EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: A3 DSG's

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39

    A3 DSG's

    Quite fancy an automatic for my next car and wondering if all A3's with a DSG box have the steering wheel flappy paddles? Been looking at Mk5 Golf's and Jetta's but only appears that the paddles are available on the GTi and R32. Quite fancy having the paddles so its not a boring drive letting the box do all the changing for me.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Yes, all A3s with the S-tronic (DSG) have the steering wheel paddles.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thanks Dave, looks like my next car may well be an A3 if I stick with my auto choice.

  5. #4
    cliveywolves's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Thanks Dave, looks like my next car may well be an A3 if I stick with my auto choice.
    hi mate...

    Dave did say all S-Tronic DSG , not all cars have S-Tronic DSG just watch out when buying your A3...
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

  6. #5
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Quite fancy having the paddles so its not a boring drive letting the box do all the changing for me.
    Be aware, DSG (or S-tronic, whatever it's called these days) will always change for you.
    Yes, you can play with the paddle between certain revs.
    But go too low, or too high, and the box will take over.
    Whilst this is understandable with low revs (they don't want you to stall, after all), it is not so understandable at high revs.
    The driver of a manual Audi can please himself if/when he should change up.
    But a DSG driver isn't allowed to.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  7. #6
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Be aware, DSG (or S-tronic, whatever it's called these days) will always change for you.
    To the extent that you give up on it and just leave it in auto anyway as it amounts to the same thing ..... DSG was the MAIN reason for me swapping my old A3. I'd recommend a very extended test drive of a car with DSG if you in any way like the thrill of driving a car.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thought it might change automatically if revs too low like you say, but thought at high revs would hold gear till you flip paddle. Can you also "blip" it on downshift with paddle? I know its not a Ferrari, but would still like the odd bit of fun with it.

  9. #8
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    I had the DSG (before it was renamed S-Tronic) and there is NO way you can blip on downshifts. Nor does it do it for you. I had the 3.2 V6 and it would change up for me at about 6,200 revs no matter what was happening (i.e. mid corner !!). Its great for a commute or a lazy drive but if you want fun steer clear .....
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  10. #9
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Thought it might change automatically if revs too low like you say, but thought at high revs would hold gear till you flip paddle. Can you also "blip" it on downshift with paddle? I know its not a Ferrari, but would still like the odd bit of fun with it.
    No, it won't hold the gear.
    As soon as you let the revs get high, it will change up for you.
    You cannot blip for downchanges, but the car does do it for you.
    I don't know why Iggu says his didn't, because mine certainly did.
    It's a bit pointless on a diesel though, as the engine is too slow revving.
    Just a bit of a gimmick, on them.

    Also, be aware of 'DSG delay'.
    There is a small, but tangible, delay between pressing the throttle and something happening.
    Especially noticeable at junctions, where trying to 'nip out' can lead to some hairy moments.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  11. #10
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    I don't know why Iggu says his didn't, because mine certainly did.
    Big A - this could be very relevant for you. Bowfer's was an 05 plate. My DSG was a very early 04 plate (DSG was just introduced when I ordered it). It definitely provided no blip on downshifts.

    I think I've seen on another thread marriedblonde referring to a change to the DSG software at some point which might explain this.

    Watch out for the year/date of the A3 you're looking at perhaps ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thanks guys. One of the guys in my office is trading in his 3.2 V6 TT and ordered himself a new TT TDi DSG so will see what his is like when he eventually gets it. Seems like everyone in my work is getting a new Audi recently, my boss picked up his A6 TDi last week and my other boss gets his A4 TDi in September.

    The delay you talk about is something I had thought about, but with all automatics in general, just as to how quick it knows you want to go, i.e. when pulling out a junction sharply or overtaking, thought the DSG might combat this as you tell it when to change with the paddles, but not so sure now. I know it is a bit gimmicky but still quite fancy it as opposed to a standard auto box, think its the F1 driver in me
    Last edited by Big A; 30th June 2008 at 14:07.

