Should I sell?

Young un

Reaction score
I know its another topic going off tangent for this forum but I wanted your opinons before I make a rash decision!!

Considering selling my S3 and get 335i M sport. I originally wanted to get the BM but opted for the S3.

Anyway, I was at Trafford Centre (North West) with my cousin at the weekend having a nosy around the BMW F1 pit lane show. (BTW it was well worth it and FREE!!)
My cousins a sly one and turned up in a new 335i M sport!!! I couldnt believe it and after having a go in it...I WANT ONE!!

I've had a quick browse on pistonheads and Audi used website to get an idea of the current selling price. I get the impression 24.5k is optimistic!!

May 08 plate 2400 miles
Phantom black
FBMFSW
DVD sat nav
Bose
Bluetooth phone prep (armrest)
Cruise
Parking sensors
Adaptive lights
Flat tyre indicator
Front centre Armrest
Interior light pack
Light and rain sensor pack
Electric folding mirrors
Electric lumbar support
Privacy glass
Hill hold function

Any thoughts?
Or should I stay with S3?:uhm:

Or should I stay with S3?

Sill question on an Audi forum..... :nyah:

I looked at the 335i before I ordered the S3 and althought the BM was more powerful and a bit more fun to drive I would have always wanted the real M experience. It's Nothing special inside, the MPG was about the same but it does sound lovely!
I've always liked the haldex system and I think I would eventually push the BM beyond it's limits at some point (and regret it) So I opted for the safer option for me.
Good luck with the sale if you decide to go for it!

What was it that you particularly liked about the 335? The reason I ask is could a few tweaks (remap etc) tip the balance in the S3's favour and save you the expense of changing your car.

Have to say I tried a 335 before I went for the S3, and thought there was nothing in it performance wise, although the engine on the 335 is a cracker.

For me I felt the S3 was a bit more agile, and combined with the 4wd that tipped the balance in its favour, with the cost saving as a nice aside.

The 335 is a very nice car and I would happily have one, although a couple of people I know have had a few heart in mouth moments in them when the roads have been damp....

Sorry to hi-jack the thread a little - the BMW Sauber F1 Pitlane at Trafford was awesome! And did you go to the Pit Shop and see the twins who were working there...Damn!

I wouldn't sell and lose 10k ( cost to change ) for 2 month of S3 ownership.

Mind due if you have money to burn my friend it's up to you.

I'd go for the 135i with performace parts and M packs instead. ( if i had the spare money )

p

yeah, Id look at the 335i purely as its a bigger car.. I love my S3 but kinda miss the BMW drive. Really comparatively tho as phantom said.. the 135i could price better?

Shame about the looks of the 1 series.
I bet the 135 is a riot to drive.

Reckon a lot of skill and restraint will be required though with all that power through the rear wheels.

Huge tuning potential too.

Shame about the looks of the 1 series.
I bet the 135 is a riot to drive.

Reckon a lot of skill and restraint will be required though with all that power through the rear wheels.

Huge tuning potential too.

Word round the camp fire is 385bhp and 400lbft with remap exhaust and intake. :ninja:

If i had the money ( and more for the performace parts , CSL wheels ) i would " really " look at them.

p

The 335 is a very nice car and I would happily have one, although a couple of people I know have had a few heart in mouth moments in them when the roads have been damp....

I think you guys are forgetting that these dangerours RWD BM's do come with traction control which is pretty good...

Leave it on for nice and safe driving, turn it off stage one for a bit of rear slip, turn it off fully for the true Tokyo drift experience!

Regarding missing the whole M experience of getting the 335i and not the full blooded M3. My thoughts are the M's not that nicer inside, a simple remap will give you a serious boost in power. You'll be paying less for road tax and you'll get less of the beans shaking.

3 guesses what I am looking at getting next...

J.

I think you guys are forgetting that these dangerours RWD BM's do come with traction control which is pretty good...

Totally agree that the TC does a good job in the dry, but one of the guys managed to 360 his when the road was only slightly wet. He maintains he wasn't being reckless, and that by the time the TC kicked in (it was switched fully on) it was too late. Both guys have also commented that with all the torque they'll be spinning their rear wheels in 4th gear at the slightest sign of water on the road. One of them had a 330 beforehand and commented it wasn't nearly as much of an issue with that.

