Lamin-X as well as facelift taillights fitted to S3

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Hey guys, just an update. First off, thanks Marc for providing us with the part numbers for the taillights. You are indeed a star! They arrived yesterday and were fitted in roughly 15minutes by my Audi dealer. They look great! I also managed to purchase some lamin-x tint for my headlights and fogs and had them fitted yesterday as well. There is still plenty of moisture in them and the lack of sunlight will delay the moisture wearing out...

heres the pics

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

Reactions: Raiden and Spacecadet789
Im intruiged by "rabbit222" now since its also on your number plate. Do tell :)

Rabbit... Did you put the Quattro badge on the back?

Them wheels do look good! :thumbsup:

That looks really good from the front. All you are missing now is a set of black audi rings for the grille and the stealth look will be complete!

Have you got photos of the lights being tinted? Not going to do it myself cos it wouldn't suit my car, but I'm sure one or two of the Phantom chaps on here might be interested.

Looks good, Do like the new lights - I was determined not to like them but they are now next on the to do list.
Interested if you feel the lamin -x tint effects the light output in any way ?

Richard

yep lovin the look on the lights and would look good on mine. How'd ya do it and are there any side effects to the amount of light from the headlights ?

That looks really good from the front. All you are missing now is a set of black audi rings for the grille and the stealth look will be complete!

Have you got photos of the lights being tinted? Not going to do it myself cos it wouldn't suit my car, but I'm sure one or two of the Phantom chaps on here might be interested.

Thanks Marc. I love the audi rings as is, they stick out nicely now.

Mate, I saw a red sportback on Vortex with these smoked headlights and that look absolutely insane! It was because of that car that I decided to give it a try on mine....do it!

Reactions: katakidoushi
Looks good, Do like the new lights - I was determined not to like them but they are now next on the to do list.
Interested if you feel the lamin -x tint effects the light output in any way ?

Richard

They havn't affected it much infact the film used is the lightest available from Lamin-x. They are perfect at night with no loss of light output.

@ Marc, the kit comes with a complete DIY, I'll try and upload it on Monday and post it up...don't have a scanner at home unfortunately. The kit is precut to your headlight and fog so if you have all the tools required, its very simple to do.

Here is a link to their site, I bought it from their online store:

http://www.lamin-x.com/

The colour that you are after is called TINT.

Im intruiged by "rabbit222" now since its also on your number plate. Do tell :)

LOL!

Mk1 GTI = Rabbit

MK3 VR6 Top speed was 222, well here in SA anyway lol!

I was/am quite involved with the VW Club of SA and the nickname has stuck ever since using that as my forum nick....if that makes any sense at all:)

yep lovin the look on the lights and would look good on mine. How'd ya do it and are there any side effects to the amount of light from the headlights ?

Hey Steve,

http://www.lamin-x.com/

All your answers are right there, precut and ready to fit :) I will do my level best to upload the DIY that was provided with the kit.

Mate, I saw a red sportback on Vortex with these smoked headlights and that look absolutely insane! It was because of that car that I decided to give it a try on mine....do it!

Got a link?

EDIT - I need to learn to read all the posts before replying!

Hey Rabbit,

You don't have a link to teh sportback on Voetx by any chance do you?

Car looks spot on mate :thumbsup:

Definitely makes the front end more agressive - very nice motor indeed :icon_thumright:

Rabbit - you thought about Lamin-X for the rear lights too ? I see from their website they offer it .....

See there's a lamin-x.co.uk crowd too - but they seem to be trying to piggyback on the US brand name. They don't sell the pre-cut stuff, they tell you to measure up your lights and add 4 inches to each side and then cut it to fit yourself.

$50 is not that much at the end of the day. The US crowd are also supplying a spray bottle and a vinyl protectant - did you get these too? Can't seem to find a shipping charge on the site.

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that sportback you mentioned.

@ Rabbit - your car looks like sex... nice work... its a fine art taking something already good and making it better without spoiling something!

Good Job!

