S3 Lap of the Nurburgring Nordschleife

Iggu

Reaction score
Just got back from the Ring yesterday having thrashed the S3 round it on Sunday. Thought some of you might like a look - I have the full lap videoed but this clip is limited to 5 mins. Even so you get to see a Lotus Elise that had crashed just in front of us (about two thirds of the way through this clip) and 2 insane Porsche GT3s (one an RS) which come flying past at the end - one of which crashed later in the day. Two bikers taken to hospital also - the Ring was in an angry mood.

Can you tell you (having driven a few different cars round it) that the S3 is a frighteningly capable car in what I see as the ultimate test of what a a car can/will do. Not much went past us (apart from the GT3s !!). Looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time at Prosport on Sunday.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/booth1042/?action=view&current=MOV00158.flv

Nice vid mate , what went past you before the two GT3's?

What was your best time?

p

Cant wait for my visit in September looks awesome and such a cost effective road trip as long as you don't crash that is!!

If you have any further footage bring it on Saturday as I'd love to take a look.

Spin

yeah, good stuff... nice overtaking on the camper van! ;)
What was that all about?

Good video!
Is the first car to pass you an M coupe with a big @ss wing on the back???
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the lap! :)

Nice vid mate , what went past you before the two GT3's?

What was your best time?

p

One of those old BMW Mk1 M Coupes (they look like bread vans). An M3 in a lighter, shorter shell.

Deliberately only timed one lap - which is the one we videod. Too risky trying to beat your times on that track IMO. It was 10min 34secs - that Elise crash with the marshal maybe cost us 10secs/15 secs and a biker later on held us up for maybe 5secs. Honest opinion - 10min 15secs. But if I've had a few beers - 9min 58secs !!

Cant wait for my visit in September looks awesome and such a cost effective road trip as long as you don't crash that is!!

If you have any further footage bring it on Saturday as I'd love to take a look.

Spin

Will bring it along on my iPod Saturday - along with some pics etc. You won't crash .....

yeah, good stuff... nice overtaking on the camper van! ;)
What was that all about?

Well they do call it "Public Lapping" but that seemed a bit extreme to me too !

Good video!
Is the first car to pass you an M coupe with a big @ss wing on the back???
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the lap! :)

Yeah some German bloke who must have done about 25 consecutive laps in it. I can barely breathe / stand up / talk / keep my bowels in order after just one lap.

I'm going to have to sort a trip out there... what did you do about insurance???

Nothing .... have had quotes in the past for £750 per day with a (wait for it) £7,000 excess. Obviously I didn't pursue that.

Technically the Nurburgring is a public toll road with a de-restricted speed limit like any other autobahn - it is NOT a track and public lapping is not a track day (hence the camper van). It is a genuine (albeit one way) route from the town of Nurburg to Adenau (about 8 miles and 5 miles on the way back) which everyday German folk pay to travel on daily. You sometimes even see coaches on there.

Insurance companies would therefore have to pay out as long as you had European cover ....

Interesting - I'm sure some insurance companies are quite specific about the ring though - must check mine!
£7k excess - sheeeesh someone is having a laugh!

I think if they can prove that you were "racing" they can refuse to pay, but otherwise since it is a public road you are covered by your standard policy (assuming it covers you for driving abroad) and should be able to claim it was an accident.

Camper vans and buses are permitted to use the "toll road" as long as they stick to the right hand side of the track the whole way round.

Technically the Nurburgring is a public toll road with a de-restricted speed limit like any other autobahn - it is NOT a track and public lapping is not a track day (hence the camper van). It is a genuine (albeit one way) route from the town of Nurburg to Adenau (about 8 miles and 5 miles on the way back) which everyday German folk pay to travel on daily. You sometimes even see coaches on there.

Is there an exit at Adenau? I have never seen one (I know there is an entrance). You'd have to pay the full price still if you only did half a lap. 19 euros for a few miles? I don't think so. Plus the drive from Nurburg to Adenau is great fun on its own, and shorter!

You should be able to get sub 10 minutes quite happily Iggu. I did in my 2.0TFSI (I not doing the old "I'm a better driver than yaaoouu" thing) but most of my driving skill came from having my mate in his chipped 8L S3 right up my **** trying to overtake me!

Camper vans and buses are permitted to use the "toll road" as long as they stick to the right hand side of the track the whole way round.

I don't think that's strictly true. Anyone can use the entire width of the track but it is an unwritten rule and also common courtesy to move to the right when someone comes up behind you. Also for safety's sake if you have a very slow vehicle you should stay to the right all the time as cars will come from nowhere.

I don't think that's strictly true. Anyone can use the entire width of the track but it is an unwritten rule and also common courtesy to move to the right when someone comes up behind you. Also for safety's sake if you have a very slow vehicle you should stay to the right all the time as cars will come from nowhere.

