Cambelt? Fallen Off!

K-Dash

Reaction score
Being very short on money at the moment I need help on this big time!

In february this year I had my 80k service and Cambelt change.

Today I started my car to hear a clunk come from the engine bay.

I check under the bonnet and fallen off to the bottom of the bay is a belt and some pulleys/tensioners or what enver those round parts are.

pics:

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

Is this the cambelt? It attaches to what looks like the alternator?

If so, where do I stand with the company who fitted it only 4/5 months ago?

I didn't drive it after it did this, but is it likely to have caused any other problems?

cheers guys.

looks like the tensioner has come away off of your drive belt, is not the cambelt, without it the car wouldn't run. I can still see one of the bolts that holds it in place so maybe its come loose (hopefully that and its not sheared). If you can take a look and see if anything look broken it may just be a case of bolting it back in if its not broken. I wouldn't advise driving as without the drive belt you wont be charging the battery, no aircon and in the old days, no power steering but I believe its a different layout nowadays.

I'd phone the garage and say to them the tensioner has fallen off after a short period and see what they say.

cheers mate, very helpful and constructive post.

I will take a look later.

So its not the cambelt?

After the clunk it ran for about 20 seconds before I turned it off and the idle revs were all over the shop.

would this cause any damage.

will it have been something they removed or adjusted when replacing cambelt or servicing it.

The drive belt runs various pumps and pulleys, so its quite possible that your engine would run rough without this connected properly. No lasting damage will have occurred, unless you run the engine for a while.

Its normal for the drive belt to have to be removed to change the cam belt

As said, def not cambelt. You won't have done any damage. Not sure about the TDi engine but the drivebelt tensioner doesnt need to be removed, you use a spanner to rotate it round and lock it in place with a pin or drill bit. This takes the tension off the belt so you can change it. to replace, just use spanner to take up tension and remove what ever pin you locked it in place with.

thanks again for the replies, one very mechanically unintelligent guy going home to wash his pants.