Fell in love with my Audi again this week...

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
For the last 2 days i've been on a bit of a road trip with a mate. We went to visit a buddy of ours near birmingham and stopped of for a day at Alton Towers.

My mate has a 2007 Peugeot 207 GTI. Now i admit i'm sometimes very quick to knock my A3 and point out it's faults. Yes we pay a premium to own an Audi compared to other marques but my god when i got back into mine this morning i have never been so happy.
Despite having 175bhp in a lighter car, that pug just felt so skittish, cheap, plasticky. Whatever the premium is for my A3 it is worth every penny. It felt sooo much more well designed, luxurious, refined, planted and generally... infinitely better made.

Thats all really, just wanted to share my new-found appreciation for my Audi. She will be going in the next few months but i'll treat her with a lot more respect til she does! So in future, before you have a pop at your Audi just be thankful you don't drive anything french.

Paul.

There will be people that dont agree with this but I find the same. Get complacent with what I have until I travel in something else then when I get back in mine I realise how nice it is again.

So in future, before you have a pop at your Audi just be thankful you don't drive anything french.

Pfffft...
I was often very thankful for my wife's 100% reliable French car, whilst my Audi was in the garage for the *umpteenth* time....
Don't be so quick to knock them.:p

It always surprises me when mates get into my car and say "i really love this car, it's gorgeous" (including Golf and 1 series owners)... I never think of it as anything 'special'. But then when i've driven something else or travelled in what is supposed to be a 'similar' car by a competitor e.g. this Pug.... I see where they're coming from.

Pfffft...
I often very thankful for my wife's 100% reliable French car, whilst my Audi was in the garage for the *umpteenth* time....

I wasn't commenting on reliability (although mine has been faultless so far), i was aiming my judgement at the overall feel of the car. I just found the Peugeot a generally nasty, harsh place to be.

But then when i've driven something else or travelled in what is supposed to be a 'similar' car by a competitor e.g. this Pug.... I see where they're coming from.

Again, I have to pull you up on that, because it's a completely unfair comparison
What's the price difference between a 207Gti and your car?
How would Audi fair if they had to build a car down to that price?
Given that the Gti is the top of the 207 range, how much do Audi charge for their comparitive top of the range model?
It's like comparing a Linn stereo with an Amstrad, it's just completely unfair.

At a very quick glance, a 207 Gti is around £16k
Your car is, what, £21k?
So, to sum up.
Congratulations that your £5k dearer car feels better.
Give yourself a big high-five.

Thats what he said though Bowfer:

Whatever the premium is for my A3 it is worth every penny. It felt sooo much more well designed, luxurious, refined, planted and generally... infinitely better made.

You cant knock it really...

I don't get it, I really don't.
By all means knock a car that costs the same as yours, but fails to match up.
Knocking a car that is £5k less is just so utterly pointless.
Now, if you'll forgive me, I have to go onto a Diesel Jeans website and congratulate myself that they're so much better than George at Asda.:wacko:

I dont even think he was comparing them Bowfer, merely stating that it made him realise he was taking his car a little for granted (which we all do)

Again, you cant knock it.

Besides - When talking about value, thats all a matter of personal preference too so I say let the man have his opinion.

I think the point has been totally missed. As i said, i'm always very quick to knock my Audi for it's faults and complain about the big premium we have to pay. But after spending a couple of days in the Peugeot i do actually see where the money is spent and i for one do not regret a penny of the extra the A3 costs.

Maybe it's because i'm the sort of person who would rather spend £150 on a shirt which fits and feels fantastic and makes me feel great wearing it, rather than spend fiver at primark on a shirt which admittedly might last longer, be easier to wash and iron etc.

If that makes me wrong or silly with my money then so be it, but that's my choice.

207 doesnt compair with an A3. Should be compared with a 307. Its like comparing a Golf V to a Polo. Or did you meant the 307?
Doubt the outcome would have changed much though.

