Air con smells

Monsoon

Reaction score
My air con has started to smell. Not really bad (though still not especially pleasant) - like pollen, or as though you're walking through a field of oilseed rape. Then it disappears after a few minutes, but may come back later. I'm not sure, but I think it also happens when the ECO button is on. Is it likely to be the obvious problem, i.e. the pollen filter needs changing, or could it be something else? Thanks.

Sorry - just realised I should have done a search first... There's a bit on there about smelly air con, but nothing specific about pollen smell.

I think your first guess maybe spot on mate. Not sure where the filters are though tbh.

Incidentally there is now an air con forum on this site. Eventually I hope people will use it lots and learn from it and then can answer questions for others.

This is known of air con. Its a build up of bacteria (yuk!) due to the cooling then damp conditions of the condenser.
You can buy cleaner (i think comma make it) that you spray over the intake under the fresh air duct after removing the pollen filter.
If you can be bothered to do this, you can run the car for 20 mins with the heater on full blast and the condenser off(max heat on econ).

http://www.commaoil.com/product Pages/Maintenance/airconclean.htm

The pollen filter is located behind the glovebox - it is easily accessed and is literally a 5min job!

I took mine out not so long ago and it was black!!!

Aircon still smells though when it is not on so going to bug bomb it soon!

I tried the stuff you mentioned The911SC, but the smell returned a couple of days later. The next step I'll take is to change the pollen filter. Anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price and how to change it? Thanks.