Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

S3 after facelift 7-speed gearbox

I've just gotten info from my friend in Audi Poland he said that new S3 will have in option 7-speed twin clutch gearbox !!

have some of you have any info about it?
    2005 A3 2.0TDI S-line quattro
    2007 S3 silver 300Hp
    2008 S3 sportback SprintBlue: Bucket seats, magnetic ride, RNSE, BOSE, Bluetooth, Carbonspeed CAI, Forge BOV... SOLD
    2009 A4 3.0TDI Ibis white with some goodies
    2011 S5 Sportback Sepang Blue with Milltek Race Exhaust

2. # ADS
    ADS

Dreaming of Boost

Status
    That would be news I haven't seen. In April, Audi announced the changes to the line. The engines that are due to get the 7-speed dry-clutch DSG are the 1.6, the 1.4 TFSI and the 1.8 TFSI. So unless they are scrapping the 2.0t for the 1.8t I don't see it.

Here is the press release from Fourtitude about the updates to the A3 line-up.
    "Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still
    blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it....
    For that we need fine Machinery." -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

Stalled

Status
    It was stated that the new dry clutch DSG will be available on the S3 and higher powered A3 later in the year by Audi. The new dry clutch DSG can handle up to 400ft-lb of torque and 9k RPM but I am guessing they are still trying to fine tune the gearbox for the higher powered models.

Edit: It seems like Audi has 2 version of the 7speed DSG, the full on version I mentioned above and a more compact unit that can handle up to 250NM of torque. I am guessing the bigger unit is still not production ready.
    Last edited by mcc49; 28th June 2008 at 21:57.

Dreaming of Boost

Status

Not in an A3/S3!

Quote Originally Posted by mcc49 View Post
    It was stated that the new dry clutch DSG will be available on the S3 and higher powered A3 later in the year by Audi. The new dry clutch DSG can handle up to 400ft-lb of torque and 9k RPM but I am guessing they are still trying to fine tune the gearbox for the higher powered models.
    Are you talking about this 7-speed DSG? Yes it does have the power you speak of, but it is not dry clutch nor will it work in models with a transversely installed engines, like the A3! It is longitudinal only. Good news for the A4/A6 crowd but not the A3/S3 folks.
    "Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still
    blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it....

Stalled

Status
    oh my bad thanks for the correction! I swear I read somewhere that the DSG S3 will be launching later in the year.

Dreaming of Boost

Status
    oh my bad thanks for the correction! I swear I read somewhere that the DSG S3 will be launching later in the year.
    I can't seem to find anything that says that but I believe it to be true as well. Here in the U.S. we are getting a 2.0t DSG w/quattro, which is the first time that combo has been offered. No reason why they wouldn't put that in the S3. In fact that is the only way to get the TT-S over here as well.

1st Gear

Status
    I've just received sms from my friend who is jurnalist and he said that in Ingolstad they say this gearbox will be in S3, but they could'nt say if it will be this year.
    2005 A3 2.0TDI S-line quattro
    2007 S3 silver 300Hp
    2008 S3 sportback SprintBlue: Bucket seats, magnetic ride, RNSE, BOSE, Bluetooth, Carbonspeed CAI, Forge BOV... SOLD
    2009 A4 3.0TDI Ibis white with some goodies
    2011 S5 Sportback Sepang Blue with Milltek Race Exhaust

1st Gear

Status
    My dealer told me that the 7 spd STronic is for the lower power engines and that the S3 will get the 6 speed sTronic- my order is placed and due to be built week 45 which I understand is when the sTronic models will start to come off the line.
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster

5th Gear

Status
    I would say dont bother with it. DSG/S tronic ruins the TT-s and makes it really laggy under acceleration.. Really not suited to the turbo cars IMO.
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The911SC View Post
    I would say dont bother with it. DSG/S tronic ruins the TT-s and makes it really laggy under acceleration.. Really not suited to the turbo cars IMO.
    Here here!

Drove the TT-s last week and the gearbox ruined it for me.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    hi guys, i've ordered the facelifted S3...
    the stealers say that we should be getting DSG
    type here (South Africa) in 2009.

09' imola yellow S3...
    h&r spings, forge twintake, forge dv, frc software, autotech hpfp, 76mm dp + zorst, bbs ch 19's & defi boost gauge

Stalled

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    Here here!

Drove the TT-s last week and the gearbox ruined it for me.
    Reason why I would never buy an autobox/DSG, my left foot would get bored and you just cant beat the driving involvment when playing around with a manual stick shift and being able to choose the gear you want, not what the machine thinks is suitable. Yea you might get that fraction of a second faster 0-62s time but in everyday driving, would you honestly notice the difference?

windsurfer

Status
    I agree... I am the same... but I never say never.... I can only think driving a Ferrari with the F1 box should be amazing... but maybe it is a better box I don't know...

The best box for me would be a manual sequential box... but with forward to reduce and bacwards to go up a gear... I don't know why this option is not available as a manual...

Bikes have them for years...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks