S3 problems 2200 miles in!

Kontraband

Reaction score
So, yesterday I get in the car, fire it up and drive. About 2 mins into the drive, the stereo, with ipod in, turns off and the doors unlock. 5 seconds later the stereo starts back up and doors lock again. I continue my drive, no other issues except this one repeating about 3 or 4 times before finally not picking up the ipod and just going to radio... then ... after a couple more restarts it stays on fine.

I know the answer, anyone care to have a stab tho? :whistle2:

Sounds like a faulty ignition barrell or a short in the system. It is almost as if the car thinks the key has been removed and the accessories turn off and the doors unlock. Then when it corrects itself the accessories turn back on and the doors lock as you are over 12mph.

Presumably the engine doesn't cut out though.

****** hell Marc your good!

;)

Needs a new ignition and accelerator sensor as its exactly as you said.... going in tomorrow. Not sure why it needs the accel sensor, but thats whats been done. They were pretty keen to get it in as soon as they could too...

not long to be fair. The guy drove it into the service dock, and came out the otherside about 15 mins later.

They said they were going to check the key for errors, so I assume that pointed them in the right direction?

I suppose their VAS computer thingy probably picked up the errors anyway.

You were lucky the engine didn't cut out while you were driving - that wouldn't have been a pleasant experience!

****** hell Marc your good!

;)

Needs a new ignition and accelerator sensor as its exactly as you said.... going in tomorrow. Not sure why it needs the accel sensor, but thats whats been done. They were pretty keen to get it in as soon as they could too...

yeah probably multi codes on 5052.

kinda worrying the barrel went on a newish car of all things, hope thats not the start of many huh.

yeah, thats my thoughts exactly... hope its the only problem I have!

I've had the engine cut out on a Vauxhall Vectra I was driving on the M23 a few years back. It was late at night and the motorway was fairly quiet, but it scared the **** out of me still!

I had a engaine cut out on one of the main roundabouts you get at the end of motorway slip roads.

midday saturday , packed out , waiting in traffic on a incline , no power , turned it over , still nothing , put my hazzards on , no power.

There iam stuck there , no hazzards ,tailback behind me,fcukers beeping , i got out had a look in the engaine bay , checked tha battery which had come loose...sorted.

Not nice though.

The car was a Pug GTI 6 :)

p

Years ago my Girlfriends VW Lupo had an ABS moment, ie, hit the brakes hard when someone cut in to a small gap in front of me, lifted pressure off the brake pedal and the ****** brakes stayed on like a vice. I had cars making evasive manouvers either side of me! Not nice!
Turned the car off, then back on and all was reset.
The car was only 4 weeks old so went straight back to VW.
Garage couldn't replicate it, but my girlfriend didn't want it back.
They sent engineers over from Germany eventually to check it and traced it back to a supplier fault on a batch of sensors - Received a very apologetic letter from Germany as well as free servicing on the car whilst she had it and a bunch of flowers for the missus.
Best bit was they gave her a Lupo GTi to run around in whilst they had her's.... now that thing was fun even if my 6'2" made me look like noddy behind the wheel!!!

Scary moment though, god knows how it didn't cause a serious accident.

scary stuff.

well, its all back. Took them the entire day to do and when I turned up 45 mins early the passenger seat was out the car!

Report reads:
Road tested vehicle and checked fault memory via guided fault finding, found faults stored for ignition Switch and Acceleration sender. Confirmed both items failed due to internal electrical failures. Supplied and fitted both ignition switch and acceleration sender as required.

Also reported the window clicking problem talked about in another thread. That now needs a new part (door control unit) so its got to go back in next week.

Sheeeeesh that's bad luck!
Mine's just had it's first service. I reported that the ECU light occassionaly stayed on and it went in to limp mode on it's first start after sitting for a while. Second turn of the key it was fine. Anyway, no faults logged when they checked so hopefully it just needed the service so will be fine now.

yeah, like I said to the lass in the service dept, I hope it wasnt the start of a relationship, not that I didnt like her, but I wasnt keen on seeing her again anytime soon after the next fix! ;)

My old S3 broke down in Denmark a couple fo years back. Got to an Audi delaer out there, they couldn't have been more helpful (but Audi's are REALLY expensive over there!!). Anyway, the lady on reception was soooooo fit! Your typical nordic, blonde, tall, slim, great bristols...... told them to take as long as they wanted with my car!

Little update on this.

Took the car in today for the door control module. Have just had a call back now from Gilders saying that theres just been an update released this morning *was secretly laffing to myself* saying that the software needs updating rather than changing the door control module.

When I dropped my car off, I told them the glovebox wasnt closing very well, and could they check it. Apparently its 'malformed'!! So, this was either done when they changed the other parts, or I just havent really noticed before. Anyway, they now need the parts as they arent in stock so ITS ANOTHER FRICKING VISIT.

I have an A4 Avant 2.0 SE TDi on loan from them... its like driving a sofa. :sob:

If your Glovey is anything like mine, you have to reach over and push it up from the middle, otherwise it doesnt close properly on the left hand latch...

I dont mind it too much, i just slam the ******, then it shuts :)

Also still got this annoying rattle on the right hand side by the light switches..

