A little advice/reassurance please.....

DeckedS3

Reaction score
Honest opinions please.... I know this is an Audi forum!
Well, last night someone drove my R32 away (sold, not stolen).... What’s more I’ve never heard it being driven away before and it sounded awesome!
Anyway, I’ve driven a few S3’s now and I do like them, nowhere near the power I’m used to but the MPG is better, the ride is smooth, the brakes are good and it’s a solid car!
The only problem I have is that all I’ve ever owned are Golf’s, the last one being a turbo’d R32. The S3 is basically the same as the Golf, just a bigger price tag, and to be honest, the inside isn’t that special.... Granted it’s nice, but it’s not, WOW! The seats are the best bit, an expensive option for some seats that don’t fold forward too well, aren’t electric, the bolsters wear and the backs look weird, but a necessity IMO. Other than the seats..... Not really a lot to shout about!
I’ve looked at nearly new 06 plate M3’s, some of the larder Audi’s and TT-S, some VW’s including the new R32, Mitsubishi’s, Subaru’s and The Seat Cupra. I’ve narrowed it down to 2.0T as hopefully that way I’m not going to need shares in Shell to keep it on the road.... lol, anything would be better than my R, even the new RS6! But I’d like to be able to drive past a petrol station for once, rather than having to fill up every time.
To be honest I’ve basically decided on the S3, it’s a chassis I’m comfortable with, the 2.0T is a good engine, it’s got the haldex system and I’ve pretty mush secured a good price for a new one, with the spec I want (only issue is the 3-4 month delivery time) but now I have the cash in my hand, £30+K for a little Audi, it’s a lot of dough..... Granted my mate has the new Cupra, my sister has a Gti, my dad has an ED30 and I think they are great but FWD.... I hate it! Is the S3 really worth the extra £££? I just need some reassurance before I sign on the dotted line!
Thanks
:beerchug:

Well your hardly going to get an un-biased view here are you!!!! lol

I am swapping my Corrado for a new S3 because its a new company car. In your position though I would also consider the Nissan 350Z which is a better drive than the S3 in my opinion.

At the end of the day, its your cash, and your decision, no matter what anyone else says!!

Out of all the other options you just mentioned only the M3 would make me change. BUT, you pretty much seem to not value the points that people would recommend over the other in the S3, so I'd say dont bother with it.

Sorry its not re-assurance. Just the way I read your post.

mind you, things always do seem expensive when you have the cash in your hand and you think what else you can buy with it. ;)

Your post reads as tho that cash is burning a holw in your pocket, that the 3-4month wait is gonna kill you :) and it probably will!! I know it nearly did me...

At the end of the day, nobody can tell you which is the way to go, some will say yah, some will say nah. Just go out again in one and make your decision. :)

With 30k in my hand, i'd be looking at the options in detail....

try a 135i, looks like it should be a great drive (shame about the horrendous looks).

If I was deciding again, It would be between an S3 and a 135i

Give all the cars your thinking about a good thrashing mate! That way you dont have any regrets.

Im gonna be selling my s3 so i can get a e46 m3, its just all about personla preference mate!

How can you say an Audi is not the special inside compared to Golf? They are like chalk and cheese. Brittle crap cheese in the case of the golf.

I'd love a mk5 R32 TT, How much is the HPA TT upgrade? and what sort of mpg did you get in the mk4?

Not being funny but why are you ordering new with 30k in hand, there are some great deals on 2nd user S3's from 25-30k with top specs like bucket seats etc etc that would cost way over 30k new, even with 10-20k on clock still in new condition, warranty etc etc, god knows why you would chuck 30k at a dealer in these times when you can buy stunning 2nd user cars for alot less especially with 30k cash, walking in with 30k cash is a damn good bargaining tool, lol.

Soooo true, the r32 feels and looks cheap, i hired one for a week and wasnt too impressed! Great sound though!

Thanks for the replies!
As it stands the M3's are off my list, dont want a 3.2 again, I did take the 135i out but I'm not keen on the new plastic/squashed interiors on the BM's, although the drive was good! Scoobies are poorly built, as with the Evo, although the interiors are better than they used to be... I also don't want to look like a t*t with some huge spoiler hanging off the boot that I could do my ironing on. Deep down i'm after a turbo, even though the S3 is so smooth it could be NA.
I think I need to take another S3 out, this time give it a real spank :whip:

Thanks for the replies!
As it stands the M3's are off my list, dont want a 3.2 again, I did take the 135i out but I'm not keen on the new plastic/squashed interiors on the BM's, although the drive was good! Scoobies are poorly built, as with the Evo, although the interiors are better than they used to be... I also don't want to look like a t*t with some huge spoiler hanging off the boot that I could do my ironing on. Deep down i'm after a turbo, even though the S3 is so smooth it could be NA.
I think I need to take another S3 out, this time give it a real spank :whip:

The S3 will feel really slow coming from a 550+bhp R32! But you can chip it to well over 300bhp which might help a little.

How can you say an Audi is not the special inside compared to Golf? They are like chalk and cheese. Brittle crap cheese in the case of the golf.

Yeah I second that, the golf interior is very poor in comparison to the audi's, its so bland & boring, even looked at the new scirocco & thats got the same interior as the golf, urrggghhh, what a waste of a nice looking car, I keep looking at other brand new cars & the one thing that keeps me in audi's corner is the interior, its one of the best around.

