Aargh!! Why didn't he look before he pulled out!

Cootie

Reaction score
Well, courtesy of someone not looking properly before he turned right across the traffic I've now got a shattered front grille, along with a buckled bonnet and front drivers side wing. :mad:

The guy in his 98 Ford Focus pulled out from a car park to turn right, but his view was completely obstructed by a coach which meant he couldn't see me coming up the outside lane. Slammed the brakes on but there wasn't enough space to brake and I hit his front drivers side wing at about 15mph. Buckled his front wheel so his car is immobilised, but guess he won't be too concerned given it's a 10 year old car and not in the best of nick. I'm majorly p*ssed off though!

Will be interesting to see what the insurance company make of it, but thankfully it's a company car so not an issue in terms of cost of repair, excess etc.

Whilst I am not a lawyer, I understand that you have right of way over anyone not on the highway. Since this guy was pulling out of a car park the default position should be that he was at fault, and so his insurance should pay out. Did you get the names of any witnesses? That should seal the deal.

Good luck,
Dan

I know exactly how you feel mate. I had someone slam into the back of me in my old A3 whilst stationary at some traffic lights. He had an old Renault 19 so the front end of the car crumbled however, the bracket on the inside of my rear bumber came through resulting in having to have a new one fitted.

The fact the guy couldn't see past the coach and still pulled out he shouldn't stand a chance other than be in the wrong. Did the coach driver also see what happened?

It's the inconvenience of having to call the insurance company etc that p***** you off too and the length of time it takes to complete.

Coach driver b*ggered off as soon as the cars were out of the way, and no pedestrian witnesses hung around either - nice to know everyone is so thoughtful and considerate these days.....

It's the inconvenience of having to call the insurance company etc that p***** you off too and the length of time it takes to complete.

Plus the fact I feel self conscious driving around in a car that looks like I drove into the back of someone.

Also bet I get a 1 litre supermini to drive around in whilst mine is getting fixed.....

Thats very true mate, I got a 1ltr Polo!

Plus the fact I feel self conscious driving around in a car that looks like I drove into the back of someone.

Also bet I get a 1 litre supermini to drive around in whilst mine is getting fixed.....

Well presumably you should specify an Audi dealer for the repair, in which case you should get something decent as a courtesy car

Well presumably you should specify an Audi dealer for the repair, in which case you should get something decent as a courtesy car

Some dealers use an Audi approved VW bodyshop so the worst you should get is a VW.

Fingers crossed, but given it's a company car they have the ultimate decision as to who they use to repair it.

I know it's horrible when something like that happens to you, especially when there was nothing you could do about it, but just because he was driving a 10 year old car, it doesn't mean that he isn't equally ****** off. Even if he's only hot himself to blame.

Yes, I know, but I just suspect that he might have been a little more carefree in his driving style as a result. Guessing for him it might be a write-off as his front wheel/suspension buckled from the sidewards impact.

A woman pulled out of a side street right into my wing in similar circumstances. No contest. Her insurers paid out.

i have similar damage to my car at present (admitedly my fault, lapse of concentration one stressful morning) my front bumper mashed in and bonnet slightly kinked, front panel bent in, but wings fine, although still to be painted to blend in paint.

You can choose to take it to any garage yo like however, you lose the courtesy car benefit unless its insurance approved (i insisted audi approved for mine) - personally i find this behaviour wrong as you should get a car whereever you take yours to be repaired, don't think insurers should be allowed to do this its not exactly fair. Anyway luckily the garage where my car went lent me a car anyway 1.2 polo but i have had to fork out top up insurance for it for the last 4+ weeks, expecting car back any day now though

Well, just got off the phone with the insurers and they've using a JM Group accident repair place. I get a courtesy car from them, or they are investigating a car rental courtesy of his insurers.

Have to drop the car in for an estimate tomorrow morning and I'll try and get an indication of how long it might take.

It's your car, you can have it fixed where you want. I think you can also claim 10% of the car value as it has now been in a accident. There was a similar thread to this a few weeks ago.

It's your car, you can have it fixed where you want. I think you can also claim 10% of the car value as it has now been in a accident. There was a similar thread to this a few weeks ago.

Thanks, but as it's a company car I can leave that for them to worry about.

Have to say that this whole episode reinforces my belief that a company car is the way forward as there is so much less hassle involved!

Well mate as sorry and ****** as you might be it is life... We just have to accept we don't drive or live in this world alone...

And everyone is entitletd to make mistakes... I am not defending the Ford bloke at all! But just as an example I was in Bluewater last week and was trying to find the car park exit driving carefully and I didn't see a vehicle coming from my left (God knows where he came from!!!) and he didn't crash on me by pure luck... It would have been my fault in this case... So I don't condemn people... it is not nice especially as things cost to pay but it is life... Just try to make the best of it not the worst...

Pedro

Well I've had three courtesy cars in the past 2 years and I've had:

Land Rover Discovery HSE - brand new (2 weeks)
Lexus IS250 - picked it up with 12 miles on the clock! (3 weeks)
Touareg 3.0 Altitude - still in it (4 weeks and counting).

All through Admiral following non-fault claims. It goes through 'Albany Assistance', i say i drive a prestige car and am an IT manager so need a like for like replacement. This time because I have quattro I said I drive a 4x4 car so I need an equivalent and got the Touareg.

I would never accept a 1.0 Polo!

M