Volks AutosBadger5
    GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Pressure Washers

Beware of these high-pressure washers. I have just noticed that the rubber seal on the left hand side of the windsreen is all torn and damaged due to a monkey operating a pressure washer. If it is doing that to the seals, what's it doing to the tyres? I will not be letting somebody use one of these things again on my car. Anybody have an idea about the cost of replacing the seal? Are they expensive? It's only the one that's damaged.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boydie
    Must be some pressure to damage the seals :S I use a power hose all the time to clean the car - I do not know how anyone doesnt clean their car thoroughly without one!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    Beware of these high-pressure washers. I have just noticed that the rubber seal on the left hand side of the windsreen is all torn and damaged due to a monkey operating a pressure washer. If it is doing that to the seals, what's it doing to the tyres? I will not be letting somebody use one of these things again on my car. Anybody have an idea about the cost of replacing the seal? Are they expensive? It's only the one that's damaged.
    i got a Karcher at home, in the handbook it does say do not spray directly at or onto tyres as will cause poss damage.........

Did you get a Albanian to clean your car for 3 as his cheap car wash !!!!!!!!
    2007 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 Tdi (170) DPF, S-Line,DSG S-Tronic, Akoyo Silver, 18"Alloys Audi RS4 Design, RNS-E 2007 TMC, Rear Parking Sensors,Bose Sound System,6 CD Changer,Black Leather Sport Seats,Auto Folding Mirrors,Tyre Pressure Sys,+ More....

Third Gear

Status
    You mean you don't wash your car yourself !!

I don't let anyone near mine, even the dealer, they are all muppets who will not care for your pride and joy as you would.

I use a Karcher to remove the rough, never use full pressure though and never get to close.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    I use pressure washer on mine since I got it (3yrs+) and i think it is safe.

TBH common sense is all it takes to make a safe washing with a pressure washer.

You do have to be careful on rubber and plastic parts of the car, step back and spray or just don't spray too long on them parts

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    Would never use a pressure washer on a car. If it's washed and cared for (polished) regularly, it's not necessary.

And NEVER let a dealer clean it!

4th Gear

Status
    I don't use a pressure washer either- far too dodgy to use on a car. Simply hose- and use good products- Collinite is your friend!!
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

Third Gear

Status
    Most of the detailers use them, PB recommend them so they can't be all bad.I only use it to get the surface grit off then wash with a mitt.
    Mark
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

In two minds

Status
    Always used a pressure washer, never had a problem
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

5th Gear

Status
    If you dont use a pressure washer before hand then there is a good chance you are going to cause damage to the paint by pushing grit around the car with your wash mitt.

Pressure washers are fine as long you dont hold it too close.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If you dont use a pressure washer before hand then there is a good chance you are going to cause damage to the paint by pushing grit around the car with your wash mitt.

Exactly !!

Mark

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

A good hose pipe will do the same job- My A3 is nearly 2 years old and barely has any swirls.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

Up the owls!

Status
    Used my pressure washer on the car for the first time today. I'd forgotton how good it gets flies off the paintwork, much better than using bug remover.

I think they are safe provided you dont get too close.
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

1st Gear

Status
    When I fitted parking sensors a couple of years ago there was a warning in the pack not to hit them with a pressure washer.......... Don't know about the factory fit ones

On Boost

Status
    Pressure washers can be good if there not to powerful , and don't get to close , i use mine 3 times per wash on different powers.

p

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983 View Post
    I don't use a pressure washer either- far too dodgy to use on a car. Simply hose- and use good products
    Hear hear.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sat1983 View Post
    A good hose pipe will do the same job- My A3 is nearly 2 years old and barely has any swirls.
    Hear hear, again.
    Good hose, good gun on the end.
    Hose the car first, to loosen the dirt, then wash it/polish with good products.
    No need for a power pressure for flies either.
    Wet them, leave them for a bit, hose them again, they float off.
    By the time I've washed the roof/doors, they've been softened enough to come off the nose/spoiler.

My pressure washer only ever gets used for patios/paths/driveways.
    Can't recall ever using it on any car, and I certainly wouldn't let one near my bike.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 30th June 2008 at 13:18.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3