RNSe Installed

L

L60N

Im making this post to really thank a couple of guys on this forum, without whom, i'd have either lost my head or done something completely daft.

I bought a 2008 model RNSe on ebay for £550 plus postage last week. It arrived today and I ripped it out of the box without delay and swapped it with my BNS 5.0 CD nav.

Straight away there was problems, a constant clicking noise and to boot the screen was stuck. Another problem was the DVD being stuck in the unit which wouldnt eject or read! :keule:

My heart sank rapidly as i was thinking "Have i just lost £600??"

Anyway a PM to MarcQuinlivan expressing my worries later, I got a rapid response, he was straight on the case and gave me a lot of tips and pointers.

Also Mitch78 tried to put my mind at rest and assured me we could possibly sort it with his VAGcom software.

Later today driving around with the constant clicking (i was ready to boil over at this point) the screen decided to close and the nav screen fired up, I was over the moon!!

Touch wood its been perfect since and is operating 100%.

I cant beleive the seller shipped it with the DVD in but i've advised him to stop that in future because as Marc pointed out, it can easily become dislodged in transit.

Tonight ive been round at Lee's (Mitch78) and he's had it hooked up to the VAGCom, after a bit of fettling and trawling of the net he cleared all the faults (Even one fault Audi had coded wrong!!) and its running perfectly.

My initial reactions to the unit are that its WELL worth the money. The NAV info is absolutley idiot proof and is displayed on a lovely big screen. Its also nice to see the track names displayed for easy selection when using the SD slots. Also whilst im on that subject; with the SD cards you can switch really rapidly between tracks wheras the ipod goes into meltdown if you skip quickly 4 more more tracks forward/backward.

So I just wanted to say a big thanks to Marc; for all your advice, even from way back when I was window shopping, you made sure i didnt buy the wrong model lol :jester:, and Lee for all the help with clearing the faults and lending me the removal keys. You've both kept me sane when panic was beginning to set in :friends:

30062008221.jpg

30062008222.jpg

30062008223.jpg

30062008224.jpg

Superb news mate. People criticise RNSe for loads of things on this site - personally I've had it all over Europe and its NEVER let me down.

A great move - well done on the self fit too (bet you have a few more grey hairs now though).

Glad you finally got it sorted Leon.

All you need now are some aluminium knobs to finish it off!

I agree that it is well worth the investment. I previously had a Garmin 660 which I felt suited my needs and didn't think it was worth getting the RNS-e, but I think it is one of the best "extras" I've bought for the car. It also allows me to hook in a TV Tuner and some other stuff that I would otherwise have been without.

Hell!!! I can imagine how you felt when it started clicking!!! :gun2:

Great to hear you got it sorted tho mate, and help from the local lads shows this forums a great place to be.

Looks great... just gotta find a reason now for me to get one for me 16 mile identical daily trip to work! ;)

I'd have never had made prosport without it, my sense of direction isn't great...I once ended up in Hull whilst trying to get to sheffield from castleford :wacko:

On the way back from Germany last week we were on the M20 with the RNSe turned on (didn't need it - I know my way back from Dover to Manchester Ok) and the posh bird who speaks to you started saying "WARNING: Your route has been changed due to major traffic disruptions. Please follow redirected route". I obeyed like a good lad (she's pretty scary) and we were home in 4 hours. Later I found out she'd avoided an M25 closure, a major traffic incident on the M40 and a 6 mile tailback on the M6 - estimated journey time 7 hours.

Its times like that when you thank God for RNSe.

Hey what map/software are you running? I have the 2007 map and I don't get that lane pictogram! I want it!

You need to go into the options and there'll be one for "intersection zoom". turn this on or off to change it. One of them gives you the split screen image at junctions and the other one just zooms the full screen in when you approach a junction.

On the way back from Germany last week we were on the M20 with the RNSe turned on (didn't need it - I know my way back from Dover to Manchester Ok) and the posh bird who speaks to you started saying "WARNING: Your route has been changed due to major traffic disruptions. Please follow redirected route". I obeyed like a good lad (she's pretty scary) and we were home in 4 hours. Later I found out she'd avoided an M25 closure, a major traffic incident on the M40 and a 6 mile tailback on the M6 - estimated journey time 7 hours.

