F**king Wingmirror thieves

mcbigp

Reaction score
So it was my little sister graduation yesterday, she lives up in manchester city with my other sister whos also at uni here, they have a nice flat in an alright area.
Before driving up here in the s3 i confirmed that i would be able to use the private 'secure' underground carpark for it, that confirmed i thought ok for 2 nights (a sunday and a monday) it should be ok.
How wrong i was, this morning i went to give my sister a lift to the airport i looked in the mirror,first i thought someone had knocked the mirror back but then i realised, someone had tried to have the chrome caps off, on both sides.
They didnt get them but have really f**ked them up with the srewdriver trying to prise them off, one clicked back in so is just left with the screwdriver marks on the base (black plastic), the other one is quite a bit worse and has bad marks on both (black plastic & chrome cap) but it wont even click back in.
Im sure there must be some of you out there who have had the same mis-fortune, any info on replacing repairing them would be gratefully recieved. If not, any videos of car thieves/chavs getting injured/beaten up, would help ease the pain!:mad:

I feel your pain mate!!

Not just a couple of months ago i parked up in upper class East Belfast for a couple of hours only to return and my s3 had been stripped of it's wing mirrors and s3 badges - b@stards took them all!!!

I had to go to audi and get them replaced - the badges are cheap ehough but unfortunately the same cant be said for the wing mirrors!! I believe they were £375 for the casings alone!!!

Scummy b@stards!!! :mad:

Good luck with getting it sorted!!!!

That is so cr@p. I ahte hearing stuff like this.
Audi really should try and rig the bl@@dy mirrors up to the alarm system on the S/RS cars. The chrome mirror is something that seperate the cars and I guess is therefore a target. With the cost to replace i'd like to think they we're better protected.
An iPOD is less than the cost to replace the mirror caps and I wouldn't leave that out unprotected!
Feel your pain mate - hope you get it all sorted with minimal pain (and expense!)

It knocks me sick!

Audi should make the chrome caps only fit on that car IE the S3 caps only fit on a S3 , the S4 caps only fit on a S4 , ect , ect.

That way it would stop a lot of chavs trying to bling up there A3's.

It can't be that much more cost to Audi to make them slightly smaller than Std.

p

Know how you feel. Over the last few years, I've had a car stolen off my drive, wheel caps nicked (minor, I know), attempted break-in to my house (to steal the car, according to the police), and I supposedly live in a nice area :crying:

The first thing i did when i got my car was go out and buy 2 new Phantom wingmirror caps ( touch wood ) ive not had to use them.

Yours got pinched on the street ( still gutting ) if they pinched them from outside your house you'd never be able to put chrome caps on again as the ******** will be back to nic them again.

p

The first thing i did when i got my car was go out and buy 2 new Phantom wingmirror caps ( touch wood ) ive not had to use them.

Yours got pinched on the street ( still gutting ) if they pinched them from outside your house you'd never be able to put chrome caps on again as the ******** will be back to nic them again.

p

Your dead right mate!! My car is never left on the street overnight ever!!! I live in a small group of apartments and have secure underground carparking and that's where it goes every night without fail!!!

I feel your pain. Thieving b@st@rd$ they all went stringing up. That's part of the reason I went for a silver car so they didn't stand out.

I wish these chorme mirror caps that were stolen can be magically shoved sideways up the ***** of the theives...that thought always makes me feel just a bit less angry...

I have seen some caps go on ebay for around £150 ish.

I worry about mine when i go places, no place is safe to park your own car nowadays.

Pure Vermin.
They should be chopped up with a rusty shovel and dumped in a wheelie bin full of dogshit.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Paul

Gutted for you mate. Hate these scummers. I'm so glad my car is parked on a secure camp with an armed guard and I park it outside my window at the mess.

I wonder how stealable the covers on the facelift S3 will be as they have integrated indicators. And how desirable they will be also.

