Retrofit Auto lights?

guffy

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if it would be possible to install auto headlights in my 2005 A3, I'm not too fussed about auto wipers but I do miss the autolights.

Would it simply be a case of buying the switch and wiring?

If yes, where does the wiring go to?

Thanks in advance.

You can enable the Scandinavian DRLs in VAGCOM - lights always on with the ignition. I've done this on my car instead of fitting the auto lights.

Somebody else may correct me, but I think you may just need to replace the switch.

What about the sensor that tells the lights to come on when it gets dark, is this on all A3's or would you need to fit that as well?

Cheers

Mark

If you wanted auto-lights you'd need to fit the light sensor as well as the switch along with a fair bit of wiring.

That confirms what I thought thanks for that, think I'll not bother as it will prob involve quite a bit of work!

Mark

Its certainly possible and has been done before on another forum but it wont be quick and painless sadly!

Yeah, just had a look at ETKA and it looks as if you need to install the "rain and day driviing lights sensor - 4E0 955 599 C" behind the rear view mirror too.

The auto light and rain sensing equiped cars have different windscreens too.

yep, its not that easy. The windscreen is different and the light sensor is in the rear view mirror. I have also heard of the auto dip mirror being retorfitted but that again requires the windscreen i think.

To be honest, i think there probably are better/easier retrofits.
I have the light and rain sensor pack on my car and whilst it is nice, it does tend to have you driving round with lights on (main beam) where you wouldnt normally.

DRL's though may be a lot easier to achieve..

***!! I'll bow out of this conversation now before I dig an even deeper hole!!

The simplest way to get DRLs is to do as I've done and enable the Scandinavian DRLs with VAG-COM.

I'm just about to finish a complete retro-fit install of the auto-lights and wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor and coming home lights functions on my 8P S3. I'm just waiting for the rain and day driving lights sensor from VAGparts. Should be here early part of next week.

It's been a lot of work and lots of research but hoping to do a write up soon once I've completed it and can confirm it works.

From what I've found out, this is what you need-

1. An auto dimming rear view mirror which also has a light sensor in it, along with a new windscreen as the fixing is completely different. I though I might have been able to buy just the fixing but couldn't. I managed to get a new windscreen fitted as an insurance claim with the larger fixing along with the sunband so I was happy.

2. The lights and rain sensor that also fits inside the fixing on the windscreen for the auto wipers (this is why you need the new fixing), its placed behind the windscreen with a gel pad and clipped in place.

3. Wiring loom. I got mine from Kufatec.de.

4. New light switch with the auto lights and coming home functions.

5. Some additional wiring that you will need to make up for the coming function to work.

6. VAGCOM to code the car.

Basically quite a bit. It turned into one of those "started so can't stop now missions" in the end.

Hope to get it all sorted out next week and will be able to advise if all is correct.

No its not a switch at all, there are several people that have already retrofitted the auto lights on audi's, I think maybe some on here & another site to look at is navplus.us, so do a search on the forums & I have personally seen all the info from start to finish, I just dont remember exactly where sorry, its not a quick fix does take time but the finished product is well worth it for sure.

I will try & hunt the links down for you later.

I think there's a better one out there somewhere if I remember rightly reading, scratching head to think where, but :thumbsup: to mitch for finding this one.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Looks a lot harder than I originally thought but I may still go through with it.

Also, thanks to mitch78 for finding that link.

I think there's a better one out there somewhere if I remember rightly reading, scratching head to think where, but :thumbsup: to mitch for finding this one.

I hope you remember where, I would love to read up more about this :yes:.

Thanks.

I'll try to find it fella & update thread if do.

Problem is, the guide on Navplus is A4 specific. There is no mention of the rain sensor and the wiring is completely different.

If anyone knows of a guide for the A3 that would be great.

But if you are going to do this you have some knowledge of working with wiring etc & should be able with a meter figure it out, its not that much different, does require some savvvy, its a start anyway