From the official Nurburgring site:
Bus tours along the Nordschleife

Touring the Nürburgring Nordschleife on a coach is a wonderful experience. By prior appointment buses can tour the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring with a guide on board in the scope of track-days.

Please register with the Nürburgring World of Adventure approx. 2 weeks before your visit on +49 (0) 2691 302-602 or at erlebnisweltnuerburgring.de.

When you arrive, please go to the Nürburgring World of Adventure main entrance (directly opposite the start/finish straight) and pay the entry price of € (4.00) per adult and € (2.00) per child as well as € (90.00) for the guided tour. A guide will then enter the bus and accompany you to the Nordschleife access point. The guide will discuss the track rules with you and entertain your guests during the tour with exciting stories and information on the Nordschleife, its heroes and legends.

Track rules for buses:

1. Keep to the right hand side (no cutting of corners)
2. Switch on hazard lights
3. No stopping
4. No reversing
5. Persons must not leave the vehicle
6. If possible, do not slow down on inclines (increase speed on approach)

Ah for buses doing tours yes I see, I was mainly refering to camper vans and other large vehicles just there trying to hammer it! lol

Is there an exit at Adenau? I have never seen one.

You should be able to get sub 10 minutes quite happily Iggu.

Yep - you can come off just after Breidscheid and before Ex Muhle at Adenau town. Just wink right on the bend and you exit no problem.

Have done 9.21 in this car on a previous visit last September (7 weeks after taking delivery !). Dunno why though - the Ring just seemed very unforgiving this time so I didn't want to push it. Lots of crashes/ambulance stops/etc.. Never been nervous there before (this was 5th trip) but my guardian angel seemed to be talking to me this time.

I went round the 'ring in my Army Landrover whilst on exercise in the area in the mid-80s - camouflage nets strapped on top! Got lots of odd looks from the people around the track. .....

Is there an exit at Adenau? I have never seen one (I know there is an entrance). You'd have to pay the full price still if you only did half a lap. 19 euros for a few miles? I don't think so. Plus the drive from Nurburg to Adenau is great fun on its own, and shorter!
Little known but useful fact - if you use the Adenau entrance and pay your 21 Euros (it's gone up) then you get the half lap to the start, then a full lap. So actually a much cheaper way of learning the second half of the circuit ;) You have to buy your tickets at the Adenau entrance/exit though.

You should be able to get sub 10 minutes quite happily Iggu. I did in my 2.0TFSI (I not doing the old "I'm a better driver than yaaoouu" thing) but most of my driving skill came from having my mate in his chipped 8L S3 right up my **** trying to overtake me!.
I agree - I was their last weekend and got a 10min 20secs in a 2.0TDi 140 (standard) and I am in no way a track master. Again though, that came from having a Mk2 Golf Gti 8v up my ****. I smoked him - literally! ;)

Little known but useful fact - if you use the Adenau entrance and pay your 21 Euros (it's gone up) then you get the half lap to the start, then a full lap. So actually a much cheaper way of learning the second half of the circuit ;) You have to buy your tickets at the Adenau entrance/exit though.

So what happens to your ticket? Does it just not subtract a (half) lap? I I had a 4 lap ticket could I start at Adenau 4 times and then 4 times from the main entrance?

Ok, there are only entry barriers at both entrances and a 'follow on' barrier at the main start. Neither of the exits require a ticket of any kind and there are no counters/barriers.

If you buy your ticket at Adenau entrance and go onto the track, you retain your ticket (even if it's just a 1 lap ticket) and it lets you through the 'follow on' barrier at the main start so that you can do the other half of your lap. Because there's no follow on barrier at the Adenau gate, you can carry on all the way round and come out of the main exit - 1.5 laps on from where you started! ;)

If I had a 4 lap ticket could I start at Adenau 4 times and then 4 times from the main entrance?

A 4 lap ticket bought/used from Adenau entrance would get you 4 full laps and 4 second half 'laps'. The ticket is to get through the barrier - not to do a lap, it will only let you through an entry barrier 4 times and the 'follow on' barrier if you started at Adenau.

The only 'downside' is that you have to leave the track at Nurburg and drive 5 miles down the road to start your next 1.5 laps.

One thing you should know though - cars are literally flying past the Adenau entrance, so don't be surprised if when you're accelerating up from 0-60 for the first corner, a Beemer or Porsche comes right up your trumpet doing 80+.

You're missing my question mate. When you buy a 4 lap ticket it is encoded into it that you have 4 laps. When you put it into the main entrance barrier it subtracts 1. If I were to put it in the barrier at Adenau does it just not take a lap off? What I saying is could I get a 4 lap ticket, go to Adenau, enter there, do 1.5 laps, go back to Adenau and do another 1.5 laps etc etc?

OR

Could I just keep doing half laps all day on the same 1 lap ticket!?

I'm planning to go for another trip soon that's why I ask.

Your first example mate is correct. a 4 lap ticket will get you 4 x 1.5 laps if you use the Adenau entrance.