Stereo removal, couple of Q's

L

L60N

Hi Guys,

I put the Audi keys into my stereo which were lent, kindly by Lee (Mitch78)

Anyway, I cant pull the buggers out! Is there a knack to it as currently my fingers are red raw from trying to tug them out with brute force and ignorance :sob:

One more thing; the unit that was shipped from the factory - I cant find a security code for it in my likkle pack. Is there a way to retrieve the key? Do they come from the factory with a security code? I dont want to power it down until im sure i can fire it back up again in the future!

Many thanks guys.

Leon

When you have the unit out of the dash just push in on the springy clippy things - two on each side for a double din unit. If you pull out on the key at the same time it should just pop out.

Your unit won't require the security code as long as you plug it back into the same car. They should come from the factory with a security code - should be on the inside cover of the radio manual. Failing that, a trip to your dealer to have them hook up their computer to the car will allow them to retrieve the code from the central Audi database. VAGCOM won't do it for you, so it will need a trip to the dealer.

Have you managed it yet or do you need some help?

The Stereo hasnt landed yet mate, i was just curious and decided to pull my stereo out, turned into a bit of a nightmare :haha:

Got the keys out now though (Cheers Marc) :blush:

The Stereo hasnt landed yet mate, i was just curious and decided to pull my stereo out, turned into a bit of a nightmare :haha:

Got the keys out now though (Cheers Marc) :blush:

L6ON:haha: I can see you puzzling over those keys now!!

It can sometimes be tricky getting stereo's out even with corrects keys, least the comment about code now make sense to me, as my mate blew a fuse in his when trying to replace his failed amp with a better one and he didnt need the code.

as mentioned, press the clips in with your fingers from the side and gentle pull the keys out. There are a few keys that fit and the afermarket ones are a bit more general, The proper Vag ones work much better.
Somebody gave me a radio pin prog for the pc.. dont ask me to send it on!, but if you send me your serial number, i can enter it and see what pops out...

as mentioned, press the clips in with your fingers from the side and gentle pull the keys out. There are a few keys that fit and the afermarket ones are a bit more general, The proper Vag ones work much better.
Somebody gave me a radio pin prog for the pc.. dont ask me to send it on!, but if you send me your serial number, i can enter it and see what pops out...

Thanks mate, but I found the pin, as Marc said, its on the inside cover of the manual :)

I needed to take my radio (Concert III) out a few weeks ago in connection with hard wiring a connection for my new TomTom cradle. I already have some radio keys somewhere but do you think I could find them. Anyway I called into Halfords and purchased some more, but do you think I could get it out. The keys went in OK but the radio was a tight fit and the keys just pulled out.

In the end I called in to my dealers and asked if there was any chance of the taking it out for me. No problem - a technician got a set of the proper Audi keys and it came out straight away. No charge either!

Anybody in need of their own keys?

£12.95 from VAGParts (https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=15486a7943c5691/shopdata/0080_Sat+Nav+parts+-+CD+changers+-+cruise+stalks+-+leads+-+fuses/0027_Manuals+and+tools/product_details.shopscript?article=0010_Tool%2BT10057%2BAudi%2Bradio%2Bremoval%2B%3D28T10057%3D29)

sat_keys_300x185.jpg

set of 4 from Audi Chesterfield are £8.14 if anyones interested, but as h5djr said he'd done it, I decided to call Audi Sheff and ask them to take it out.

Called them up... said their parts deptartment had none in stock so could they just whip the stereo out? Service guy didnt know if they could, so he had to go ask the tech! Anyway, he came back and said, no problem just bring it down. SO...will do that after work as my RNS-E landed in record time (3 days from Lituania, result!).

Then I think a mini evening Yorkshire meet might be on the cards! ;)

Yeah, mine came from Lithuania too and arrived in three days, even though I ordered it on the Thursday night and the Friday was a bank holiday over there.

Has anyone figured out why the majority of RNS-e units (and Merc\BMW\VW) units on eBay are coming from Lithuania? Surely they can't all be stolen! Is that where they are made, or is there some sort of refurbishment facility there?

I looked into who manufactured the RNS-E recently and cant for the life of me remember the site I found that supposedly 'manufactured' the box..... dont think it was in Lituania tho....

Sounds good to me Kontraband!

I'd guess it's a refurb place. Mine came well packed and with the original german PIN code card. If all of them come with the card they can't be stolen, what are the chances of all the thieves managing to steal the card at the same time as the unit? A few might, but not all of them.

yeah, mine also comes with the code card sheet so I guess if you want to look to the dark side then they are nicking them and recreating a fake card?? Seems a bit excessive. The package it came in is actually all labelled up with the senders details etc etc, which I woulndt have thought they'd want to do if they were nicked?

Mitch have spoke to JohnS3 and hes up for an evening meet up, and I'm sure L6ON will be too. :)

Mine had the card too. Didn't think they'd be stolen, but it can't be a case of everybody in Lithuania buying their A3 with the RNS-e and then swapping them out for an aftermarket head unit and then losing a fortune selling it on.

Has anyone figured out why the majority of RNS-e units (and Merc\BMW\VW) units on eBay are coming from Lithuania? Surely they can't all be stolen! Is that where they are made, or is there some sort of refurbishment facility there?

I found 'The RNS-E is manufactured by Aisin Ltd. in Japan ' so that would rule out them being shifted direct from source. Still doesnt answer the Lithuania question tho.