S3 vs 997 GT3 RS

jonnyc

Reaction score
Hey

Just a quick vid..

Brake boosting in 2nd in the S3.. GT3 RS in 2nd also running from 15 mph to ....

Driver in S3 and Driver + Passenger in GT3

Looking forward to Inters thats all im saying! :rockwoot:

(removed the video now, think its served it purpose) :undwech:

Jonny

As far as engine mods go..

GIAC Hammer Map
Forge DV
EVOMS intake with extra cooling mods and CAI
Milltek Downpipe
Custom Cat-Back
VF Engineering full engine/gearbox mount kit

And about 5 litres of fuel.. : )

Jonny

I just don't believe that! Does the GT3 RS driver have a license?

0-100 in 8.5s. Sounds like he started in 3rd! Know matter your mods your car is not faster than a GT3 RS...it's just not!

Is it? :puke2: lol

Its not fair because you have a very boosted small turbo and short gears and he is N/A with long gears. You should have tried from 40mph or more!

Both cars started in 2nd gear at the same speed, the video shows the differences in the power delivery of the two cars.. Its clear to see that the Porsche is quicker at the end of the video

I expected the type of mixed responses, there very entertaining so keep them coming :D

I just don't believe that! Does the GT3 RS driver have a license?

0-100 in 8.5s. Sounds like he started in 3rd! Know matter your mods your car is not faster than a GT3 RS...it's just not!

Is it? :puke2: lol

TBH Jonny gets the jump on him at the start and the Porche starts reeling him in before Jonny puts the brakes on , plus the extra 13 stone of a passenger in the Porche.

I don't think Jonny is saying his car is faster than a GT3 RS because it's not, but it can give one a run for it's money though.:)

Good vid Jonny.

p

I want video from standing still for proof :). Your car is going ~12.5 I presume, it should be interesting to see drag between this two cars!

Sure the S3 is a good and fast car, but the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, is at least 4 leagues above, and a vid like this wont change facts. He was 2 gears too high if you ask me otherwise he would have left you for dead. IMO of course :)

Well the S3 is clearly not as fast as the GT3, but for a family hatch, it done good! :)

Even still. If the GT3 was driven properly it would be at least 2 seconds faster to 100mph and at that speed, thats a big gap. Not reflected in this video.

Even if he was in second gear I still think he would have had you if driven properly. Bear in mind a standard S3 30-70 is 5.1 and with the mods you have probably 4.0 dead. The GT3 RS is still a second faster than that

Both cars start at the same time, both cars are in 2nd gear and both drivers can drive trust me.. :keule:

Wow!
That video proves.....
...nothing.

Lets be honest...if you are in the market for a GT3 - especially an RS - you don't care how fast an S3 is....because you aren't interested.

On the road, my 8L S3 was quicker than any NA Carrera out of a 15MPH corner in 2nd...
But you wouldn't be in 2nd at 15MPH in a Carrera normally.

I don't think anyone doubts how quick the 8P S3 is when chipped...but the video doesn't really prove anything.

Glen, will you be putting your car up against Jonnys at Inter?

Wow!
That video proves.....
...nothing.

Lets be honest...if you are in the market for a GT3 - especially an RS - you don't care how fast an S3 is....because you aren't interested.

On the road, my 8L S3 was quicker than any NA Carrera out of a 15MPH corner in 2nd...
But you wouldn't be in 2nd at 15MPH in a Carrera normally.

I don't think anyone doubts how quick the 8P S3 is when chipped...but the video doesn't really prove anything.

Jeez! Calm down mate! Don't knock him from posting a video! Nobody who see's that video with think for a second that the S3 is the quicker/better car. It's just a fun to watch video, two nice cars giving it a bit of stick :icon_thumright:

I'm easy..can do.
I'll be there both days.
I'm sure my 316 NA BHP and only 260 odd lb-ft won't do too badly against a car with much more torque/power.

I'm easy..can do.
I'll be there both days.
I'm sure my 316 NA BHP and only 260 odd lb-ft won't do too badly against a car with much more torque/power.

911's are pretty light compared to an Ed30/S3, I recon it'll be a close race.

Geez! Calm down mate!

I'm perfectly calm...
I just don't see what a video proves comparing an S3 artifically held high on boost vs a NA 911 in the wrong gear for the task.

