately for more money. Once you have sold your car, you can use the money from that to clear off the loan. I still think you are £1-2k short though, even on a private sale.

Do you have GAP insurance and a "traveller" friend? :detective2:

Just to add my ten cents...

I think what you're pretty much saying yourself is that you're going to have to keep the Vectra til the depreciation levels out and you've paid off a bit more of the outstanding finance. Otherwise you're going to lose money no matter what you do.

I think you're just going to have to take this as a lesson in buying wisely and not making hasty decisions to swap cars too soon!!

It's not like you're stuck with a total shed is it. The Vectra is a decent car and you only have to look around this forum to know Audi's aren't perfect by any means! (for example my air con has currently died and the car's a year old).