A3 DSG's

Big A

Reaction score
Quite fancy an automatic for my next car and wondering if all A3's with a DSG box have the steering wheel flappy paddles? Been looking at Mk5 Golf's and Jetta's but only appears that the paddles are available on the GTi and R32. Quite fancy having the paddles so its not a boring drive letting the box do all the changing for me.

Yes, all A3s with the S-tronic (DSG) have the steering wheel paddles.

Thanks Dave, looks like my next car may well be an A3 if I stick with my auto choice.

Quite fancy having the paddles so its not a boring drive letting the box do all the changing for me.

Be aware, DSG (or S-tronic, whatever it's called these days) will always change for you.
Yes, you can play with the paddle between certain revs.
But go too low, or too high, and the box will take over.
Whilst this is understandable with low revs (they don't want you to stall, after all), it is not so understandable at high revs.
The driver of a manual Audi can please himself if/when he should change up.
But a DSG driver isn't allowed to.

Be aware, DSG (or S-tronic, whatever it's called these days) will always change for you.

To the extent that you give up on it and just leave it in auto anyway as it amounts to the same thing ..... DSG was the MAIN reason for me swapping my old A3. I'd recommend a very extended test drive of a car with DSG if you in any way like the thrill of driving a car.

Thought it might change automatically if revs too low like you say, but thought at high revs would hold gear till you flip paddle. Can you also "blip" it on downshift with paddle? I know its not a Ferrari, but would still like the odd bit of fun with it.

I had the DSG (before it was renamed S-Tronic) and there is NO way you can blip on downshifts. Nor does it do it for you. I had the 3.2 V6 and it would change up for me at about 6,200 revs no matter what was happening (i.e. mid corner !!). Its great for a commute or a lazy drive but if you want fun steer clear .....

Thought it might change automatically if revs too low like you say, but thought at high revs would hold gear till you flip paddle. Can you also "blip" it on downshift with paddle? I know its not a Ferrari, but would still like the odd bit of fun with it.

No, it won't hold the gear.
As soon as you let the revs get high, it will change up for you.
You cannot blip for downchanges, but the car does do it for you.
I don't know why Iggu says his didn't, because mine certainly did.
It's a bit pointless on a diesel though, as the engine is too slow revving.
Just a bit of a gimmick, on them.

Also, be aware of 'DSG delay'.
There is a small, but tangible, delay between pressing the throttle and something happening.
Especially noticeable at junctions, where trying to 'nip out' can lead to some hairy moments.:sos:

I don't know why Iggu says his didn't, because mine certainly did.

Big A - this could be very relevant for you. Bowfer's was an 05 plate. My DSG was a very early 04 plate (DSG was just introduced when I ordered it). It definitely provided no blip on downshifts.

I think I've seen on another thread marriedblonde referring to a change to the DSG software at some point which might explain this.

Watch out for the year/date of the A3 you're looking at perhaps ?

Thanks guys. One of the guys in my office is trading in his 3.2 V6 TT and ordered himself a new TT TDi DSG so will see what his is like when he eventually gets it. Seems like everyone in my work is getting a new Audi recently, my boss picked up his A6 TDi last week and my other boss gets his A4 TDi in September.

The delay you talk about is something I had thought about, but with all automatics in general, just as to how quick it knows you want to go, i.e. when pulling out a junction sharply or overtaking, thought the DSG might combat this as you tell it when to change with the paddles, but not so sure now. I know it is a bit gimmicky but still quite fancy it as opposed to a standard auto box, think its the F1 driver in me :)

I like the DSG for everyday driving its great, If I wanted a performance car I wouldn't have an A3. The only thing I don't like is whats been pointed out, and thats the DSG changing up for you even when you have it knocked in manual mode. Mines an 05 car and as far as i'm aware it doesn't blip the throttle on downshifts. You can retro fir the paddle shift wheel on the Golf/Jetta on spec it as an option if buying new.

Mines an 05 car and as far as i'm aware it doesn't blip the throttle on downshifts.

That's weird, because mine definitely did.:uhm:
Maybe David can clarify, he's our resident DSG expert.

Below is an extract from the DSG 'blurb', applicable to all models.

The electronic-control throttle blip feature of the manual and S modes reinforces the impression of ultra-dynamic gearshifts.

The DSG delay is when you remove your foot from the brake, it takes a slight pause whilst the electro-mechanical clutch engages the drive.

I would definately (like others have said) book an extended test drive with one, I would also recommend that you ensure that it is the same Engine that you intend to order. Also make sure that you take in as many different driving conditions that you can.

You do get used to the slight delay in take off, and adjust your driving style to suit.

Personally I love it. Marmite anyone LOL :yahoo:

Paul

You can retro fir the paddle shift wheel on the Golf/Jetta on spec it as an option if buying new.

