JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

Depreciation- haggling- Mini

I have just read the honest john guide on how to buy a new car but just wanted to be 100% on how cheap I can really get this car!
    My 56 plate A3 was born september 06. It now has 27153 miles to be exact on the clock.
    I am interested in a Mini cooper D (don't ask...) for september on the 58 plate. List price is 14,420 for the mini. I will be addding the pepper pack and MFSW as extras. Total cost on the mini website is 15,690.
    Dealer 1 yesterday offered a lowish 12k for my A3 but after a bit more convincing offered 12600.
    They keep saying the A3 is loosing 400/month. Is this sales talk or is this true- I mean this means this time next year it'll be worth peanuts- like 6-7k??
    I thought Audi's did far better than that?
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    They are pulling your todger especially as the Mini is a desireable motor, get some PX values from alternate garages or consider a private sale.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

6th Gear

Status
    There's paper value and there's real world value, IMO.
    On paper an A3 will be worth xxxxx, but the trouble is there are so bloody many of them for sale.
    If did a search on Autotrader for Audi A3 - diesel - under 40000 miles - under 3 years old.
    There were 1075 returns.

FWIW though, I was offered a paltry trade-in for my wife's car, against a Mini.
    So paltry, I decided to cancel the Mini order.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

4th Gear

Status
    They told me that no Audi dealer is bidding for it. I mean is this truth or are they pulling my leg. It's still a desirable car for gods sake!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

6th Gear

Status
    There are thousands for sale, mate.
    I can quite believe no Audi dealer is bidding for it, they probably have too many already.
    If you go into audi.co.uk's used car locator, they've got hundreds of under 30k miles, under two years old, 2.0tdi's for sale.
    I can get a specific figure, it's maximum setting is 200+
    No denying the A3 has been a sales success, but that has it's downfalls.
    This is why I'm going PCH/PCP next.
    I can't be done with the hassle/heartache involved with selling/trading in.

4th Gear

Status
    Too true bowfer I know. But how many Mini's do we see on the road? Hardly Volvo C30's rarity are they!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

6th Gear

Status
    Minis benefit from being uber-fashionable, the A3 doesn't.

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Minis benefit from being uber-fashionable, the A3 doesn't.
    Maybe 5 years ago...

5th Gear

Status
    try one of the web brokers like bettercardeal (http://www.bettercardeal.co.uk/)
    You can put all your PX stuff in there plus you may get discount on the new vehicle. The overall cost is what you need to look at (i.e. the discount can offset some of the old car depreciation but its rare to get over book and discount!)
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Maybe 5 years ago...
    Nope, still.
    You try getting a discount on a Mini.
    It was only 3 months ago I tried to buy one for the wife.
    Using the usual online deal searches, the biggest discount I could find was 20.00!
    I play with these deal locators all the time, it's the only time I've seen that.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 2nd July 2008 at 14:24.

4th Gear

Status
    Absolutely Zilch discount on mini's. I suppose why would you discount a car which sells itself.
    It is frustrating though but helps when resale time comes. They hold on to their value, so much so I can't quite believe it!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

L60N
    Nope, still.
    Using the usual online deal searches, the biggest discount I could find was 20.00!
    I play with these deal locators all the time, it's the only time I've seen that.
    I referring to the "uber fashionable" status you gave it

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    I referring to the "uber fashionable" status you gave it
    I know.
    Its sales suggest it still is.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983 View Post
    Absolutely Zilch discount on mini's. I suppose why would you discount a car which sells itself.
    It is frustrating though but helps when resale time comes. They hold on to their value, so much so I can't quite believe it!
    hi, i bought the mrs a brand new mini (r56) a few months ago, its was a factory order to my spec and got 3% off list price (wippeeee), thay just dont really do discounts like you said the car just sells so well anyway.... I put about 5500 down as a deposit and pay about 100 on month on a 24month pcp !!

spoke to the dealer the other day as looking at changing it in sept for a new one reckonks we still have about 4800 to use again and same sort of monthly pcp of 100 couldnt beleive it, such a good deal !!!
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

2nd Gear

Status
    Tried a couple of Audi dealers when selling my S3 both said they are not buying stock. Both also said dropping in price by 400 per month.
    Guess thats the dealers bible for you

1st Gear

Status
    hi just grabbed these figures off a website shows car units sales last month and on the year i think >??

mini was far out in front at number 1 , also popped audi and bmw on to compare dif..

MINI 40.5% at 5,211 (6/08: 4,174)
    Audi 18.5% at 8,203 (6/08: 7,789)
    BMW –6.6% at 20,944 (6/08: 25,220)
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

6th Gear

Status
    Those figures are pish.
    Mini only sell Minis!
    Audi and BMW sell loads of different cars, so without a breakdown by model it's completely meaningless.

1st Gear

Status
    Those figures are pish.
    Mini only sell Minis!
    Audi and BMW sell loads of different cars, so without a breakdown by model it's completely meaningless.
    WHY...

Just backs up what was being said that they sell minis by the shed load and dont need to discount them anyway !!!!!

S3 (8P)

Status
    I would seriously consider selling the AUDI private.
    I achieved around 2K more for my previous Golf when selling privately, compared to the best P/x offer I had.

People still want A3s (amongst other cars) so it will sell for the right money. And certainly for more than any dealer will bid you.

Good luck.

Paul

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Talking

Nope, still.
    It's hard to get discount, but not impossible.
    10 Plate / 2010 Ibis S3 - Buckets, Bose, Black Optics Grill, GSM Prep + IPhone4 cradle, Light & Rain Sensors, Interior Light Pack, PDC+,19" BBS CH Black Edition Alloys, GIAC Stg1, VWR Panel Filter, VWR custom front springs, VW Uprated Rear ARB. Mich PSS Tyres

To do: 2010 Rns-e, Haldex Performance Controller.

1st Gear

Status
    I px'd my 2006 A3 Tdi170 S-Line Sportback 3 weeks ago for a Mini Cooper S (the missus drives the car most of the time and has been hounding after one for a couple of years).

I got 15k for my 2006 A3 which had 26k on the clock. It was pretty highly spec'd with full leather, 20spoke alloys, privacy glass, cruise, chrome rails, heated seats, and a good few other bits but struggled to get 15k. The Audi dealer I bought it from is opposite the Mini dealership and wouldn't even offer on it!! Huntingdon Audi now have it up for sale at 17, 495: http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600330530

I was also told that used A3 prices are dropping at 300 to 400 per month at the moment.

It seems that Mini sales are also flagging though as we got 1k knocked off the price of nearly new Cooper S we bought, and paid 4k less then its origianal price. We put down a good sized deposit and ended up going the PCP route to avoid the hassle/stress of getting negotiating a px figure when we sell on.

The most amazing thing about the Cooper S against the Tdi170 A3 is the 2mpg difference we are getting in fuel economy on the weekly commute. factor in the price diifference between diesel and petrol and we are better off!!

I miss the A3's far superior quality and solidity and do feel the new price of a brand new Mini is rather optimistic to say the least, but throw a Mini down some B-roads and corners and the fun factor really kicks in.
    Last edited by coupe-se; 3rd July 2008 at 14:16.