  13. #12
    SteveTDCi's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,384
    I like the DSG for everyday driving its great, If I wanted a performance car I wouldn't have an A3. The only thing I don't like is whats been pointed out, and thats the DSG changing up for you even when you have it knocked in manual mode. Mines an 05 car and as far as i'm aware it doesn't blip the throttle on downshifts. You can retro fir the paddle shift wheel on the Golf/Jetta on spec it as an option if buying new.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

    Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

  14. #13
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    Mines an 05 car and as far as i'm aware it doesn't blip the throttle on downshifts.
    That's weird, because mine definitely did.
    Maybe David can clarify, he's our resident DSG expert.

    Below is an extract from the DSG 'blurb', applicable to all models.

    The electronic-control throttle blip feature of the manual and S modes reinforces the impression of ultra-dynamic gearshifts.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 30th June 2008 at 14:19.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  15. #14
    Gti Jazz Blue's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,654
    The DSG delay is when you remove your foot from the brake, it takes a slight pause whilst the electro-mechanical clutch engages the drive.

    I would definately (like others have said) book an extended test drive with one, I would also recommend that you ensure that it is the same Engine that you intend to order. Also make sure that you take in as many different driving conditions that you can.

    You do get used to the slight delay in take off, and adjust your driving style to suit.

    Personally I love it. Marmite anyone LOL

    Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

    VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    You can retro fir the paddle shift wheel on the Golf/Jetta on spec it as an option if buying new.
    Mmm didn't know that. Would probably be 2nd hand buy so looks like the A3 would be my choice if I opt for the DSG. Does it actually feel like any other auto box, or is there something special about it, as I've heard people rave about how good it is.

  17. #16
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Mmm didn't know that. Would probably be 2nd hand buy so looks like the A3 would be my choice if I opt for the DSG. Does it actually feel like any other auto box, or is there something special about it, as I've heard people rave about how good it is.
    In 'D', it's like any other auto box.
    Some owners just like the fact they can play at being Hamilton.
    Provided you don't want to rev the car like Hamilton, or it will slap your wrists and take over.

    Audi themselves decided against putting it in the S3, as they didn't think it would suit that type of driver.
    An admission, if ever there was one, that it is not suited to spirited driving.

    Some love it, it only took a few weeks of ownership to tell me I'd made a big mistake.

    I used to call it the Distinctly Shit Gearbox.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 30th June 2008 at 14:36.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  18. #17
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    In 'D', it's like any other auto box.
    Some owners just like the fact they can play at being Hamilton.
    Provided you don't want to rev the car like Hamilton, or it will slap your wrists and take over.

    Audi themselves decided against putting it in the S3, as they didn't think it would suit that type of driver.
    An admission, if ever there was one, that it is not suited to spirited driving.

    Some love it, it only took a few weeks of ownership to tell me I'd made a big mistake.

    I used to call it the Distinctly Shit Gearbox.
    Agree with every word. Couldn't wait to get shut of it and never wish I had it now. Horses for courses though ..... you may drive differently to me.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Mmmmm think I'll get a test drive from my friendly Audi dealer to see how it feels, when I find a friendly one that is

  20. #19
    royjk's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    167

    I think the S-Tronic is great, have ordered it on my new Cabrio but then I am biased as I have not owned a manual for over thirty years & I have no desire to own one in the future. Using the paddles to change up & down is virtualy instant at least it was on my last A3, but if you want a bit more fun stick it in sports mode & use the paddles.

  21. #20
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by royjk View Post
    but if you want a bit more fun stick it in sports mode & use the paddles.
    Sorry to be a pedant, but they're seperate things.
    Sports mode is still an auto mode.
    You can use the paddles in this mode, but it will default back to auto mode when you don't use the paddles for a while.
    Proper 'manual' mode is when you slide the gearstick over to the left, where the +/- signs are.
    That way, it will stay in manual mode and will not default back to auto, no matter how long you ignore the paddles.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  22. #21
    SteveTDCi's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Mmm didn't know that. Would probably be 2nd hand buy so looks like the A3 would be my choice if I opt for the DSG. Does it actually feel like any other auto box, or is there something special about it, as I've heard people rave about how good it is.
    YOu need to change the wheel and the steering wheel ECU and then VAG com it, look on UKMKIV forum, I hardly use my paddles at all. If you like autos then you will like the DSG if you get stuck in traffic then they are good. Most Audi dealers will give you a car for a while, my dealer gave me one for a day.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

    Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

  23. #22
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    437
    I also love the DSG on mine...but it depends on what you want from the car,if you drive enthusiastically all the time then stick to a manual, the DSG is purely a good auto box, it certainly is NOT a racing gearbox! I think its very good as an auto with the option to play with the paddles if you like (I very rarely use them). Mine does blip the throttle on downchanges and if you are in `semi` then it will over ride me at 6600rpm. The only time I really use the paddles is to hold a gear so to speak when stonking into round abouts eg dual cariageways etc,when you are aware that it will take over at a certain rev range then you get used to it-well I have anyway.
    The point is that this gearbox is a very personal thing-so make sure that you have a proper long test drive, if like me you just want a good auto then you will like it-if you think thet its going to be a like a sports car\supercar then forget it.
    Goodluck with the car hunt
    A3 3.2 Q SPORT DSG Now...Edition 30 Golf GTI

  24. #23
    SteveTDCi's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,384
    SO the 3.2 holds onto the revs ... I had heard that on the votex forum, apparently not all 3.2's do that, Audi changed the gearbox ECU at some point.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

    Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

  25. #24
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    YOu need to change the wheel and the steering wheel ECU and then VAG com it, look on UKMKIV forum, I hardly use my paddles at all. If you like autos then you will like the DSG if you get stuck in traffic then they are good. Most Audi dealers will give you a car for a while, my dealer gave me one for a day.
    Thanks Steve, I'm a member over on UK-MKIVS so will have a look, but think I prefer the A3, especially if its already installed, save farting about retrofitting. Might see if I can blag an A3 DSG for a day then from my dealer, hopefully a nice Ibis white S-Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes G View Post
    I also love the DSG on mine...but it depends on what you want from the car,if you drive enthusiastically all the time then stick to a manual, the DSG is purely a good auto box, it certainly is NOT a racing gearbox! I think its very good as an auto with the option to play with the paddles if you like (I very rarely use them). Mine does blip the throttle on downchanges and if you are in `semi` then it will over ride me at 6600rpm. The only time I really use the paddles is to hold a gear so to speak when stonking into round abouts eg dual cariageways etc,when you are aware that it will take over at a certain rev range then you get used to it-well I have anyway.
    The point is that this gearbox is a very personal thing-so make sure that you have a proper long test drive, if like me you just want a good auto then you will like it-if you think thet its going to be a like a sports car\supercar then forget it.
    Goodluck with the car hunt
    I very rarely drive "enthusiastically", but just fancy the idea of having the paddles to change with so I have some control over it. Thanks for the advice, already been looking on Autotrader this afternoon at some.

  26. #25
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Avoid this bucket of crap, for god's sake.


    http://www.arnoldclark.com/detail.ht...sr=0&$ac_pp=10
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  27. #26
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Avoid this bucket of crap, for god's sake.


    http://www.arnoldclark.com/detail.ht...sr=0&$ac_pp=10
    Why's that you know something about the car? Its overpriced IMO compared to some others I've seen, also doesn't appear to have S-Line front bumper.

  28. #27
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,721
    Last edited by mitch78; 15th March 2009 at 23:56.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  29. #28
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Why's that you know something about the car? Its overpriced IMO compared to some others I've seen, also doesn't appear to have S-Line front bumper.
    Yeah, it's my old bucket of crap.
    Yes, they're asking way too much for it.
    They were asking 3k more than that, until last week.
    It is a proper S-line though, dunno what you mean about the bumper.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  30. #29
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Yeah, it's my old bucket of crap.
    Yes, they're asking way too much for it.
    They were asking 3k more than that, until last week.
    It is a proper S-line though, dunno what you mean about the bumper.
    They were originally wanting 18k?????

    Thought the S-Line bumper was deeper and more agressive looking round about the fogs like below?