Mmm didn't know that. Would probably be 2nd hand buy so looks like the A3 would be my choice if I opt for the DSG. Does it actually feel like any other auto box, or is there something special about it, as I've heard people rave about how good it is.

Mmm didn't know that. Would probably be 2nd hand buy so looks like the A3 would be my choice if I opt for the DSG. Does it actually feel like any other auto box, or is there something special about it, as I've heard people rave about how good it is.

In 'D', it's like any other auto box.
Some owners just like the fact they can play at being Hamilton.:racer:
Provided you don't want to rev the car like Hamilton, or it will slap your wrists and take over.

Audi themselves decided against putting it in the S3, as they didn't think it would suit that type of driver.
An admission, if ever there was one, that it is not suited to spirited driving.

Some love it, it only took a few weeks of ownership to tell me I'd made a big mistake.:keule:

I used to call it the Distinctly Shit Gearbox.:blush:

In 'D', it's like any other auto box.
Some owners just like the fact they can play at being Hamilton.:racer:
Provided you don't want to rev the car like Hamilton, or it will slap your wrists and take over.

Audi themselves decided against putting it in the S3, as they didn't think it would suit that type of driver.

Some love it, it only took a few weeks of ownership to tell me I'd made a big mistake.:keule:

I used to call it the Distinctly Shit Gearbox.:blush:

Agree with every word. Couldn't wait to get shut of it and never wish I had it now. Horses for courses though ..... you may drive differently to me.

Mmmmm think I'll get a test drive from my friendly Audi dealer to see how it feels, when I find a friendly one that is :)

:hi:
I think the S-Tronic is great, have ordered it on my new Cabrio but then I am biased as I have not owned a manual for over thirty years & I have no desire to own one in the future. Using the paddles to change up & down is virtualy instant at least it was on my last A3, but if you want a bit more fun stick it in sports mode & use the paddles.:kissmyrings:

but if you want a bit more fun stick it in sports mode & use the paddles.:kissmyrings:

Sorry to be a pedant, but they're seperate things.
Sports mode is still an auto mode.
You can use the paddles in this mode, but it will default back to auto mode when you don't use the paddles for a while.
Proper 'manual' mode is when you slide the gearstick over to the left, where the +/- signs are.
That way, it will stay in manual mode and will not default back to auto, no matter how long you ignore the paddles.

YOu need to change the wheel and the steering wheel ECU and then VAG com it, look on UKMKIV forum, I hardly use my paddles at all. If you like autos then you will like the DSG if you get stuck in traffic then they are good. Most Audi dealers will give you a car for a while, my dealer gave me one for a day.

I also love the DSG on mine...but it depends on what you want from the car,if you drive enthusiastically all the time then stick to a manual, the DSG is purely a good auto box, it certainly is NOT a racing gearbox! I think its very good as an auto with the option to play with the paddles if you like (I very rarely use them). Mine does blip the throttle on downchanges and if you are in `semi` then it will over ride me at 6600rpm. The only time I really use the paddles is to hold a gear so to speak when stonking into round abouts eg dual cariageways etc,when you are aware that it will take over at a certain rev range then you get used to it-well I have anyway.
The point is that this gearbox is a very personal thing-so make sure that you have a proper long test drive, if like me you just want a good auto then you will like it-if you think thet its going to be a like a sports car\supercar then forget it.
Goodluck with the car hunt :thumbsup:

SO the 3.2 holds onto the revs ... I had heard that on the votex forum, apparently not all 3.2's do that, Audi changed the gearbox ECU at some point.

YOu need to change the wheel and the steering wheel ECU and then VAG com it, look on UKMKIV forum, I hardly use my paddles at all. If you like autos then you will like the DSG if you get stuck in traffic then they are good. Most Audi dealers will give you a car for a while, my dealer gave me one for a day.

Thanks Steve, I'm a member over on UK-MKIVS so will have a look, but think I prefer the A3, especially if its already installed, save farting about retrofitting. Might see if I can blag an A3 DSG for a day then from my dealer, hopefully a nice Ibis white S-Line :)

I also love the DSG on mine...but it depends on what you want from the car,if you drive enthusiastically all the time then stick to a manual, the DSG is purely a good auto box, it certainly is NOT a racing gearbox! I think its very good as an auto with the option to play with the paddles if you like (I very rarely use them). Mine does blip the throttle on downchanges and if you are in `semi` then it will over ride me at 6600rpm. The only time I really use the paddles is to hold a gear so to speak when stonking into round abouts eg dual cariageways etc,when you are aware that it will take over at a certain rev range then you get used to it-well I have anyway.
The point is that this gearbox is a very personal thing-so make sure that you have a proper long test drive, if like me you just want a good auto then you will like it-if you think thet its going to be a like a sports car\supercar then forget it.
Goodluck with the car hunt :thumbsup:

I very rarely drive "enthusiastically", but just fancy the idea of having the paddles to change with so I have some control over it. Thanks for the advice, already been looking on Autotrader this afternoon at some.

