Dirty Derv thoughts!

phantom

On Boost
Reaction score
I have a 2.0TDI A3 as a courtesy car i'm guessing it's a 170bhp model ( first time ive driven one )

In normal driving it feels faster than my S3 , i know it's all torque , but pulling away from lights it feels fast , putting your foot down in 6th on the M/way it feels just as fast as my S3, yeah i can wring the S3's neck and the'll be no contest , but day to day it's just as fast, it's a bit wobberly , but nothing a set of H&R's wouldn't sort out.

I could trade down ( have a nice chunk in the bank )

Cheaper insurance

More MPG ( even thoughi don't pay for fuel )

Not give a **** about where it's parked

Remap to 200bhp+

Help me get rid of these evil thoughts.......please!

p

Why would you "not give a **** where it's parked"?
Is a dented 170 door going to bug you less than a dented S3 door?
I could see your point if you were talking about an £800 runabout, but I don't get it for a £20K+ car.

I don't think you're alone in those thoughts although if you don't pay for fuel anyway i'd fail to see the point? Unless you really want the money in the bank and enjoy the feel of a diesel?

I think there is something wrong with your S3 mate!

Why would you "not give a **** where it's parked"?
Is a dented 170 door going to bug you less than a dented S3 door?
I could see your point if you were talking about an £800 runabout, but I don't get it for a £20K+ car.

If i was trading down , i wouldn't get a 20k A3 TDI anyway.

Maybe not give a **** was to strong , but not care as much , i'm not so much talking dints in the door , i'm talking more getting " tapped " on the head for my keys.

p

I can believe its as fast in day to day driving. You dont want to be driving the car hard all the time - I dont at least.

You would notice the difference if you used the car rarely and majority of miles where for outright enjoyment of driving but for day to day stuff it makes sense. Have to think to yourself how often you actually use your cars performance to justify if its worth it.

I'm just as concious about where I park my car as I would be if I had an S3. S-line still looks pretty nice, same styling process as the S3 over a boggo one - different bumpers to standard & 18 inch wheels.

I don't think so mate.

p

I was kidding, I've driven a few TDI's and the torque is effortless in the low revs, I'd say it's much more torquey low down than an S3 but above 3000 rpm the S3 feels like a rocket ship and TDI's start to become boring.

I much prefer the delivery of a petrol, but see what you think when you get back in the S3!

I think the torque is fooling you a little! Have you looked at the figures? I know they are nothing to go by in normal driving conditions but I cant see it being quicker to 60 an it will never handle as well unless you chuck a fair amount its way

Definetly the extra torque working its magic on you.
If you a lot of miles or even a lot of town miles I think the Diesel is the way to go but the S3 will always be more fun - I should know I've had 2 mapped 2.0tdi A3's to date.

They are excellent but not quite in the same league as the S3 when 'that' mood takes you....

Good to know there are really decent, sensible options out there though.

They are excellent but not quite in the same league as the S3 when 'that' mood takes you....

Therein lies the rub.
How often does 'that' mood take you, or how often do local conditions allow it.
Where I live, an S3 owner could happily boot it all over the place.
Where you live, maybe not.
I reckon a 170 would be at least as fast as an S3, 70% of the time.
But it'll cost a packet less to run.

Of course, a 170 isn't your only choice.
You could go for a 123D (207bhp) or a D3 (200bhp).:whistle2:

I love being able to keep up with petrol cars, knowing that they're paying more to have the same fun.:icon_thumright:

Had a bit of a play with an A3 2.0TDI (looked really nice with the black optics grill and phantom paint) we both crossed the roundabout at the same time and speed (about 15mph) and booted it once we got onto the straight (dual carrageway) and I was a bit worried up to about 40mph, he nearly managed to keep up!, after that I left him for dust obviously.

Had a bit of a play with an A3 2.0TDI (looked really nice with the black optics grill and phantom paint) we both crossed the roundabout at the same time and speed (about 15mph) and booted it once we got onto the straight (dual carrageway) and I was a bit worried up to about 40mph, he nearly managed to keep up!, after that I left him for dust obviously.

Thats what i'm saying........and your GIAC'd up too!

p

and of course a bit of moderate tuning to the tdi adds to the equation:

start with a cheaper pd140
a turbodynamics stage 2 turbo exchange is about £600,
fitting about £150
custom remap £400-500
decat custom downpipe about £150

thats about 360lb/ft and 235-240hp 2.0 tdi

next add a r32 front ARB for £70 and a rear neuspeed ARB for £250
?lower springs depending on which model you have £150
either k-mac camber plates £200 or morego bottom camber arms £500

and you can say goodbye to understeer and hello to full throttle roundabout trips

and still get 40-45mpg and run on bio or veg oil mix...at 60-90p/litre

Roadtax too.
170 is £145 a year.
S3 is £400 a year (?!?!)
Helluva saving.

I'm giving the impression of being a tightwad.
Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not.
But I don't like throwing away dosh either.
A roadtax saving of £255 a year would pay my bike insurance.

I'm fairly sure I will return to diesel over the next few years for the very reasons quoted but in the meantime I remain a petrolhead, whilst I can afford it I intend to enjoy it especially as the Wife won't let me near Bikes since the birth of our daughter, she said something have any car you want but no bikes so I can blame her for my buying frenzy over recent years, Bowfer at least you get the best of both worlds and understandably its difficult to be impressed by a petrol engine in a car when you have a bike.

S3 road tax will be £300 fro 2009, it's actually two bands down from the top. And I think the revised one is even lower (£250 ish) as they have reduced the CO2 from 217 to 199.

Wow, that`s just great!