I was only running just under 400bhp, only had one turbo, but ranging from 8-12mpg it didn't go far, but where you did go, it was fun :superman:

The reason i'm after a new one.... basically because I like the new lights over the current... You may disagree but I like it. I'll be taking another out this weekend and I'll see what extras I can get out of them.....

You could do a retro on the newer lights & save yourself thousands, its only gonna be the addition of the led's I believe which is probably just linked in with 1 wire for on signal from switch/car, mirrors are also bigger or is it just the sportback, they all seem to be going down road of the touraeg/q7 size mirrors no??

Rear lights are nothing special & there are already people on here changing rear ones, but from what I can see they arent alot different except on the sportback.

Interior wise the row of buttons under the nav changed & few minor chromey trims around dials that can be bought from parts & put on yourself, but nothing really changed dramatically that would make me buy new.

But as I want the S3 sportback tip then I guess have to wait until next year for mine.

Yeah I second that, the golf interior is very poor in comparison to the audi's, its so bland & boring, even looked at the new scirocco & thats got the same interior as the golf, urrggghhh, what a waste of a nice looking car, I keep looking at other brand new cars & the one thing that keeps me in audi's corner is the interior, its one of the best around.
To some extent I agree with you, yes it better i'm not doubting that! But it's not got the WOW, as I said i'm going to go down to the dealer this weekend and take another out, this time give it some beans!

To some extent I agree with you, yes it better i'm not doubting that! But it's not got the WOW, as I said i'm going to go down to the dealer this weekend and take another out, this time give it some beans!

Certainly has more WOW than a golf IMHO but I would say with rns, fbmfsw, buckets, climate etc etc all the toys that for 25-30k you should easily have that would definitely sway you to S3, its just more refined & appealing, but again IMHO to ****** expensive, I never buy new anymore as its just a waste, I'm happy with a 2nd user with 10-20k & about 5k maybe more still in my pocket, couldnt care if someone else had the car before me, thats why I like valeters :haha:

Certainly has more WOW than a golf IMHO but I would say with rns, fbmfsw, buckets, climate etc etc all the toys that for 25-30k you should easily have that would definitely sway you to S3, its just more refined & appealing, but again IMHO to ****** expensive, I never buy new anymore as its just a waste, I'm happy with a 2nd user with 10-20k & about 5k maybe more still in my pocket, couldnt care if someone else had the car before me, thats why I like valeters :haha:

On a scale, yes it has more wow... But it's not a real WOW, I could live in this.... After all we are on an Audi forum :) Maybe I need a little more time poking around!
As it turns out my local dealer has matched my best quote and thrown in an extra + a sooner delivery (not guaranteed, but my order being replaced by one of the dealers unconfirmed orders) I can't complain! All looking
good. Roll on the weekend!
:beerchug:

Result & no its not a DB9 WOW but good enough for now huh fella, I've still got to wait for my new toy :sob:

Just make sure its the facelift version as stealers can be sneaky little feckers like that & then when you see its an older one they say oh well you can have it for this price :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Anyway keep us updated, amazing how they managed to come up with that all of a sudden huh, lol.

Result & no its not a DB9 WOW but good enough for now huh fella, I've still got to wait for my new toy :sob:

Just make sure its the facelift version as stealers can be sneaky little feckers like that & then when you see its an older one they say oh well you can have it for this price :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Anyway keep us updated, amazing how they managed to come up with that all of a sudden huh, lol.

It's definitely the facelift model, the order/delivery date may be one of these dealer ploys to get my deposit in his pocket... I’m not sure... But I’m chuffed with the offer!

The cars often arrive before the quoted dates, my TTS was supoposed to be Sept/oct when ordered in Feb but now arriving in the next 2 - 3 weeks just need to decide wether to take it or not as currently comparing it to the 335i Coupe.

I also had a GTI prior to moving to Audi but don't subscribe to the all other brands are crap theory, I found the MK5 interior to be a slight step down from the Mk4 but overall still good and ahead of most rivals. I followed an R32 last night, what a gorgeous sound.

I personally would also want the new model regardless of the minor changes its still the facelift and in this price bracket image is everything to the majority of us.

Enjoy when it arrives you have made a good choice and the looks etc of the S3 will grow on you

Spin

I completely agree with that. When I've posted similar comments I'd got the impression I was the only one that thought the Mk4 was better, glad to see I'm not alone!

Ok, the MK5 interior isnt as good as an AUDI but its still very good IMO.

Not sure I agree the MK4 was better however the RECARO leather I had in the MK4 was MUCH nicer than std Leather in the MK5.

Back on Topic - I had a similar dilemna on where to go next after the MK5 Golf.
I was looking for decent power so a fwd was out, although I love the ED30.
The big power rwd cars were M3 (over budget for a warrantied car), dont like 1 series looks.

Dismissed the Jap stuff for the same reasons as you.

So it was S3 or Mk5 R32 and for me the R325 prices were too close to the S3 to consider.
The S3 is a better looker too, AND (dare I say it) Im I tiny little bit of a badge whore and I liked the idea of the AUDI badge. OK, its shallow and a bit twattish but I bet Im not the only one.:sly:

Cheers
Paul