Any of you security marking your mirrors yet?
It's a vicious circle.
If they know they're untraceable, they'll nick them.
If they start getting word that they're security marked, they might stop nicking them.

I wonder how stealable the covers on the facelift S3 will be as they have integrated indicators. And how desirable they will be also.

They're not integrated indicators - they are just a cap with the indicator being the same as the one on the mkv golf. They're just as easy to whip off.

Here's how: http://diy.oempl.us/article_info.php?articles_id=15

Since they're the same as the mkv golf mirror caps you'll be able to add the R-Line textured black caps. Only $65 for a set from oempl.us

Mk5_B6_Mirror_Caps_Textured.jpg

These have got to be stolen. This guy has sold loads and loads and loads of them....

They're not integrated indicators - they are just a cap with the indicator being the same as the one on the mkv golf. They're just as easy to whip off.

Here's how: http://diy.oempl.us/article_info.php?articles_id=15

Since they're the same as the mkv golf mirror caps you'll be able to add the R-Line textured black caps. Only $65 for a set from oempl.us

I'm glad you mentioned that cause I was looking at the new S3 mirrors to see if they had a slot in them or just at the bottom of the covers, I saw some on fleabay yesterday, do you think the A5/A4 ones are identical to the new S3 Marc? They have a nifty lane change option on the mirrors now, have you seen this in ETKA?

On one hand the seller is saying they're genuine and they're £300.00+VAT from Audi.
On the other hand he's able to sell them for £130.00 and still make money.
Sheeeesh....
You've got to question the people buying these, they're just encouraging the practice.

I'm glad you mentioned that cause I was looking at the new S3 mirrors to see if they had a slot in them or just at the bottom of the covers, I saw some on fleabay yesterday, do you think the A5/A4 ones are identical to the new S3 Marc? They have a nifty lane change option on the mirrors now, have you seen this in ETKA?

Same part as the S5 (not on A4 listing as no S4 on the market yet).

The part numbers for S3 are
8T0 857 527 A 3Q7 (left aluminium 07/08)
8T0 857 528 A 3Q7 (right aluminium 07/08)

The S5 ones are:
8T0 857 527 A 3Q7 (left aluminium 06/07)
8T0 857 528 A 3Q7 (right aluminium 06/07)

Although strangely for the A5 it also lists
8T0 857 527 C 3Q7 (left aluminium 10/07)
8T0 857 528 C 3Q7 (left aluminium 10/07)

Looks as if the part number has changed between 06/07 and 10/07.

The lane change assist is listed on the A5 including the controllers, camera and warning display.

Not sure how easy a retrofit this would be for the A3.

Yeah I was seeing a descrepancy aswell mate, now gonna go find the mirrors again, lol, urrm new mod, wonder how that works, any ideas on the system how works?

i assume the camera monitors the road ahead and then some technical wizardry happens in the controller and it outputs the warning to the display on the wing mirror.

Not sure if you'll need a new mirror arm and mount for the new mirrors. I'll have to check ETKA later and compare the part numbers. Could turn out to be quite expensive. The indicator inserts alone are about 15 quid a piece.

the new stems, mounts are different part numbers just checked & from the shape of mirrors & knowing the existing ones well, I would expect them to be different anyway, shame, lol.

It knocks me sick!

Audi should make the chrome caps only fit on that car IE the S3 caps only fit on a S3 , the S4 caps only fit on a S4 , ect , ect.

p

This is to true mate, although they obviously made them the same so they could make the money selling them to a3 owners trying to 's' there cars.

I think the wording here is a bit harsh for us A3 owners who have bought these mirrors properly.

I have a S-line sportback 170 i bought these mirrors because i think the Sline (for me) is a bit too understated. I just want it to stand out from a normal A3.

It knocks me sick!

p

Ah so me & Marc are Chav's are we Phantom?

didn't realise they weren't billeted aluminium any more. I take it they are both the same size now, IIRC the 8L's were two different sizes so left hand drive mirrors were no use in the UK