Let me know what you think mate... lighter/Darker?

Think that looks about right. Depending on the shipping costs I could be convinced. If the whole lot comes in at around 50 euro it would be a cheap enough mod.

Looking at the image now it I think that the tinted headlights are a nice match for the fog light surrounds.

Damn you rabbit!! I've just bought an FBMFSW and promised myself that that would be my last mod for a while. That promise doesn't look to have lasted too long!

EDIT: Just worked out that shipping is $8.95. By adding the bottle of spray and the vinyl sealant the total coms to $60.85 + shipping, so just under $70 which at today's exchange rate is €44 or £35. (This is for the full lighting kit which includes the headlight film and foglight film)

I see from the article that he has also fitted the lip spoiler from the Cupra R.

Anybody got a part number or price for this?

16_featured_image_1214962340.jpg

EDIT: Cupra R front splitter - 1ML 805 903 - £17.95

I'm quite likeing the look of the tints on Rabbits car and the red Sportback especially with the optics grill, but I think part of the look would be lost over here in the UK and Ireland because we have to have plates on the front.

Have you gone for Gunsmoke or Tint? Yours look a lot darker than the one on Vortex

Hey Marc,

Mines are Tint. I reckon because they are on a darker car, they look darker :) Your car is going to look super hot! I reckon you might as well bite the bullet and go for the optics grille too:yum:

I see from the article that he has also fitted the lip spoiler from the Cupra R.

Anybody got a part number or price for this?

16_featured_image_1214962340.jpg

EDIT: Cupra R front splitter - 1ML 805 903 - £17.95

Like the look of the splitter, I wonder how it would look on my akoya A3. At that price I may have to give it a go

Hey Marc,

Mines are Tint. I reckon because they are on a darker car, they look darker :) Your car is going to look super hot! I reckon you might as well bite the bullet and go for the optics grille too:yum:

For 45 euro I might risk it and see how it looks. Think I'll hold off on the optics grille for now though.

Hey guys, just an update. First off, thanks Marc for providing us with the part numbers for the taillights. You are indeed a star! They arrived yesterday and were fitted in roughly 15minutes by my Audi dealer. They look great! I also managed to purchase some lamin-x tint for my headlights and fogs and had them fitted yesterday as well. There is still plenty of moisture in them and the lack of sunlight will delay the moisture wearing out...

heres the pics

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

OMG the light is crazy hot. :hubbahubba:

Can you please let me know where you got it from? How much is it?? and whats the part number for it?

thanks alot

OMG the light is crazy hot. :hubbahubba:

Can you please let me know where you got it from? How much is it?? and whats the part number for it?

thanks alot

The part numbers are listed in this post (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=555802&postcount=4) and they should be available to order from your local Audi dealer. They are £65 ex-VAT in the UK or €81 ex VAT in Ireland.

Not sure what you'd get charged in Australia, but you would be better off sourcing them from your dealer rather than get them shipped from here. There should be no reason that your dealer cannot source them if you give him the part numbers. They are just a straight swap for the existing 3dr lights.

You didn't say what colour your car is, so here are some more photos on different coloured cars:

Doublemint1984's white S3: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=562453&postcount=52

Some other guy's blue S3: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=559938&postcount=44

You sent me a PM about the front LEDs too - we're still waiting to see if they are the same shape as the existing front lights. From what we've been able to work out there is a new shape front bumper and the part numbers for the bonnet and surrounding parts have all changed too - not sure if they are just superseded parts or if they are all new ones.

Thanks alot for the imformation, it really helps!!

Thanks alot for the imformation, it really helps!!

Hey dude, I managed to purchase mine through our local VW/Audi Parts dept. It took literally 7 days for it to arrive from Germany. It would not have been possible if it were not for Marc posting up those part numbers.

Cheers again Marc...

Anyone be able to post a pic of a white S3 with the tints on the headlights, i've got the optics grill and think it may look sweet! Also got black mirror housings fitted now!

Might do the rear as well!