Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

RNS-E - TMC Help .....

hi all..

Just a quick q's if anybody knows the answers please help me out...

TMC best to set to auto or a certain station ????

TMC i know you can display the messages on screen via the INFO button, but does it only give you voice warnings if your actually navigating on route or does it still warn you if your just viewing the map normally ( ie the road your actually driving on at the time ) ???

cheers boys...
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
    hi all..

Just a quick q's if anybody knows the answers please help me out...

TMC best to set to auto or a certain station ????

TMC i know you can display the messages on screen via the INFO button, but does it only give you voice warnings if your actually navigating on route or does it still warn you if your just viewing the map normally ( ie the road your actually driving on at the time ) ???

cheers boys...
    I leave mine on auto. It seems to pick up all the traffic!

It will only tell your verbally that it is re-routing so of course it only does that when you're using navigation. Hence why some people, including myself, program a destination even if they know the way. I then turn of voice commands but a re-route will override this and I can then follow the new route.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

5th Gear

Status
    I have had mixed results with TMC and it always seems behind what is actually happening by quite a bit. The only time it worked great was when I had my RS4 and the M4 was closed at cardiff; it then routed me around the closure avoiding 10 miles of tailbacks!.. At several locations I crossed over the motorway to see a sea of tail lights!...
    But, last night it said there were 6 mile tailbacks in the roadworks around cardiff and tried to re route me; I ignored it (for the seconf time this week) and found about 100 yds of slow traffic which cleared quickly. The TMC then updated to say 3 miles of queues!... So, dont trust it all the time!...
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

Status
    Mine is also set to Auto. I think you only get the verbal warning if you're in Navigation mode, as opposed to simply viewing your position in Map mode.I love the TMC feature - it has saved us on long journeys before - but it does seem slow to update sometimes when you start the car.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The911SC View Post
    I have had mixed results with TMC and it always seems behind what is actually happening by quite a bit.
    The best way to get all the TMC data is to leave it set to Auto.

But ... the data you get is NOT automatically generated. It's manually entered - so it's ALWAYS behind what's actually happening. But it's usually better than nothing...

If you think TMC data is inaccurate in the UK you should try it in France - last summer it told us about roadworks ... that had finished 2 YEARS earlier! Good job we decided to take the risk and ignore it.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    The best way to get all the TMC data is to leave it set to Auto.

But ... the data you get is NOT automatically generated. It's manually entered - so it's ALWAYS behind what's actually happening. But it's usually better than nothing...

If you think TMC data is inaccurate in the UK you should try it in France - last summer it told us about roadworks ... that had finished 2 YEARS earlier! Good job we decided to take the risk and ignore it.
    Quality ,
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

6th Gear

Status
    Its always been spot on with me.

Ignored it once and was stuck in a tailback that took me nearly 2 hours to do about 8 miles, never again!

Not sure if people know but a handy way to know it is activated is if a D is shown on the red arrow on the DIS when in navigation mode.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks Jamie, so TMC = D....
    Must be vorsprung dirk logic.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    Its always been spot on with me.

Ignored it once and was stuck in a tailback that took me nearly 2 hours to do about 8 miles, never again!

Not sure if people know but a handy way to know it is activated is if a D is shown on the red arrow on the DIS when in navigation mode.
    Never new that regarding the ' D ' on the DISm

Noticed it this morning on way to work came on and off and then back on again...

Cheers

Reverse Gear

Status
    My TMC indicator is always crossed out.
    Local dealer says it is a licensing problem in Scotlnad and it will noy work. Seems odd considering I spent the last 2 years using TMC in a land Rover and longer with a Navman previously.

Is this advice from the dealer correct?
    06 (55) B7 3.0TDI Q DPF Sport Tip, Garnet red with black hood, Alloy wheels, 16-spokes, Heated seats, phone prep.(Bluetooth), Auto-dimming RV mirror& light sensor, Interior light pack, Acoustic hood, Heated door mirrors & washer jets, Acoustic parking system - rear, BOSE sound system, Satnav plus