*Beware, thoughts or opinions MAY result in getting a bashing. You do so at your own risk*

:)

I must admit, I find the opposite these days.
Less expensive cars are losing that 'cheap' feel.
Look at the inside of a new Renault Laguna or Citroen C5.
You may not like them, but the materials used are as good as any mainstream german motor (before some smartass mentions a Maybach), and so is the build quality.
I've said it before, but I feel a 'blindfold' test would be very revealing.
I bet a few of us would embarrass ourselves!:huh:
I think a fair few of us, myself included, pretty much convince ourselves our cars are better, because we daren't admit we don't really have a good reason to spend the extra money any more.

I'm not spending my own money though.
If I were spending my own money, you wouldn't see me near an Audi/BMW dealer.

Like i keep saying.... I'm talking the overall 'feel' of a car. I'm sure Peugeot use wonderful materials and make bomb proof motors. Their quirky styling and general appeal and image just isn't my cup of tea at all.
Sure if i was a thrifty, shrewd, economically minded person with no interest in prestige, image, feel and style i wouldn't touch a German marque either. I'm sure those Tato's are awesome for £1500. Probably get a good range on a tank of fuel as well.

Like i keep saying.... I'm talking the overall 'feel' of a car. I'm sure Peugeot use wonderful materials and make bomb proof motors. Their quirky styling and general appeal and image just isn't my cup of tea at all.
Sure if i was a thrifty, shrewd, economically minded person with no interest in prestige, image, feel and style i wouldn't touch a German marque either. I'm sure those Tato's are awesome for £1500. Probably get a good range on a tank of fuel as well.

Nail on the head mate.

Since Ive had my S3 nearly all of my first time (NON AUDI owning)passengers have commented on the interior quality and feel. In fact everyting about it (including the `****` thing since last Sunday!)

Im sure we arent just `imagining` it because weve spent the money.
My friends couldnt give a toss what Ive spent it aint their money!
If its nice then it nice, lets not try and analyse it!

Had a mate of mine in it on Sat for the first time, he knows his motors and is quite a discerning chap, hes owned all kinds of stuff in the past, 996C2, MINI, AUDIs etc in the past, and currently drives an Jag X Type company car.
The first thing he commented on was the fit/finish/quality of the interior, and then the general feel, ambience etc.

Anyway, thats my experinece, which echoes yours, hence my 2p.

Enjoy

Cheers
Paul

*** Bowfer, has there ever been a pro-Audi comment on this forum that you haven't argued with in some way? Are you in any way related to Dennis Wise?

It always surprises me when mates get into my car and say "i really love this car, it's gorgeous" (including Golf and 1 series owners)... I never think of it as anything 'special'. But then when i've driven something else or travelled in what is supposed to be a 'similar' car by a competitor e.g. this Pug.... I see where they're coming from.

I have the EXACT same feeling you do mate. Your not alone =)

*** Bowfer, has there ever been a pro-Audi comment on this forum that you haven't argued with in some way

Ok, I'll agree with this one then.
A £21k Audi uses nicer interior materials than a £16k Peugeot.:applaus:

I look forward to a list of other £16k cars that have worse interiors than a £21k Audi.:lazy:

Had a mate of mine in it on Sat for the first time, he knows his motors and is quite a discerning chap, hes owned all kinds of stuff in the past, 996C2, MINI, AUDIs etc in the past, and currently drives an Jag X Type company car.
The first thing he commented on was the fit/finish/quality of the interior, and then the general feel, ambience etc.

You were doing well until his current car... Not surprised he commented on the fit/finish/quality, I be he'd sit in my sons little tikes patrol car and make the same observation :)

8401_1.JPG

*** Bowfer, has there ever been a pro-Audi comment on this forum that you haven't argued with in some way? Are you in any way related to Dennis Wise?

LOL...I think your missing the point. I would be seriously pee'd off if my £21K car didn't feel a little more special than a £16K one

Ok, I'll agree with this one then.
A £21k Audi uses nicer interior materials than a £16k Peugeot.:applaus:

I look forward to a list of other £16k cars that have worse interiors than a £21k Audi.

