Chris NottSky Insurance
    Yellow peril

Status

Volvo C30 R-Design

Sorry it's not an Audi thread per se.

As above; does anyone else think that if you spec these right, they can be an affordable and desirable car?

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I really like the look of them. I also think Volvo have got it right by not charging a premium for R-design spec (unlike Audi's S-Line or BMW M-Sport). I'm also impressed by the generally high level of standard equipment.

On cars like this, I can't justify speccing massive engines, etc, so I configured a 'base' R-design Sport 1.6 Manual, which in reality is no slower than the A3 diesel I drive now (another base car, I know, I know). It comes with the, I think, cool bodykit, 17 inch wheels, half leather climate control and other goodies. In my mind it's a competitor to a Mini Cooper, and the car I specced in Ice White was 14,995 on the road.

I should imagine it would feel slightly bigger and more mature than the Mini, but also may be a slightly rarer sight on the roads. Now if I could just persuade the missus she should have one of these instead of a Cooper when the 58 plates come around...
    2007/07 A3 Sportback 1.9TDi SE in Toucan Yellow and now debadged because my '.' fell off!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stalled

Status
    Theres a couple of C30 around where I live, front looks good but the back end looks totally disgusting imo.

3rd Gear

Status
    not going to hold much resale value at all in my humble opinion

L60N
    I like them, seen a few in white and I think they look quirky and cool.

Gor for it

Yellow peril

Status
    A roughly equivalently specced Mini came in at over 16,000. I know the engine is more sporting (20 extra horses) but they really sting you for options, and that was without any dubious personalisation.

The wife's sister is running an 08 Cooper, on 17s, with half leather and standard AC and paying 280 per month.

Going to give Sainsbury's bank and others a call and hopefully be able to beat that.

On a dreaded side note, my wife had a test of a 1 series 118d (145hp). Whatever you think of BMW and the 1 in particular, that efficient dynamics engine was great (in normal use, you really wouldn't need anymore). However, upping from ES to SE doesn't get you much in equipment (wheels are no bigger, etc), so the price for a decent spec was between 22-23,000 or around 350 a month (with a big deposit). Haven't been back to ink the deal, needless to say.
    2007/07 A3 Sportback 1.9TDi SE in Toucan Yellow and now debadged because my '.' fell off!

6th Gear

Status
    I like the Volvo too.
    Some cracking PCH/PCP deals going around on the R-design.
    I've seen under 200 per month.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Yellow peril

Status
    ^^^^^Intriguing^^^^^

3rd Gear

Status
    I noticed in the latest Which? magazine car guide, that the C30 came out top of its class for reliability. Owners like it to drive too.

It's just a shame it only has 2 doors.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    It's just a shame it only has 2 doors.
    Hear hear.
    Real shame, because it would have been a definite possibility for the wife's next motor.
    I'm not putting any kids of mine into the back of a two door car though.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3