Not A3/S3 related but....

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Forgive me but the A5 forum is like a graveyard, it'd take forever to get an answer in there....So...

Something is frustrating me. I was/am very close to ordering an A5 (i seem to be able to get a much better deal on an A5 than a 330d coupe)..however upon looking at specifying the car it became apparent that Audi have not yet launched the A5 S-Line pack in the UK.

It is already available EVERYWHERE else on the planet but surprise surprise not here!! UK buyers shafted again.

So my question is... Does anyone know when the S-Line is due for UK launch, if at all?!

Cheers guys..

Paul.

Try here http://www.a5oc.com/
Seems to be a few threads on it there.
General consensus seems to be it'll be a while away.

I can confidently predict Audi will announce the S-line exactly one week after you take delivery of your standard one.
Is is the law of sod.:3sadwalk:

Nice one Dave. The A5 is a really nice piece of kit.

I dont know when its due out. As Bowfer said, it will most likely be shortly after you collect yours. However you could wait for its release, but then you'd probably have to put up with the facelift shortly after you pick the s-line up! :)

It is a quandry, as S-line is my minimum Audi spec too.
I wasn't interested in an A3 until they launched S-line.
I ignored the new A4 because it didn't come in S-line, at that time (it may now, dunno)

Obviously there's no point asking Audi because 1. They won't know, they never do. and 2. They'll want to sell me a sport model anyway.

It is a quandry, as S-line is my minimum Audi spec too.
I wasn't interested in an A3 until they launched S-line.
I ignored the new A4 because it didn't come in S-line, at that time (it may now, dunno)

The A4 is now available in S-Line guise and looks very nice. As does the A5 whenever i see it in pics. It basically looks exactly the same as the S5.
There's no way i'm ordering a sport model for the sake of waiting maybe a few months and paying a bit extra for a better looking, better handling car.
It's just annoyed me that America got the S-Line at launch, nearly a year later and we're still waiting....

They'll deny its going to happen right up until launch day.

The A5 still looks good without the S-line pack. Its the A3, A4 etc. that need S-line to make them interesting

Surprised that you can better deal on the Audi compared to the BM! Looking at the online suppliers they are both offerinf similar discounts on them. I'm assuming your comparing the A5 3.0tdi sport with the 330D coupe M sport?

J.

Mate you could be right with just ordering a euro spec car. I'll look into it...
If anyone's interested in the differences between the sport and S-Line there's some nice photos in this forum thread:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/audi-a5-vs-866/index.html

Very interestingly, after a long search online there's a rumour that Audi may be scrapping the S-Line pack for the UK.
Aparently, diesel S-Line models have killed the S4 and S6's and badly affected sales (basically due to how much we get charged for petrol, buyers are opting for sporty diesels). Therefore Audi may not be releasing the A5 in S-Line form over here. I can see their way of thinking... The S-Line 3.0TDI looks the same as the S5, if not better, way more economical and not much slower...and it's cheaper. Can't help but think that would kill a lot of S5 sales.

Paul.

Surprised that you can better deal on the Audi compared to the BM! Looking at the online suppliers they are both offerinf similar discounts on them. I'm assuming your comparing the A5 3.0tdi sport with the 330D coupe M sport?

J.

Yes thats right. A5 3.0TDI quattro sport vs. 330d M-Sport. Online suppliers are advertising them at the same price but when you start pushing them to haggle i always seem to get a much better deal on the Audi.

Looking at those pics I actually prefer the standard front end!

Its all personal preference though, go for the one you like :)

Yes thats right. A5 3.0TDI quattro sport vs. 330d M-Sport. Online suppliers are advertising them at the same price but when you start pushing them to haggle i always seem to get a much better deal on the Audi.

Have you actually test driven both?
How do they compare?

Looking at those pics I actually prefer the standard front end!

Its all personal preference though, go for the one you like :)

I would go for the one i like but Audi won't release it lol

dont really like the A5, its fat.

GT coupe isn't it. Designed for eating up the miles so it's got to have some 'girth' and road presence to it.

Have you actually test driven both?
How do they compare?

