AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Got a shock today at dealer

I have been having the 'owl' noise coming form the turbo for the last few weeks ie. the whisltle/whine noise when the turbo winds up and today had it booked into Huddersfield Audi who are the supplying dealer of my 2006 A3 2.0tdi and very suprised when they rang up and said the turbo was knackered!
    This started not long after fitting Bluefin and has knocked my confidence in the product even though it may have nothing to do with it. It was covered under warranty thank god and they did a very good and quick job on the car.

Convince me guys that this is not the fault of the Superchips conversion because I miss the power increase!!!

Paul

2. # ADS
    ADS

windsurfer

Status
    unless you have been trashing the car everywhere there isn'ta problem with the chipping... it increases boost pressure but only affects it if you constantly drive it hard...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

Neutral

Status
    I bought a bluefin unit after my car had done 2k miles and as soon as i installed it my turbo whined (i quite liked the noise). When i went for my first service (blue fin removed for the day) the dealer said my turbo was dead! I had a new turbo fitted no questions asked. I re-installed the bluefin straight away and there was no whine from the new turbo and now 25k miles later i have had no probs at all with anything. Plus i rag the arse of it every where.
    A3 Sline Quattro, Bluefin, Xenon plus, Bose,RNSE, Ipod link, 14 spokes, Chrome mirrors

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul051 View Post
    Plus i rag the arse of it every where.
    Definitely avoid your motor in the classifieds then! lol
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

5th Gear

Status
    I bought a bluefin unit after my car had done 2k miles and as soon as i installed it my turbo whined (i quite liked the noise). When i went for my first service (blue fin removed for the day) the dealer said my turbo was dead!
    You must have felt the loss of power if the turbo was dead - how come you didn't know it was dead BEFORE the service ???
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Iggu's right you would have seriously noticed the turbo down on its luck, sounds like a typical dealership ploy for warranty work.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    Definitely avoid your motor in the classifieds then! lol

Company motor, so dont worry about that
    A3 Sline Quattro, Bluefin, Xenon plus, Bose,RNSE, Ipod link, 14 spokes, Chrome mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    You must have felt the loss of power if the turbo was dead - how come you didn't know it was dead BEFORE the service ???
    What meant by dead is the service manager said the car had excessive smoke and the turbo was knacked. No power loss!

I would notice power loss straight away so no problem with performance

5th Gear

Status
    What meant by dead is the service manager said the car had excessive smoke and the turbo was knacked. No power loss!

I would notice power loss straight away so no problem with performance
    In that case I think Nigel must be right. You'd have noticed the smoke wouldn't you ?

I suspect there was nothing wrong with your motor mate - but the dealer's budget was in need of urgent repair !

Hope it didn't cost you anything personally.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Neutral

Status
    Didnt notice any more smoke, but it smoked more any way after the remap under boost. There was deffo a whine on the turbo when it went in. so something was up with it. Didnt cost me anything as it was a warranty job im not bothered if they want to make a few quid off Audi as long as it does not cost me!

Neutral

Status
    i have a faint turbo whine on mine before and after bluefin and seems all fine to me .... should i be worried ?

i had bluefin since the beginning (one of the testing cars for 2.0tdi 140bhp)

5th Gear

Status
    i have a remapped 2.0tfsi and a standard 8p s3 both whistle and have been looked at and are fine must be coincidence

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

S3 (8P)

Status
    My clutch started to slip as soon as I had my last Golf Gti remapped (20T FSI).
    Turned out to be the dual mass flywheel.
    It was changed under warranty and ran spot on afterwards.

5th Gear

Status
    Know someone that had the turbo go on his TDI Golf with the same engine. But he kicked the crap out of it on a daily basis, didn't let it warm up so was to be expected. Was a company car so didn't care
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Reverse Gear

Status
    New turbo now fitted and quiet like new. The power delivery feels smoother too. Had a chat with Superchips and they have no evidence to suggest a problem with the program but to be safe they sent a new program with less boost and it does not seem to have affected overall performance but may smoke a bit more.

I do drive quickly but not in a thrashy manner very often.

Neutral

Status
    Paul when yours went in for warranty did you leave the superchips on or off? did they dealer say anything about that?

I am getting the owl whistle after bluefin but theres no loss of performance and my warranty runs out in a few months, not sure what to do
    A3 TDI DSG

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Mine also has the whistle, no performance problems, no smoke, no problems, my friend Simon@amd says the turbo's do make a slight noise anyway & it was nothing to worry about, he hasnt been wrong to date about my cars so I trust him, the car hasnt had any problems so I think its just by design tbh, it did it before the map & does after, maybe its slightly moor noticeable now or I am just listening for it, but until the car actually shows any signs of issues I cant see the point in changing turbo.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Mine also has the whistle, no performance problems, no smoke, no problems, my friend Simon@amd says the turbo's do make a slight noise anyway & it was nothing to worry about, he hasnt been wrong to date about my cars so I trust him, the car hasnt had any problems so I think its just by design tbh, it did it before the map & does after, maybe its slightly moor noticeable now or I am just listening for it, but until the car actually shows any signs of issues I cant see the point in changing turbo.
    I never had any whistle if im honest or at least I couldn't hear it. After Bluefin I can really hear it, as if an owl is in my turbo.

I have a warranty still but don't like going to the dealers, they're horrible beings!
    A3 TDI DSG

Born to Fish

Status
    Any turbo is designed specifically for an engine performance map (i.e boost pressure/turbo rpm) If a map increases your boost it must also increase the operating speed (fact) if the speed increases above the maximum design speed of your turbo i'm afraid sooner or later its BYE BYE TURBO.

Seen it happen so so often
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Neutral

Status
    That may be true but it won't happen in 2 days will it, not usually.
    A3 TDI DSG

Neutral

Status
    Thats the only thing with chipping a diesel you can have the extra power but cant use it every day, thats why i went agaisnt the idea! I no people in the past who had theres chipped and it blew the turbo. Petrol turbos seem to be able to take the extra power and can still drive them hard every day aswell.
    Dark blue S3, black grill, cruise, bluetooth, 12cd changer, bose, milltek, stealth remap , jetex airfilter

Just Looking

Status
    I know that there have been quite a lot of failures with the 2.0TDi and given the expense of changing the Cat or Intercooler or both depending on the extent of the overall failure the dealers are trying to be a little more proactive about it and identify a problem before it gets worse.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

Just waiting for the green light

Status
    PD150 Golf chipped to 186, absolutely fantastic fun until the white smoke appeared in the rear view mirror, chip removed (luckily a cheap inline type box), driven to dealer carefully and a replacement turbo plus cat lwas fitted under warranty.

With hindsight it was chipped too early with only 800miles on the clock and then went bang at 32,000 but then went on to 110,000 before the dual mass flywheel became noisy and it was time to move on.

I'm still considering the Bluefin on my 170TDI though !
    170 S.line manual

Boydie
    I have done 40k with my map and the car is spot on - I only get the coooo noise because I have a non-resonated miltek exhaust

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rollon View Post
    That may be true but it won't happen in 2 days will it, not usually.
    No not 2 days but possibly 2 months but probably alot longer
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.