AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Sidelight Bulb Change LED Style

Hi All,

My life just tried to change the sidelight bulbs on my A3, Firstly how hard is it to actually get the bulb holder out of the light fitment it in such a hard place to reach, I ripped my fingers and hands to bits took about 15 mins.

After all that messing i had bought some LED Xenon white HID T11 501 W5W Sidelight bulbs from ebay but they dont fit the bulb holder, they seem to be to thick at the base were it plugs into the holder. Spoke to the seller but he no real help... Anybody else tried these or any advice for me please ???

Cheers
    Clive
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    got a reply now off the seller so ill give it try later on heres what he said....!

"Sorry to hear that but this is the w5w standard bulb. This LED bulb is made with plastic that why it has to be thicker than the glass one to make it steady in the holder. Therefore, you would need to give it a little push in the holder. Or may be if the depth of your vehicle holder is too short, you would need to cut the little plastic tip at the bottom of the bulb base. Please let me know. "
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

mike

Status
    Before you cut anything... I didn't think the normal LED's work in these cars as it pops up that the bulb has blown.

It does in my S3 and cuts the power to the light.

You need a resistor to get them to work, or you can buy the PIAA ones but they are like 80

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maxS3uk View Post
    Before you cut anything... I didn't think the normal LED's work in these cars as it pops up that the bulb has blown.

It does in my S3 and cuts the power to the light.

You need a resistor to get them to work, or you can buy the PIAA ones but they are like 80
    Oh i see, Cheers for that mate looks like there going back on ebay for sale then

Can anybody else conf that also that LED bulbs dont work in A3's with out the resistor kit....?

thanks

mike

Status
    You can buy the resistor kits, but that means you have to cut and fit them into the cars original wires. Or PIAA do the special kits which requires no cutting but they are pricey.

If you do a search on here they are doing a group buy on some normal wedge bulbs that shine more white, maybe thats the best bet.

I'm sure most VAG cars have the warning pop up when fitting LED's... might be wrong though

3rd Gear

Status
    Yup - spot on maxS3uk - you will need resistors before the LED's will work - otherwise you'll get a blown bulb message on the DIS.

The group buy will happen on the PIAA chrome white mirror bulbs - just waiting for them to arrive from Japan - the thread is here
    Jon

Now A3 less......

Neutral

Status
    led bulbs didnt work in mine, like they said above you need a resistor, easier buying, ultra blue, or super white bulbs, both emit a very white light and look like led quality, its what i done, they can also be found on ebay, cheers