tints on A3 cab

matmaxedout

Reaction score
hi guys,

thinking about having the windows tinted, what do people think??

would it look right on a cabriolet?? only thinking of a light tint.

can anyone photoshop a very light grade tint onto this picture please?

827eb3b1.jpg

10629206.jpg

The only problem you might have with the cabriolet is that whenever you want to put the roof down you need to lower all the windows. The repeated up\down movement may result in scratching of the film over time, especially if any dirt gets stuck between the glass and the rubber seal.

Having said that, I think it would look well as long as the tint was only light. Since your car is black you don't want it to end up lookin like a van or a hearse.

thats exactly what I was gonna say. I hated having to lower my windows once they'd been tinted. The fine particles in the air can easily run a perfect straight line down your film... including the supposed 'no scratch' films.

Bought my S3 used and came with factory rear tints.
Im not a huge fan so a bit biased but Im used to them.
Dont see the practical benefit neither as we dont get a great deal of sun up here!
Tints ok, soft top great. But not together IMO.

I would leave it as it is, tints + soft top is a little bit pimp I reckon. The A3 Cab is still a rare beast and will turn heads anyway.

Remap and suspension first!

Cheers
Paul

thats exactly what I was gonna say. I hated having to lower my windows once they'd been tinted. The fine particles in the air can easily run a perfect straight line down your film... including the supposed 'no scratch' films.
I've had my windows tinted for two months now and haven't lowered them since I got them done.

Having said that I would very seldom have opened the windows before I got them tinted - only ever at a toll booth or car park barrier, and even then only if it is dry. Usually if it is wet I would open the door and stretch around it or over the top to hand over the cash. I might look a plonker but at least the windows stay clean. I don't go in for the whole driving round town at 10mph with the windows open and some ridiculous drum n' bass ***** blaring out to windows to hide the ****** engine sound and try to disguise the fact that my stereo cost more than my micra\corsa\etc - I'd much rather leave the windows up, let the aircon cool me down and hear what Terry Wogan has to say.

I have a couple of friends and whenever they get in the car, the first thing they do is lower the passenger window because they want some cool air - I have climate control so they don't need to do this. I'm considering disconnecting the power to the passenger door to stop them doing this - that, or else use VAGCOM to uncheck the "electric windows" option so that they'll never open.

There you go mate... thats how it would look anyway :icon_thumright:

A3CAB1.jpg

A3CAB2.jpg
That looks rather nice I must say. I wonder if they'll do the factory tint on the Cabrio - that would eliminate the risk of scratching the film. Obviously not it this case, but for anyone else considering a new cabrio it would be the way to go.

A set of smoked alloys and the optics grille would finish that off nicely, wouldn't it?

mdre you have mad photoshop skills.

yeah, I was thinking that too! ;)

Marc, I think we've had this convo before. You asked about stopping the passenger window going down and I asked why? ;)

Doesnt matter tho does it. It only needs to be wound down 2 inches, once for you to get that highly annoying scratch.

If I was to ever do tints Id get them done at factory so it wasnt film.

Yeah I was checking if I could just disable the passenger one with VAGCOM. I'd disable both in VAGCOM except for the fact that I'd hate to be stuck upside down in a canal unable to open the windows because I've disabled them. I might just disconnect the passenger power to sort it.

If you have the windows tinted on an S3 do they have to remove the dor panels to install?

Slammed, De-badged (s-line side badge) & Wheels colour change...

Not so sure on the wheels though, I prefer the original alloy...

A3CAB2-2.jpg

cheers guys for the work and comments, i'm not sure about it now, might just leave it how it is. like you say if they scratch easy.

I've just noticed that they have now added the optics pack to the cabriolet!!!!!!!!!!