Evolution Motorsports Intake for S3

jonnyc

Reaction score
Hey

After a couple of questions about my intake set up on the S3 I thought it was time I should post a couple of pics and thoughts on the item..

I bought my EvoMs intake from Regal Autosport who are based in Southampton, they are the official importer for EVOMS in the Uk, great bunch, very helpful and will be at GTI International this weekend (usually with goodies in stock, gets me every time)

Previously I had a Neuspeed Intake fitted to the S3, it follows a similar design but with no heatshield for either the intake pipe above the turbo nor the filter itself which would make it prone to heatsoak and ingesting hot air from the engine bay

The EVOMS intake is supplied with the filter heatshield and for an extra £25 is available with the heatshield above the turbo which I would recommend, every little helps..

I have found the intake to really free up the S3, especially once the car was re-mapped, and makes a fantastic noise too, spool and also a nice blow off noise from the DV

I have made a couple of extra modifications to the intake system by firstly adding a heat reflecting tape to the intake pipe work closest around the turbo area. I found this reduced the temp of the intake to the touch and also after sitting in traffic etc the car didn't seem to suffer with the same level of heatsoak

Also I bought parts to construct my own cold air feed, including a 100mm venturi duct and flexible ducting. I mounted this so it would pull air from low down in the passenger side fog light grille and feed it directly to the filter itself via the flexible ducting. Pleased with how this turned out and the venturi duct in the grille isn't too noticeable, I was a bit worried about it looking a bit chav!

Really pleased with how the intake is performing now and IMO certainly a worth while mod for the S3

Heres some pics of the finished intake..

DSC05114.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05110.jpg

DSC05112.jpg

DSC05115.jpg

Jonny

mmm interesting, Cant really see the air feed from your pics - know why audi put a plastic cover over the engine !

Richard

Thats about how much you can see of it really, its pretty buried in there!

I was looking at maybe modifying the OE engine cover to fit with the new intake but to be honest I dont drive round with my bonnet open so im not worried about how ugly it is lol.. ; )

Jonny

Thanks Jonny,

Looks a good set up and obviously does the trick.

Do you get any advice from the engineers on the AM race team?

Also, do you have the standard Hammer map or bespoke code?

Nice post Jonny, it looks snug in there :)

Just one question, why did you remove the soundproofing from the underside of the bonnet?

Thanks Jonny,

Looks a good set up and obviously does the trick.

Do you get any advice from the engineers on the AM race team?

Also, do you have the standard Hammer map or bespoke code?

Thanks, no they just take the **** about me tuning up my road car lol..

Its the standard Hammer map that I have at the moment, think im going to try to get a more bespoke map between now and getting the BT kit.. Just to make the most of the exhaust / Intake combo..

Nice post Jonny, it looks snug in there :)

Just one question, why did you remove the soundproofing from the underside of the bonnet?

To make it LOUDDDDD, why else! :blush:

Hi Leon.

I think the earlier S3's (mine's an 07 too) didn't come with sound proofing under the bonnet. At least mine didn't!

Does that mean the earlier cars are lighter.... therefore faster ;)

What kind of power/weight you racing in a GT2 car?

Hi Leon.

I think the earlier S3's (mine's an 07 too) didn't come with sound proofing under the bonnet. At least mine didn't!

Does that mine the earlier cars are lighter.... therefore faster ;)

Of course, yours will be 0.0002 seconds faster!

Going to get one of these for my MK5 GTi, would you say its better than the BMC i had of you Jonny?

Rob

Going to get one of these for my MK5 GTi, would you say its better than the BMC i had of you Jonny?

Rob

Yes I would say its a step better, but as you would expect for £400 worth of bits..

Just depends on how far you want to go really, my set up is pretty obvious when I take the car to the dealer etc etc..

Jonny

Regal didn't have any at the show :(

Should have them in stock soon for the S3 :thumbsup:going to have one of these, looks like a good bit of kit as they had others on display.

I wan't aware of an EVOMS kit for the S3... I know there is one for the A3 but I was under the impression it was slightly different. It also isn't on the EVOMS website....
One question, can you tell me waht the smaller pipe on the life does, and where it goes?
Thanks
DSC05111.jpg

The intake on my car was a development piece produced by Regal Autosport in conjunction with EVOMS..

As far as I know there is not a kit currently available.. Although im pretty sure that they will be very soon from Regal Autosport (official importer for EVOMS into the UK)

The pipe to the left of the picture is the DV recirculation pipe which is present on the S3/ED30/Cupra 2.0T FSI engine, when the DV vents the air is directed back into the intake system.

You can use the standard pipe but I decided that I wanted a silicon hose..

Jonny

I emailed Regal recently....apparently Evoms are working on it for the S3 8P,and it will be here soon!!

Yep! I'm just waiting for them to get the Intake in stock then I'm having one...

:idea:

How many people want one of these? As maybe we should sort out a group buy!

I have Dbilas on Golf GTi and have a Evoms on order, Regal have none and dont know when they will have new stock, mine should arrive in few days from America,

Rob

Jonny,

Think the cold air feed is a really good idea. Where did you get the venturi duct and flexible ducting and how did you attach it behind the lower grill?

Cheers

N

Cheers, actually just seen a couple like it on ebay. Seems like there's loads of options for the flexible ducting

Trouble is as you can see it throught he the lower fog light grill it needs to look good and not in any way chavvy. I like the duct Jonny has as it doesn't stand out as not being oem.

This isn't the case mate. Behind the fog grill is a solid plastic mould which directs air at the engine block - it isn't open and you won't be able to get a cold air feed ducting pipe to the grill without taking this plastic mould off - which is not easy to do. Just look through the fog grill or poke a screwdriver through the honeycomb and you'll see what I mean. I think Jonny has removed this large plastic moulding from his: not easy to do at all .... my cold air feed comes from the two open ducts immediately behind the grey front splitter under the reg plate. Far easier and TOTALLY invisible so zero chav factor.

I thought one was open, and the other not... Could be wrong.

The passenger side is open in one sense - in that there is a directed air flow (about the diameter of a fag packet) which comes beck from the grill and onto the bottom of the engine block - but you could not attach any air hose to this grill without completely removing a big part.

This isn't the case mate. Behind the fog grill is a solid plastic mould which directs air at the engine block - it isn't open and you won't be able to get a cold air feed ducting pipe to the grill without taking this plastic mould off - which is not easy to do. Just look through the fog grill or poke a screwdriver through the honeycomb and you'll see what I mean. I think Jonny has removed this large plastic moulding from his: not easy to do at all .... my cold air feed comes from the two open ducts immediately behind the grey front splitter under the reg plate. Far easier and TOTALLY invisible so zero chav factor.

Mine looks just like Jonny's does now with nothing behind the grill on the passenger side. I've had a look and I could run flexible ducting straight from this grill to where the standard air intake is with no probs. It's different on the drivers side - that's got the plastic moulding behind. Maybe it's been taken off???

didn't know there were ducts behind the splitter, definitely more stealthy

Mine looks just like Jonny's does now with nothing behind the grill on the passenger side. I've had a look and I could run flexible ducting straight from this grill to where the standard air intake is with no probs. It's different on the drivers side - that's got the plastic moulding behind. Maybe it's been taken off???

didn't know there were ducts behind the splitter, definitely more stealthy

Weird - what reg is yours ? I wonder if there was a new part fitted at some point. Its hard to explain but if I shoved a screwdriver into my passenger side honeycomb grill it would travel one inch then hit a moulded plastic air channelling duct which sweeps air through a fag packet sized inlet and directly towards the engine block. There is no room for an air hose at all. Mine is a July 2007 build.

that is weird, mine's April 07, you'd think they would be the same.