Im guessing youve fallen on hard times P, otherwise what the hell are you thinking?? :notme:

Im guessing youve fallen on hard times P, otherwise what the hell are you thinking?? :notme:

I'm not thinking about it really, but the option is there to have a nice few KKKK in the bank , cheap inshurance , and cheap tax, and if i ever had to start paying for my fuel Derv is the way to go.

As Bowfer said day to day driving ( not going hell for leather ) theres not much in it, it'll be only the fun drives where i'd miss the S3.

I'm not changing yet though , i should be picking the S3 up in a bit , i'll see how it feels!!!

p

yep dark side the way..

got a friend with a 6 month old S3 we had a good blast the other day, from dead standstill i pulled away from him at 1st.. then we were pretty level till about 60-70ish , then he started to pull away from me big time....

but i guess when im doing an avg' of 40 MPG and paying very cheap insurance and cheaper road tax than him i sort of feel good about it , also i dont get grief with my tdi sportback unlike he does with the S3:sly:

yep dark side the way..

got a friend with a 6 month old S3 we had a good blast the other day, from dead standstill i pulled away from him at 1st.. then we were pretty level till about 60-70ish , then he started to pull away from me big time....

Your friend needs a lesson in taking off, you wouldnt out accerleate me in 1st with a Diesel, not a hope in hell, not with 4 wheel traction on the go :) .

P, the S3 is much more than just a fast hatch, its also a lovely place to be, all the little reminders inside that tell you its a little bit special. The people that turn round as you pass to get a proper eyefull also serve to remind you that its more than just a run of the mill car.

For all these reasons and more, i love my S3 :yahoo:

I'm sorry but i find it really hard to believe that an S3 struggles to pull away from a 2.0TDI up to 70 mph. I'm simply not having it!!

Your friend needs a lesson in taking off, you wouldnt out accerleate me in 1st with a Diesel, not a hope in hell, not with 4 wheel traction on the go :) .

P, the S3 is much more than just a fast hatch, its also a lovely place to be, all the little reminders inside that tell you its a little bit special. The people that turn round as you pass to get a proper eyefull also serve to remind you that its more than just a run of the mill car.

For all these reasons and more, i love my S3 :yahoo:
not saying the s3 isnt a nice motor cause it such a good motor and head turner....:arco:

maybe he not the best but there not much in it at all considering the cost to buy the s3 and the running costs of the beast also..... maybe if i owned the s3 id be saying the same as you mate,....

I'm sorry but i find it really hard to believe that an S3 struggles to pull away from a 2.0TDI up to 70 mph. I'm simply not having it!!
yep i thought the same too but only needs 1 slip by him pulling away

i am running a 2.0 tdi 170 ( pushing 200 ) also i got DSG S-Tronic Box.....

Nope sorry i dont like diesals (tractors), id have the s3 hiss any time of the day, also s3!! you get kudos, diesal.....erm....erm....you dont get jack!

I only bought my s3 in January but after driving my mates e46 M3 ive decided i want one!!!! Even though ive just turned 23 and insurance is gonna kill me just for the thrill its worth it!!!!!!!!

No Kudos for diesel? Hmm, depends what we're talking. I'd put your mates E46 M3 up against a remaped E92 335d any day!

Kudos? Do you need that from other people?

I couldnt care less what people think about the car that I drive!

I went diesel as its cheaper to run and tax. I spend £70 a week on diesel, A petrol car would cost me almost twice that. So I use the money I save to pay for my motorbike.

Nope sorry i dont like diesals (tractors), id have the s3 hiss any time of the day, also s3!! you get kudos, diesal.....erm....erm....you dont get jack!

I only bought my s3 in January but after driving my mates e46 M3 ive decided i want one!!!! Even though ive just turned 23 and insurance is gonna kill me just for the thrill its worth it!!!!!!!!
Have to agree. The A3 is a nice car in almost every respect, but having today driven a mate's TDI 140 S Line quattro (so I could try out the quattro and general handling), I know for sure I don't want diesel in my next car, even if it was the TDI 170 version. Much rather go for the 2.0TFSI that I have in my current Golf GTI, or even the 1.8TFSI.

I don't care how much torque the diesels have, the entertainment just isn't there IMO.

If you're looking to save some money on tax etc., I can see why diesel might be attractive, but if the original poster is looking to save some cash, why not consider the 1.8T or 2.0T?

No Kudos for diesel? Hmm, depends what we're talking. I'd put your mates E46 M3 up against a remaped E92 335d any day!
My mates also got 535d, but what can i say, its just that noise it makes!!!! Cant stand it!!!!!

Lol, you're not gonna get any kudos in an M3!! Cracking motor though. Although, before you shell out for one you should try remaping the S3, it's a totally different car once it's mapped. :icon_thumright:

looks like we rattled some cages here then boys...:notme:

guess it personal pref at the end of the day good job we all dont like the same or it be a boring world hey.....

Still got the stereotypical petrol/diesel views then eh? I took my mate for a drive the other day and had the windows down and he was shocked when he heard the turbo hissing away. He couldnt believe how loud it was! The torque of a diesel brings all the ponies into play nicely (in my case all 200 of them). You put a 200 bhp petrol against the same power diesel then we'll talk again. As PNH80 said, 335d mapped would shock an M3 owner!

Had those thoughts but not anymore...

I am doing steady 40-41 mpg on my commuting now so I am quite happy (100 mile round trip)...

For fun we just do 22 mpg... so who said S3 is not economical... all depends on your right foot... leave home 10 minutes earlier and you will see the savings... Also at rush hour what is the point of booting it? to hit the car in front?

Pedro