Why's that you know something about the car? Its overpriced IMO compared to some others I've seen, also doesn't appear to have S-Line front bumper.

Yeah, it's my old bucket of crap.:whistle2:
Yes, they're asking way too much for it.
They were asking £3k more than that, until last week.
It is a proper S-line though, dunno what you mean about the bumper.

Yeah, it's my old bucket of crap.:whistle2:
Yes, they're asking way too much for it.
They were asking £3k more than that, until last week.
It is a proper S-line though, dunno what you mean about the bumper.

They were originally wanting £18k????? :faint:

Thought the S-Line bumper was deeper and more agressive looking round about the fogs like below?

dsc00059ot9.jpg

that def aint no s-line got the wrong front and rear bumpers and not got the right roof spolier, it has just been badged up s-line by the previous owners i reckon....

and it way over priced too......

SO the 3.2 holds onto the revs ... I had heard that on the votex forum, apparently not all 3.2's do that, Audi changed the gearbox ECU at some point.

Mine will rev to 6600rpm and then it will change for me, not sure what the deal is, looks like they are all giving us differant revs where they take over-mine is getting pretty old now aswell being a 2004:whistle2:...seems to be the same range at which it does it weather in `D` or `S` or manual its the same speed?:search:
Maybe 3.2Ju can shed some light on how his behaves...think its a similar age, maybe newer?:thumbsup:

that def aint no s-line got the wrong front and rear bumpers and not got the right roof spolier, it has just been badged up s-line by the previous owners i reckon....

and it way over priced too......

Look, I bought it from new.
It is a proper S-line, 100% correct S-line spec for an '05 Sportback.
Audi changed the S-line spec a few times, over the years.
I well remember a few people getting peeved by the roof spoiler/no roof spoiler thing.

I well remember a few people getting peeved by the roof spoiler/no roof spoiler thing.

hehehehehe as pointed out by the man himself, he actually owned the car :) the rear spoiler was an option on the S Line at some point in its life.

That's weird, because mine definitely did.:uhm:
Maybe David can clarify, he's our resident DSG expert.

Below is an extract from the DSG 'blurb', applicable to all models.

The electronic-control throttle blip feature of the manual and S modes reinforces the impression of ultra-dynamic gearshifts.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I been using my A3/DSG on the autobahns in Germany and the mountain roads and passes in Switzerland for the last two weeks. Quite a contrast in speed!!

Yes the DSG does blip the throttle as you change down, both if it decides on the down-change itself and if you decide using the lever or paddles. It is very quick so you do have to listen for it.

My DSG was great over the last two week. The roads on some of the smaller passes such as the Albula Pass are quite narrow with very tight corners and hair-pin bends. I usually you the paddles most of the time but on the passes I just left it in 'D' and let it sort itself out and it so on every occasion with no drama at all.

ok ok..... guess you would know then chap..........ha ha ha

This is from an article about the 'new S3' in this month's Audi Driver magazine...

The other major change, yet to be introduced, is the availability of the S-tronic transmission for the S3. When the second series S3 was launched, we were told that the marketing arm of Audi AG had decided that, in order to reinforce its sporting character, it would only be available with a manual gearbox. We suspect, though, that the reasoning was more to do with the torque handing capacity of the S-tronic at the time. Later this year. around October, however, S-tronic will be available as an option for the S3 and we are sure that it will become a very popular choice.

Be interesting to see if they allow DSG to rev out on an S3.
If I found it infuriating in a diesel, S3 owners are going to go mental.

Be interesting to see if they allow DSG to rev out on an S3.
If I found it infuriating in a diesel, S3 owners are going to go mental.

Can't see it myself - I'm no expert but wouldn't that involve hardware changes (which they won't do) rather than just an ECU change (which they probably would do) ?

Can't see it myself - I'm no expert but wouldn't that involve hardware changes (which they won't do) rather than just an ECU change (which they probably would do) ?

Can't see why it would need hardware changes. Surely all it needs is a adjustment to the software to say do not change up at maximum revs.

Personally I hope they leave the set-up as it is for other A3s even if they do change it for the S3. With a diesel maximum revs in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd come up so quickly when you accelerate hard that it's nice to have the box change up automatically even if you are in 'manual'. I could happily accept it not changing up in say 4th or 5th but not in the lower gears.

I agree, it can't be a hardware thing.
The hardware is the box itself.
The box just does what it's told by the software.