You just can't stop yourself can you? The guy makes an innocent positive comment about his Audi, but you have to analyse exactly what he is saying and then try to pull it apart because you can't abide anyone enjoying their Audi when you didn't.

You were doing well until his current car... Not surprised he commented on the fit/finish/quality, I be he'd sit in my sons little tikes patrol car and make the same observation :)

8401_1.JPG

Agree, I drove the Jag back from Leeds at the weekend.
Was ok for a Motorway mile muncher but thats about it.
Not great IMO.

And like PNH80 said before, was a nice feeling getting into mine after his Jag.

(Am I alowed to make that comparison ?)

Anyway, you know what Im getting at.:moa:

Paul

having had a daughter for a couple of years and more recently added a son to the fleet i find the materials used in the red car with the yellow roof are far superior to those used in the 'police' version aimed at boys. I just feel they've tried to do too much with the new boys version and have crammed too much technology and gadgetry in at the expense of luxurious fit & finish. The original red & yellow is still the same price but offers focussed driver enjoyment whilst still maintaining that illusive 'surprise & delight' that keeps you loving the car for years to come

little tykes are not what they used to be

To be honest i'm gobsmacked that intelligent adults are missing my point STILL by quite a distance! No one is comparing a Peugeot to an A3. I'm simply saying that after spending time in the Peugeot, whatever complaints i had about my A3 pretty much disappeared. The Pug just lacked in every department and the premium for an A3 is worth every single penny compared to other 'hot hatches' by other marques. This also applies to my mates Megane Sport 225.
People often ask the question is the A3 worth the asking price in this forum so the point of my thread is to say, that in my opinion, after sampling other hatches.... yes it is!
Christ it's not rocket science, just airing an opinion about my own car!
You'd think i'd launched a personal insult. Bizarre.

dude, i agree with you, my waffle about little tykes was just random, nothing to do with aiming my disagreement at you

i like my audi, as do you and it makes you feel ok about having spent more money, cool & the gang, whether you should expect it too or not doesn't come into it.

i think most people understand what you are saying, but t's no fun for some people to read one post on a forum and nod your head and go back on amateurmilfs.com without posting something 'challenging'!

but t's no fun for some people to read one post on a forum and nod your head and go back on amateurmilfs.com without posting something 'challenging'!

That is a classic mate!:salute:

I agree with this thread.
You become so complacent with the car as a package, when you spend a bit of time out of it, or drive a lower tier car then get back, you suddenly appreciate all the 'little' things.
It's nice to be reminded what you piad your hard earned on though isn't it!

FWIW I was beginning to warm to my A3 again until i came to bring wife home from hospital with our son and another fecking wheel bearing has gone

it is a piece of ****

FWIW I was beginning to warm to my A3 again until i came to bring wife home from hospital with our son and another fecking wheel bearing has gone

it is a piece of ****

Congrats on the new arrival.
LOL at the other bit.

cheers
At least the wife's car has iso fix too, the Audi's heading back on a low loader, hopefully it will burn :)

You'll never be a happy man as long as you have that car mate...get rid of it.

Even if it's for a run around untill you can afford the car you want ( money in the bank doesn't depriciate ) :)

p

it is a piece of ****

The car sounds like a bit of a pup.

My last Golf was a bit like that for 12 out of the 15 months I had it.
Didnt put me off Golfs though and I would have another as I knew Id just been unlucky.
Few other guys that I knew had the same car didnt have the probs I had.

Luck of the draw...or not

cheers
Paul

I've said it before, but I feel a 'blindfold' test would be very revealing.

Your practically tripping yourself up, its not just about feel, as its about materials look and the Audi interiors are superior, in look and feel. Granted you pay for it but the point is there superior !!

Like he says compare it to a 207 you realise why you pay the extra because you just wouldn't be happy with some french plastic crap

You'll never be a happy man as long as you have that car mate...get rid of it.

Even if it's for a run around untill you can afford the car you want ( money in the bank doesn't depriciate ) :)

p

can't

company car, stuck with it till May next year, if it makes it there!