Grrr

Im off to look at beemers this aft ... :)

Yeah, it did need a big slam. TBH I was thinking they were going to tell me its normal.

Clearly not...

My glove box often won't shut easily due to the wire on my phone charger blocking the hinge a little..... could it be something as daft as that????
I'm assuming they checked..... though you never do know eh :think:

L60N - BMW's eh... you thinking of changing already? Or just out blagging some test drives?

I think the latter at this stage Jamie.

Although i did send a letter to J Hicks this afternoon regarding an issue with my seats which is STILL unresolved after months . I'll post a thread on that when i get a response :)

Jamie, Theres nowt blocking the closure of the glovebox... theres only my ipod in it. (which leads nicely on to my next point)

Khufu, yeah they have gone tight and not put a lock on... the new A3 cab has the lock, not sure about the A3 facelift range in total tho... why they encourage you to load your glovebox with ipods/cd's and then leave it unlocked I have NO IDEA!

L6ON, I love the beemers, and miss mine... I think I'll be going back after this but I dont want to turn this thread into another audi to BM one! ;)

and, its not all doom and gloom..

It seems the software update they did today means I dont need vag com to change any settings now iI have RNS-E.

The update has added the DIS in. :)

Although.... saying that... I never checked the compass setting on the DIS when I installed it so maybe this was there all the time...
10072008321.jpg

I noticed too that the A4 Avant I had showed the bluetooth icon on it... which mine doesnt.

10072008317.jpg

IMG%5D

You might find that they spotted the errors when they hooked the computer up and adjusted to coding accordingly.

I wonder if the BT logo is related to newer firmware on the A4 unit. Have you applied SW0650 yet?

Not applied it yet no... is it worth doing before the re-wire?

If they did spot the errors and adjusted then 'kudos' to them as going on what everyone else had said about retro fitting it, the dealers just wouldnt ever notice an issue unless specifically looking for it,..

yeah, you did... its on disc... in my bag, so I could do it today... its got to go back to Audi tho today too... pic to follow! :banghead:

My RNS-E is a Q... what version does that come with??

Should be 0650 mate, theres an option to see what version your running in the settings tab whilst in NAV. Or it might be that you press "info" whilst in NAV..

AFAIK the Q model is non SDS..

so if its already 0506 is there 2 variations of that sw?

also.... this is how I got my car back from Audi yesterday, noticed it this morning when it started raining. If it starts raining now, Im stuck at work so it will be a call to Audi Breakdown!

NewImage.jpg

IMG%5D

so if its already 0506 is there 2 variations of that sw?

This disc I've sent you is a copy of the SW0650 software hacked to enable SDS on the RNS-e. Your unit didn't ship with SDS enabled by the factory so this disc enables you to do it yourself.

You may already have SW0650 on your unit. To check press the CAR button and under the "Version" menu it will list SW, HW and Map versions.

If your unit is already at 0650 then you can do a VAGCOM modification to allow you to "downgrade" the software. By default this is turned off so that inserting an older disc into your unit won't roll back the firmware. Enabling the downgrade will force the unit to apply whatever software is on the next disc that you insert - even if it is the same version (or lower). Once the update has applied the setting reverts back to the default.

I could have set the SW version on the disc to a higher value than 0650 (i.e. 0651 or 0660) which would have forced the update without the need for VAGCOM coding, but for my own unit I preferred to have the SW version showing the actual version.

If you don't have VAGCOM and want to force the update then you can modify the INDEX.TXT file in the root of your update disc to give it a higher SW version.

Open the file and change the first line from SOFIDX:0650 to SOFIDX:0660 and burn it to another disc.

If your car has a SW version lower than 0650 then you can just insert the disc without any VAGCOM coding or modifying the text file.

Back on topic a bit
Might book a visit to AUDI soon.

-Worn door seal (nearly holed), interference fit with door close.
-Glove box lid needs a tug to open after its unlatched. `Soft open` a bit too soft.
-Erratic sunroof closure from key fob. (must be female)

57 Plate 7K Miles
Nothing major. Just not right.
Not enough to buy a Laguna diesel at least.

anyone had these probs?
Cheers
Paul

Its opens and cloese ok from the roof switch.

Just doesnt always close from the fob?

cheers
Paul

Mine is exactly the same Paul - and was on my old A3. Clearly an Audi trait.

Back on topic a bit
Might book a visit to AUDI soon.

-Worn door seal (nearly holed), interference fit with door close.
-Glove box lid needs a tug to open after its unlatched. `Soft open` a bit too soft.
-Erratic sunroof closure from key fob. (must be female)

57 Plate 7K Miles
Nothing major. Just not right.
Not enough to buy a Laguna diesel at least.

anyone had these probs?
Cheers
Paul

I've had the glove box one, now totally bust so just kinda flops down

The door seal on mine would be very different being a sportback but there is a tear at the top where it closes against the B pillar if that helps

Theres clearly some issue with some glove boxes. Get em replaced. :)

Marc, cheers for the info fella. Will check that out

Got a TT-S for when the glove box goes in... will have a nice drive in that down to Brum and back.