I can't believe there are too many people who wouldn't expect the 8P S3 to be quicker in a situation like that.

I'm perfectly calm...
I just don't see what a video proves comparing an S3 artifically held high on boost vs a NA 911 in the wrong gear for the task.

I can't believe there are too many people who wouldn't expect the 8P S3 to be quicker in a situation like that.

He's not saying it proves anything, no need to knock the guy for posting his vid. Live and let live.

Good vid,lets just enjoy it for what it is!!! two nice motors being driven properly.

You cannot draw any conclusions from that video but it dies show that an s3 can punch above its weight, gt3 is still a lot quicker thoug ;)

You reckon?
Mine weighs the same as my 8L S3...so roughly the same as a Mk5 GTI I'd have thought.

Maybe 100 Kgs less than an 8P S3?
What's an 8P S3 weigh, wet? 1450-1500 Kg?

I think it's dry weight is around 1450, so wet over 1500. Quite a fat boy! 911's around 1350 right?

We'll finally find out if Jonnys car can do 0-100 in under 11 seconds!

I'll put my money on Glen though...

BTW 996 C4S 1470kg, S3 1455kg

I think it's dry weight is around 1450, so wet over 1500. Quite a fat boy! 911's around 1350 right?

Maybe a GT3 RS is that low.
I think my C4S is around 1450Kg wet.
Very similar to the 8L S3 wet...so probably 50 Kg less than a 8P S3 assuming the 8P put on a little weight due to it's larger dimensions.

I can't see an S3 doing much under 13 with the mods Jonny has. What can the C4S do it in? If it's got a lot less torque, less power and similar weight I would have though it would be slower than the S3. I guess gear ratios and drag will come into play.

I'm not so sure I would.
Shorter gearing and lots more torque and a bit more power vs better traction, longer gears but less gearchanges and much less torque.

Probably all depends on how hard you launch....and how much you value your clutch.

I reckon 11.5 seconds for the 996 C4S is achievable. I'll be surprised if the S3 can match that, even with 330PS+

I'm not so sure I would.
Shorter gearing and lots more torque and a bit more power vs better traction, longer gears but less gearchanges and much less torque.

Probably all depends on how hard you launch....and how much you value your clutch.

I'm off the feeling that my 303PS Boxster S is faster than my 8P S3 was and it had a verified 330PS and 450NM of torque. Hence my reasoning that you'll be faster. I do find the BS easier to launch though!

just watched vid....seeing as Ess_Three says, the porche isnt even on tap at the start where as the S3 seems as tho hes right on the boost, also the S3 is infront from the start, yeah its a quick S3, but the porche was reeling him back in, and why from 15mhp....thats sounds like rolling road diesel talk to me lol.....in my humble opinion of course :) out of interest what BHP is the S3 running?

Nice video Jonny. Quite a likkle bruiser youve got there :icon_thumright:

I reckon 11.5 seconds for the 996 C4S is achievable. I'll be surprised if the S3 can match that, even with 330PS+

If the C4S can do a 1/4 mile in under 12, then I'd put a lot of money of the C4S! The S3 ain't gonna beat that.

I can't see an S3 doing much under 13 with the mods Jonny has. What can the C4S do it in? If it's got a lot less torque, less power and similar weight I would have though it would be slower than the S3. I guess gear ratios and drag will come into play.

Here's a 5.4 and 13.7 run at GTI Int'l 2 years ago..

http://media.putfile.com/Audi-TT-vs-Porsche-GT3

Ignore the title...it's not a GT3, I can assure you...but a standard C4S!

I did slighlty better on later runs....5.0 and aq 12.9 by not hitting the limiter in 2nd (as you can hear)
Either way...it's about on 8P S3 numbers.

shall we put a wager on the longativity of both engines lol ;)

I'm talking 0-100mph not 1/4 mile times. More like 12.6-12.9 for that I reckon.

Lauch the S3 right and it is pretty savage off the line as aiculedtzu proves here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVdjTu9V9Q

Even my 8L was brutal in 1st and 2nd (280 BHP, 330 lb-ft) but by 3rd and 80ish, where the 911 is just getting going in 3rd, it takes the advantage.
But with Audis short gearing, 1st and 2nd are over in a flash, if you are brutal enough...almost too quick in 1st!