That'll be the TMC feature. If you press the INFO button you'll get a map with a listing of all the roadworks\delays in the area.

yeah, ok... its true.. I want one... Does the new face lift version have the same sort of RNS - E ... i.e. when I get shut of my car will the unit still be worth summat or is it a couple of years and bust?

Also use mine even if I know where i am going. Like you say its useful to know your arrival time, but also useful for avoiding traffic problems via TMC

Yes, same unit with chrome knobs. I imagine there will still be a market for them for quite some time.

Glad you sorted it.. I found that guy (ebay)quite responsive in fairness as I said..

Well i didnt get a response until i send teh last message to say it was wokring ok. :ermm:

Anyway. To answer Magnus911, the software im guessing is version 8.1 (thats written on the disk). Im not sure whether thats recent or not, but most roads are on it..

Marc, Ive turned of TP because im tired of teh radio constantly cutting in. Does that mean that the TMC will not redirect me??

Regards

P.S.. Keep your eye out for a 2008 model Kontraband, the model number should end with a Q :icon_thumright:

Thats a top retro-fit Leon, well done

I had a A4 last week with RNS-E and thought it was great. I didn't want one to be fair until last week and now knowing its around £600 is a good price... might even attempt to fit it myself...

Spacers first this month then maybe Nav the next :)

Si

The little bar graph by the TMC icon - is that the number of satellites being received? I'm sure mine doesn't show that :uhm:

Ahhh - that'll be why mine doesn't show that as I don't have the phone kit!

That's quite handy info though (note to self, must read the manual in future).

You need to go into the options and there'll be one for "intersection zoom". turn this on or off to change it. One of them gives you the split screen image at junctions and the other one just zooms the full screen in when you approach a junction.

Just checked my unit on the way home.

The option for the split screen is "intersection map". The option to zoom in at the junction is "auto intersection zoom". These options are either\or\neither.

There is also a useful one called "turn list" which displays the route junction by junction overlaid over the left half of the screen.

Just checked my unit on the way home.

The option for the split screen is "intersection map". The option to zoom in at the junction is "auto intersection zoom". These options are either\or\neither.

There is also a useful one called "turn list" which displays the route junction by junction overlaid over the left half of the screen.

:iagree:
I have "intersection map" ticked. The auto zoom is not as handy, the intersection option makes it really easy to make the right turns :)

I have turn list off. I dont think its very helpfull, especially when it shows on the right how many miles before you need to turn. Also, I like a full view whilst running along the straights :)

Sounds sh*t hot!

How does the SD cards work with your music? whats the sound like?

p

The sound is great + Track names :) . I think it sounds even better than my ipod dock.

The line volume is a bit lower, but you just turn it up.

The sound is comparable to my Phatbox, but obviously the higher the quality of the mp3 file the better it will sound.

Hmmm some times i have it full whack as it is!

Could you still have a CD changer in the glovebox?

p

L60N
Glad the unit is working for you. It's certainly an option/mod thats worth having. But as good as the RNSe unit is...im slightly disappointed that it isnt touch screen sensitive. Only a minor gripe but if the portable TomTom, Navman etc... all have touch screen, surely AUDI could sort this out in future
(sorry guys, I know it is totally off topic)

L60N
Glad the unit is working for you. It's certainly an option/mod thats worth having. But as good as the RNSe unit is...im slightly disappointed that it isnt touch screen sensitive. Only a minor gripe but if the portable TomTom, Navman etc... all have touch screen, surely AUDI could sort this out in future
(sorry guys, I know it is totally off topic)

Yeah thats a minor thing really, having used it for the last couple of days I can safely say its pretty user friendly.

The main issue is inputting destinations, that can take your concentration a bit, but every one u put in is stored in the memory which makes repeat destinations a doddle :)

have you got your home in... you know... so when someone robs your car, they can find your home? ;)