  31. #30
    cliveywolves's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    229
    that def aint no s-line got the wrong front and rear bumpers and not got the right roof spolier, it has just been badged up s-line by the previous owners i reckon....

    and it way over priced too......
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

  32. #31
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    SO the 3.2 holds onto the revs ... I had heard that on the votex forum, apparently not all 3.2's do that, Audi changed the gearbox ECU at some point.
    Mine will rev to 6600rpm and then it will change for me, not sure what the deal is, looks like they are all giving us differant revs where they take over-mine is getting pretty old now aswell being a 2004...seems to be the same range at which it does it weather in `D` or `S` or manual its the same speed?
    Maybe 3.2Ju can shed some light on how his behaves...think its a similar age, maybe newer?
    A3 3.2 Q SPORT DSG Now...Edition 30 Golf GTI

  33. #32
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
    that def aint no s-line got the wrong front and rear bumpers and not got the right roof spolier, it has just been badged up s-line by the previous owners i reckon....

    and it way over priced too......
    Look, I bought it from new.
    It is a proper S-line, 100% correct S-line spec for an '05 Sportback.
    Audi changed the S-line spec a few times, over the years.
    I well remember a few people getting peeved by the roof spoiler/no roof spoiler thing.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 30th June 2008 at 17:32.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  34. #33
    SteveTDCi's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincs
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Look, I bought it from new.
    It is a proper S-line, 100% correct S-line spec for an '05 Sportback.
    Audi changed the S-line spec a few times, over the years.
    I well remember a few people getting peeved by the roof spoiler/no roof spoiler thing.
    hehehehehe as pointed out by the man himself, he actually owned the car the rear spoiler was an option on the S Line at some point in its life.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

    Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

  35. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    That's weird, because mine definitely did.
    Maybe David can clarify, he's our resident DSG expert.

    Below is an extract from the DSG 'blurb', applicable to all models.

    The electronic-control throttle blip feature of the manual and S modes reinforces the impression of ultra-dynamic gearshifts.

    Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I been using my A3/DSG on the autobahns in Germany and the mountain roads and passes in Switzerland for the last two weeks. Quite a contrast in speed!!

    Yes the DSG does blip the throttle as you change down, both if it decides on the down-change itself and if you decide using the lever or paddles. It is very quick so you do have to listen for it.

    My DSG was great over the last two week. The roads on some of the smaller passes such as the Albula Pass are quite narrow with very tight corners and hair-pin bends. I usually you the paddles most of the time but on the passes I just left it in 'D' and let it sort itself out and it so on every occasion with no drama at all.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  36. #35
    cliveywolves's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Look, I bought it from new.
    It is a proper S-line, 100% correct S-line spec for an '05 Sportback.
    Audi changed the S-line spec a few times, over the years.
    I well remember a few people getting peeved by the roof spoiler/no roof spoiler thing.
    ok ok..... guess you would know then chap..........ha ha ha
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

  37. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Audi themselves decided against putting it in the S3, as they didn't think it would suit that type of driver.
    An admission, if ever there was one, that it is not suited to spirited driving.
    This is from an article about the 'new S3' in this month's Audi Driver magazine...

    The other major change, yet to be introduced, is the availability of the S-tronic transmission for the S3. When the second series S3 was launched, we were told that the marketing arm of Audi AG had decided that, in order to reinforce its sporting character, it would only be available with a manual gearbox. We suspect, though, that the reasoning was more to do with the torque handing capacity of the S-tronic at the time. Later this year. around October, however, S-tronic will be available as an option for the S3 and we are sure that it will become a very popular choice.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  38. #37
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Be interesting to see if they allow DSG to rev out on an S3.
    If I found it infuriating in a diesel, S3 owners are going to go mental.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  39. #38
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    Be interesting to see if they allow DSG to rev out on an S3.
    If I found it infuriating in a diesel, S3 owners are going to go mental.
    Can't see it myself - I'm no expert but wouldn't that involve hardware changes (which they won't do) rather than just an ECU change (which they probably would do) ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  40. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Can't see it myself - I'm no expert but wouldn't that involve hardware changes (which they won't do) rather than just an ECU change (which they probably would do) ?
    Can't see why it would need hardware changes. Surely all it needs is a adjustment to the software to say do not change up at maximum revs.

    Personally I hope they leave the set-up as it is for other A3s even if they do change it for the S3. With a diesel maximum revs in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd come up so quickly when you accelerate hard that it's nice to have the box change up automatically even if you are in 'manual'. I could happily accept it not changing up in say 4th or 5th but not in the lower gears.
    Last edited by h5djr; 2nd July 2008 at 16:08.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  41. #40
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I agree, it can't be a hardware thing.
    The hardware is the box itself.
    The box just does what it's told by the software.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO