Few techie questions about lights....

vanaaken

Reaction score
Now owned my A3 for 3 weeks done 3700 miles in that time so have got to know it well, have noticed a few things that someone will hopefully shed some light on:

1) When the car is running the needles on the clock are permantly lit which is fine however I've noticed that when I go into a tunnel or underpass (eg in Birmingham) I've noticed that the dials are lit/glowing as I enter the underpass and as it darkens the the dials fade out leaving only the needles glowing red anyone noticed this, if I have the lights on the dials obviously stay lit.

2) I've noticed that when the light dial is off you can actually push it in does this do anything? Can't do it when the lights are on, also when I turn the lights to sidelights the symbol lights up green however when I switch it to dipped headlights that symbol stays red, is this normal or should this go green as well?

Finally has anyone used the PIAA Plasma Spark Blue bulbs I bought a set as they are supposed to be 7200K and give you a HID affect, however after installation I've found that they hardly give out any light, even when its pitch black the beam is not very good, even thought they are supposed to give out the equivilant of 100w. Anyone got any suggestions for a really good dipped beam bulb that is close to HID and gives out good light? As I might use the plasma spark blues in the high beam lights instead.

Cheers

Mark

1) The needles are on by default. There is a light sensor on the dash and I think it adjusts the backlighting if the external lighting changes quickly - this would be why the backlighting does not come on in the dark with the lights off.

2) pushing the dial in is for use when disconnecting the dial when removing the lower dash covering. Are you sure you're not switching on the rear fog light when you turn the dial and get the read light?

As for the bulbs, see the thread on the PIAA Chrome Mirror White group buy. Not as bright as the Plasma Spark though.

Hi Marc thanks for you respones.

No deffo not pulling the dial out, basically when you turn the dial to sidelights, all the switch gear lights up with the normal red glow, with the sidelight symbol being green and the dipped healight symbol being red, when you switch the dial to dipped headlight I would expect the dipped headlight symbol to go green but it doesn't.

Hope this makes sense what does everyone elses do when they switch to dipped headlights? Will try and get some pics posted up later.

If the chrome bulbs are not as bright as the plasma sparks then I won't be buying them as its bad enough with the ones I've got, again I'll take some pics when its dark just to show how little of the road they light up, normally I wouldn't be bothered but at £70 a pair they weren't cheap! :jump:

Cheers

Mark

......basically when you turn the dial to sidelights, all the switch gear lights up with the normal red glow, with the sidelight symbol being green and the dipped healight symbol being red, when you switch the dial to dipped headlight I would expect the dipped headlight symbol to go green but it doesn't.

Mine is the same.

...and MarcQ is right about the sensor, there is one on the instrument cluster and mine has a couple on the Symphony2 radio.

Ian

No deffo not pulling the dial out, basically when you turn the dial to sidelights, all the switch gear lights up with the normal red glow, with the sidelight symbol being green and the dipped healight symbol being red, when you switch the dial to dipped headlight I would expect the dipped headlight symbol to go green but it doesn't.

Hope this makes sense what does everyone elses do when they switch to dipped headlights? Will try and get some pics posted up later.

Just nipped out to my car to check and it does the same as yours.

1) turn on sidelights and all lights are red except the sidelights one which is green.

2) turn on dipped lights and all lights are red except sidelights which is green.

3) pull knob out once for front fog lights and the front fog lights light lights up green.

4) pull knob out again for rear fog light and the rear fog light light lights up yellow\orange.

I've pulled my knob out quite a few times but never for my fog light lol......:lmfao:

Plus it will be shining a nice red colour so other people will see it in the fog.... :lmfao:

PMSL Ouch rear ended in the fog, you wouldn't want a head on collision either....

I'll grow up now lol