Turbo back Vs Cat back?

c8hau

Reaction score
As the title says, been looking at Miltek cat back and turbo back but is the turbo back really worth over double the price?

Think my plan is carbonio CAI, Forge Intercooler, the exhaust above then an updated map.

As the title says, been looking at Miltek cat back and turbo back but is the turbo back really worth over double the price?

Think my plan is carbonio CAI, Forge Intercooler, the exhaust above then an updated map.

I think Spin140 has a Carbonio in very good nic for sale , send him a PM.

If not i wouldn't spend £150 on a Corbonio , i'd rather spend £250 on a Evoms or Dilbas.

The S3 has already got a larger core intercooler than the Cupra/Ed30 , unless your planning big turbo upgrade the OEM itam will be ample.

EDIT just noticed you have a 2.0T not a S3 , you can still save money by adding the S3 intercooler £300 as the Forge is circa £800, the Cupra/Ed30 lads are upgrading to the S3 cooler.

p

Try Regal Autosport http://www.regal-auto.co.uk for both (EvoMs & Dilbas)

I think there is a couple of people who want the EvoMs intake as its bit better, they should have them in stock soon as its a new product... Dont know if anyone is interested in getting a group buy on these?

The S3 upgrade could be good, if anyone is upgrading let me know.

Carbonio looks out of the window then! EvoMS looks a good option!

The turbo back really makes a difference. It just pulls much more and revs faster. Well worth your money IMO...

I have an Oettinger intake and I like the retention of the stock low end but a freeer revving highend. I think that the Carbonio is a similar design (from the pics could be Oettinger OEM!!) and I would perfer this over a intake designs like the BMC where you replace the entire intake for more highend but softer low end.

Hope this helps.

The turbo back really makes a difference. It just pulls much more and revs faster. Well worth your money IMO...

I have an Oettinger intake and I like the retention of the stock low end but a freeer revving highend. I think that the Carbonio is a similar design (from the pics could be Oettinger OEM!!) and I would perfer this over a intake designs like the BMC where you replace the entire intake for more highend but softer low end.

Hope this helps.

You seem to have a similar spec to what i am after, what power figures are you runing with all that?

Get the catback if you just want a better sound than stock and marginal performance gain, turboback if you want a good performance gain and an even nicer, deeper sound. I got the turboback fitted on Friday and the way it pulls now is insane.

You seem to have a similar spec to what i am after, what power figures are you runing with all that?

I have not put it on the rolling road so I really have no idea what exactly the power rating is. Its just damn fast!

What I like about the setup is that the whole car still retains the stock feeling that came from the factory. Its just raised to a higher level. There is no rumbling exhaust note, poor low end, or rattles and shakes you get from "MAX Power"ing the car.

I plan to swap my Turbo for a K04 and a Stage III Revo remap. I will get my baby on the rolling road then. :rock:

Excuse my ignorance but what are the actual phsical differences between the cat back and turbo. I priced up a cat back non resonated at the wekend £370 ..... any good?

I am also thinking about a Milltek turbo back, does anyone know what the gains are over the standard system - I am running an Oettinger map - there is no reference to gains on the Milltek website

Many thanks

Excuse my ignorance but what are the actual phsical differences between the cat back and turbo. I priced up a cat back non resonated at the wekend £370 ..... any good?

Cat Back... Is the exhaust from the OEM Cat

Turbo Back... this will include a Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat, and then the rest

Cat Back... Is the exhaust from the OEM Cat

Turbo Back... this will include a Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat, and then the rest

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably go with just the cat back, am i right to say the non resonated looses the OE silencer after the cat?

I am also thinking about a Milltek turbo back, does anyone know what the gains are over the standard system - I am running an Oettinger map - there is no reference to gains on the Milltek website

Many thanks

a conservative 330+bhp and 340-360lbft if you have your map tweaked to make the most of it. It gives a serious performance gain, the difference over just a remap was far more than i was expecting. I Actually had my map tweaked tonight after having the turboback fitted on Friday and I'm still grinning from the drive home... it was insane how quick it was.

Thanks VAGCheck for the superb service and making my car a total animal, I'm so looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow :)

a conservative 330+bhp and 340-360lbft if you have your map tweaked to make the most of it. It gives a serious performance gain, the difference over just a remap was far more than i was expecting. I Actually had my map tweaked tonight after having the turboback fitted on Friday and I'm still grinning from the drive home... it was insane how quick it was.

Thanks VAGCheck for the superb service and making my car a total animal, I'm so looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow :)

Wow, looks like it a goer then. The map I have is the most aggressive Oetitinger map anyway, without doing anything with the fuel pump. watch this space..........

Over 'just the map' how much better/different does it drive???

Wow, looks like it a goer then. The map I have is the most aggressive Oetitinger map anyway, without doing anything with the fuel pump. watch this space..........

Over 'just the map' how much better/different does it drive???

It pulls harder in every gear, the turbo spools up quicker and the torque increase makes the car feel much quicker and really pushes you back into your seat. Really noticed a big difference in 4th, 5th and 6th on the motorway as well

I have a custom map and it felt better after the exhaust was fitted but it was the tweaking of the map specifically for the exhaust that really made the difference.

