Delivery lead time for new A3? 4.5 months?!

sebtomato

Reaction score
Hi,

I just placed an order for my new car last week (Audi A3 TDI 140bhp S-tronic Sport), and I have been quoted 4.5 months for delivery (expected mid-November).

I would be interested to know if other people have placed an order recently (since face lift), and what delivery time they were given.

The dealer has told me that "there is an issue with the Audi A3 2.0 L engines at present", affecting all customers. I knew the TDi 170bhp would be delayed, since not available for order yet, but I didn't know the 140bhp would also be affected.

Thanks,
Seb

It's the 170ps version that does not start production until September. The 140 is already in production in the form used in the new A4 but there may still be some delay with the change to transverse mounting. Both version are different to the previous version and both are now a common-rail design.

Ordered Feb 18th, revised order on 28th April to facelift model and been told 4 months for delivery. Dealer is pushing a mid August delivery date but the car still hasnt been issued a build week by the factory 2 weeks ago.

I ordered my S3 end of May, build week is a confirmed week 32 (4 weeks today!) for pick up Sep 1st.

Suppose its not the diesel engine though which is causing the delays.

I heard it was the S Tronic that was causing the hold up though as it does not start is production run until late September giving the first run on the lines to the manual versions.

Ive been told by the dealer its the way Audi handled this facelift situation which is to blame, the facelift was announced out of the blue causing a massive amount of people who had orders to change to facelift model putting a high amount of backorders for the new A3 and the factory just cant keep up with the demands atm.

I placed an order for an S3 a week before Audi announced the faceleift. When I checked, my car had already been placed as a face lift model without me knowing, build time was quoted as 14 weeks, with an estimated delivery date of "early August". Will probably get them to hold till 1st september, but just shows that 18 weeks heading up for the new registration and a facelift car is probably not a big surprise....

I can't think of any car, short of an Aston Martin, I'd wait 4.5 months for.
Then again, I'm a bit more determined than merely accepting one dealer's word.

I can't think of any car, short of an Aston Martin, I'd wait 4.5 months for.
Then again, I'm a bit more determined than merely accepting one dealer's word.

How long did you have to wait for you Alpina. It seem like ages.

Anybody else who has ordered a car recently (face lift) and could share expected delivery time?

Its def because of your s tronic as they are not starting production until around sep/oct.

Once production starts on the new facelifts (a few weeks time) I'm sure you will get a build date, if not hassle the dealer!

Interestingly I have an '09 A3 TDI 170 on order which has been delayed because of the facelift. I was in the dealer on saturday finalising my part ex price for my existing car and now have a confirmed build date of w/c 21/07/08 (next week) for my new car. This surprised me since on Audi's intranet it said they were not starting to build the 170 PS TDI until September but the Sales Manager was clear that they have brought forward the build from September and this also affected the TT TDI as well!

I may well have my new car for the first of September rather then having to wait till October

You should do if your build week is what you say as it is normally 3 weeks from the build date to it appearing in the dealer.

I have a confirmed build week of 32 (4/8/08) and they (dealer) have stated it will be on the road for 1st Sep for me to pick up.

yes thats exactly what the dealer said - my car would be ready mid/late August though I will wait till the first of September so that I get the '58 plate - I will have waited 5 and a half months in total

Snap!

I'll be waiting for the 58 plate too and it will have been just under a 4 month wait for me from the day of order.

I visited a dealer on Saturday and was told that if I ordered the 170TDI, delivery would be October as it had been put back. 3 or 4 months lead time was the estimate.