I agree it is easy to drive around any traction limitations once you are aware of them, but it does limit overall useability in a way that you don't get with 4wd.

Again, not knocking the 335 as I really rate them. Now if they'd only make a 4wd one :laugh:

yeah, Id look at the 335i purely as its a bigger car.. I love my S3 but kinda miss the BMW drive. Really comparatively tho as phantom said.. the 135i could price better?

I see what you mean with the price similarity but im just not "digging" the 135.
Although the 3 series has the stigma of "rep mobile" I find the 335 coupe has a kinda stealth look without going full blown M3 status (not to mention future running costs with fuel, tax etc...)

I know I'd be taking a hit by selling the S3 and Im prepared for to do it.
How much do you guys think it'll be worth? A lot of the used ones I've seen are around 24.5k but Im hoping for more than that. Its only 2months old and has a better spec than most of the ones I've seen. It was 34k brand new!! So im hoping for 28k. Realistic or am i dreaming?

Dont get me wrong. I dont dislike the S3. Its got more than enough oomph and pracitcality when I need it. Im still chewing over the idea for a remap but after seeing the prosport RR results...I'll think twice!!

I reckon 10k should be sufficient for me to change to the BM but having slept on the idea for a few days, I cant find any reason for actually changing apart from - for the sake of changing!! Which is kinda pointless and I know my dad will be on my case for wasting my dosh!!

I know I'll be losing quattro if I get the BM but I dont mind having rear wheel experience. Might even be a nice change. (only ever had FWD or quattro)

Decisions, decisions!!! Life is never easy:whistle2:

Theres an 08 sprint blue in my local dealers on at £24,999 so I wouldnt expect more than that really....

At the end of the day though, you just gotta do what you gotta do. If you always wished youd got the 335 then it'll bug the hell outta you. If your prepared to stomach the lost cash... get the BM. 335 not really a reps mobile... they all drive the saloons mostly. ;)

Sorry mate but you must have more money than sense.... Changing a new car, probably only a few months old just because you drove the other one... But it is your monies off course!

I got the S3 and 335i is not an option for me as I don't really like the shape... like it a bit better in M3 form but not enough to change my current car.

It is your decision to follow this week trend and get an 335i or to sleep on it... and stick with your lovely S3 and then later get another one...

Your call really... we cannot really advise you how to spend your money.

My money... I would keep the S3 for a while, after alll it is not even runned in properly!!

Pedro

Theres an 08 sprint blue in my local dealers on at £24,999 so I wouldnt expect more than that really....

I phoned 2 of my relatively local dealers and asked them how much for S3 with my spec. Spoke to chief sales rep at both dealers and they were more than happy to give me a provisional estimate over the phone. Around 28-28.5k. Cos they'll prob sell it on for 31k (same price that I actually paid)

I didnt go back to dealers where I purchased S3 from cos they know what price I eventually paid (not asking price of 34k)

Anyway, food for thought, especially if they do actually offer me 28.5k

Sorry mate but you must have more money than sense.... Changing a new car, probably only a few months old just because you drove the other one... But it is your monies off course!

LOL. Yeah my whole family are trying to knock some sense into me!! In a sensible world, changing cars shouldnt even be considered.
Money is just money. I earn then I spend. Im young, earning a fair whack in my profession and no family commitments. I dont even pay bills or mortgage cos Im still at home with parents!!

Thanks v much fou all your input. Gratefully received and helped my decision making.

Decided not to change for most of the obvious reasons. But on a personal note...I didnt want an ear bashing off my dad!!:blush: Couldnt face the aggro with it all.

Cheers guys and long live the S3 ( I hope)

I didnt go back to dealers where I purchased S3 from cos they know what price I eventually paid (not asking price of 34k)

Wont any dealer know anyway as are the computers not linked?

If not and you took finance out that computer is certainly linked (if Audi finance).

Wont any dealer know anyway as are the computers not linked?

If not and you took finance out that computer is certainly linked (if Audi finance).

Ohh, didnt know they were linked. Nah, I didnt bother with finance. Just paid it off in one go.

I think they are, but it may just be the dealers here in the North East (Teeside,Wearside, Newcastle and Tyneside) are all owned by the same franchise.

One dealer even knew i'd been at another looking at a RS4!!