Any plans for the uprated fuel pump Nick?

p

No not for me, just an air intake then i'm done.

As I understand it it's not cut and dry that the fuel pump needs to/should be changed and fueling issues can be resolved by code changes. Some tuners strongly advise against the uprated pump.

:shrug:

Hmm....thats interesting?! I would have thought an uprated pump would make the most of your map/exhaust combo? Just a guess,as im no tuner! I suppose,as you say,it depends on the map.

I've just gone for a Forge intake,which already seems to make quite a difference with the Hammer map on.....next step will be a full TBE,with sports -cat,probably from Torqueflow. Cheaper than Milltex,custom made,with no fitment issues(although they're apparently better these days?)

The uprated fuel pump will follow,if i have fuel issues which can't be sorted with the map.

It would be interesting to know which tuners aren't so keen on the pump? Just so i can research further?

All of the above 'funds and missus permitting!':asskicking:

Gary

Hmm....thats interesting?! I would have thought an uprated pump would make the most of your map/exhaust combo? Just a guess,as im no tuner! I suppose,as you say,it depends on the map.

I've just gone for a Forge intake,which already seems to make quite a difference with the Hammer map on.....next step will be a full TBE,with sports -cat,probably from Torqueflow. Cheaper than Milltex,custom made,with no fitment issues(although they're apparently better these days?)

The uprated fuel pump will follow,if i have fuel issues which can't be sorted with the map.

It would be interesting to know which tuners aren't so keen on the pump? Just so i can research further?

All of the above 'funds and missus permitting!':asskicking:

Gary

As i read it , all map/mods can benefit from the fuel pump upgrade ( with new code ) even if you have a Turbo back on the car you may not be running lean , but the map won't be as radical as it could be in the midrange, where the fueling issues arise.

Adding the pump can give you 40-50bhp in the midrange, with a couple of bhp top end.

p

We don’t insist or even currently recommend upgrading the pump with our Stage 2 code.

Changing the pump/pump internals is an EASY way to increase pressure, but there have been some who have experienced problems after “upgrading”

Since we have the ability to raise the fuel pressure sufficiently through re-calibration of map data with zero fuel cut issues with our code, then we currently see no reason to recommend changing it !

We hope to get Nicks S3 back on a dyno in the near future, & we will post the results for all to see.

But one thing it is most certainly not lacking in through not having had a HPFP modification is the mid range, to say its strong is an understatement J

Thanks for the info,i'll certainly give it some thought. Classy website too!

Now,what can i sell to fund that TBE???

We don’t insist or even currently recommend upgrading the pump with our Stage 2 code.

Changing the pump/pump internals is an EASY way to increase pressure, but there have been some who have experienced problems after “upgrading”

Since we have the ability to raise the fuel pressure sufficiently through re-calibration of map data with zero fuel cut issues with our code, then we currently see no reason to recommend changing it !

We hope to get Nicks S3 back on a dyno in the near future, & we will post the results for all to see.

But one thing it is most certainly not lacking in through not having had a HPFP modification is the mid range, to say its strong is an understatement J

Hiya mate , have you got any Dyno plots of your work/Nicks car?

p

This was a few months ago with just the remap

S3Dyno19-04-08.jpg

Good gains with the exhaust, going back to the fuel pump issue why do people advise against it?

Having a fuel running well within its limits rather than one running at its max must be better. From what i gather the uprated pump allows for a more aggresive map giving better mid range power. The only drawbacks i have heard about in another thread were that the cam buckets wore quicker.

Any feedback guys as im getting an uprated pump soon.

Heres a couple of plots of ZBOYDS Cupra with and without the pump ( cheers Mark )

A conservative APR map and APR turbo back.

powergraph001.jpg

Same as above and the APR fuel pump and code.

rr_070608.jpg

The difference in the midrange is there for all to see , in plot 2 ZBOYD is nearly hitting peak power at 4.5k and holing it till a good 6.5k , thats a good 40-50bhp over the non pump map which doesn't hit peak power till 5.7k and starts to drop off pretty quick.

It's just a option , another avenue for people to go down , as for issues with the fuel pump there is none ( as such ). There some issues with the Cam bucket wearing , but that can happen on Std cars too.

p

The plot Nick posted is for his original & quite conservative mapping with STOCK HW, still you can see it’s stronger than the APR with turbo back. Peak figures aside just look at the curves.

However his current code has somewhat more aggressive settings, & we are looking forward to getting it on the dyno !

As for the HPFP upgrades if you want to believe there are no issues "as such" that’s entirely your own decision, I won’t lose any sleep over it J

We have nothing to gain in not currently recommending the upgrade to our customers, other than actually caring about maintaining the health of there engines & not the profit we could make by supplying & fitting an upgraded pump or pump internals !

Cheers
Morgan

Nicks got a nice looking plot , no ones saying any different, i thanked him for posting it.

I posted ZBOYD's plots to show SHOROB the gains of the fuel pump and gave my opinion that there are no issues as such with them ( lot's of people have them with no issues )

If you know any different Morgan would you not like to share it with the forum, all opinion and advice is good for everybody.

Thanks

p