Yes i have test driven both cars and to be honest a test drive only confused me more.
I was expecting both cars to be very similar to drive and one would stand out as the winner and generally better feeling car....but no.
The BMW feels more like a nimble sports coupe and more of a drivers car. You'd be tempted to push it harder than the A5. I must also say that the engine felt and sounded smoother in the BMW.
The Audi is more of a GT coupe, feels a lot softer handling. Much more plush interior though and a greater feeling of road presence. The Audi is the faster car also but doesn't always feel it.
To be honest there isn't any daylight between them for my money, it really is horses for coarses. Both talked to me in different ways and i'd buy both for different reasons.

However, the test may be unfair. As i would personally compare the M-Sport set up to the S-Line pack and as the point of this thread states.... I can't even have the option of making that comparison!
The S-Line A5 is 10mm lower, stiffer suspension, harder seats, slightly more aggressive styling which i think focuses the whole car better and makes it appear more of a sports coupe than a tourer. So with the S-Line pack, the A5 could gain a bit of ground on the 3 series as a rewarding drivers car.

It would be nice to have the option!!!

Looks aren't deceiving then.
The A5 certainly looks more cumbersome than the BMW, and you say it drives that way too.
In summary, if you went for the A5 you would wish it drove like the BMW.
If you went for the BMW, you'd wish it had the Audi's interior.

FWIW, I prioritised driving enjoyment as No.1 when I was replacing my A3.
Aside from the reliability issues, I just never enjoyed driving it.
I mean the physical act of driving, where you go out of your way just to drive it, or you get a grin when it does something.

So, from that point of view, I'd be going for the driver's car and sod the interior.
It's not like the BMW interior is a bad place to be.

Looks aren't deceiving then.
The A5 certainly looks more cumbersome than the BMW, and you say it drives that way too.

It's definitely not hard work to drive but i know which i'd take if i was going for a blast down country lanes. The A5 is probably better to live with day to day with it's creature comforts. But again....I can't really make a fair comparison in driving/handling terms without trying an S-Line.

The reports of the S5 driving experience pretty much echo what you have said about the sport version... Don't get me wrong I love the S5 and it would be a tough choice between that and the 335i coupe, although I think I would ultimately go for the driving expeirence over the Audi interior. But then I do quite like the unfussy BM dash'

How about looking at the Alpina D3 coupe... slightly cheaper, slightly slower but on all accounts a very nice car to drive and once up and running I'd bet there's not much init between the 330D and the TT 2 litre lump.

Cheaper to run, cheaper to insure and I'd bet the residuals will be quite good on it as well...

Good call, MB.
I forgot about the new D3 coupe.

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/news/2941

I would safely say you can ignore the first bit of that spec sheet, where it says "Airconditioning - manual"
Don't know what they mean by that, I would put my mortgage on it being proper climate control, like my D3.

Well i'm open to all options after Audi's pretty laughable customer relations and model launch dates have struck again. I'm only interested in an A5 S-Line. No point getting the sport with a view to keeping it for 3 years, only for the S-Line to be released. I'll be bitter every time i look at the car!

Anyway, i'll take a closer look at the D3 coupe.
Also...anyone seen the Lexus G37 coupe yet?? Looks very nice indeed. No idea when we're getting it though...

Good call, MB.
I forgot about the new D3 coupe.

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/news/2941

I would safely say you can ignore the first bit of that spec sheet, where it says "Airconditioning - manual"
Don't know what they mean by that, I would put my mortgage on it being proper climate control, like my D3.

01.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning!

Don't like the wheels or Alpina stickers but thats a very well spec'd car for the price. I'd throw on some Hartge wheels and job's a good'n.

How much does the Alpina B3 coupe run at?? More than the BMW coupe's?

They are £32,900 I think. But pretty unique as BM wont be sticking the TT lump in a 3 series anytime soon. And yep nicely spec'd for the money.

J.

Don't like the wheels or Alpina stickers but thats a very well spec'd car for the price. I'd throw on some Hartge wheels and job's a good'n.

The stickers aren't standard in the UK, so no worries there.
Those alloys are 'dynamic'
You can specify 'classic' instead, like mine (photo below)
Watch your B's and D's with Alpina.
The B3 is a petrol.
The D3 is a diesel.

SP_A0147-1.jpg

Ok removing the Alpina stickers is one thing but sticking Hartge wheels on an Alpina would just be wrong!!!!

The only downside I can see with the car is the 7 month wait for a factory order!

J.

That green beemer looks a bit crossed eyed, and as though its sucking on a lemon :)

Looks pretty mean at the rear though!

Lexus G37 vs. A5/3 series coupe anyone??!

infiniti_g37_20_x.jpg