White S3

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi all...

Whilst pootling home along the M55 this evening a white S3 overtook me.....
Now having owned a white BMW in the past...and it did look great polished up ...but I lost a sh*tload of cash when it came to get rid....

Without upsetting a load of people on here whats the concensus on white A3's .......is it here today gone tommorrow ? Wonder what the trade in will be like for white Audi's

From a B6 A4 2.5 TDi Avant Quattro Sport owner looking to get a 2.0 TDi Sportback next.....

White has made a huge comeback at the moment , dealer was saying yesterday they are very popular. It may be short lived,who knows. Not sure I would buy one though.

Mark

I do like white cars but not sure if I'd buy one.

Dad has a white S-line Sportback on order, braver than me...

White is the new black at the moment it seems, with proper maintenance it looks very nice with the right car.

I've seen a white S3 on the motorway by my house travelling in the opposite direction and it certainly stands out from the crowd when it is clean and the sun is shining.

White doesn't suit every car though. My local dealer has a white Golf GT and it doesn't look too good.

guy round the corner got a new m3 in white, looks lush - more of a pearl white rather than bright white like the audi. old jap cars were a creamy white which isn't so flattering. personally i don't care about the trade in as it's a company car and i struggle to be that sensible when choosing a car anyway, would imagine they will be a bit harder to shift on than black or silver, same with yellow/orange etc but by the same token you will find people looking specifically for that colour. despite all the talk of shed loads of white cars about i've still only seen one other a3 (sportback in basic trim), a couple of tt's and that's about it for audi's around northampton, drove 300 miles to norwich /yarmouth and back last week and didn't see a single one

p.s. i think the tt looks it's very best in white - only my opinion!! the previous shape looked cack in white which is interesting (ish)

p.p.s saw a z4 coupe this morning in white as well, also lush!

When the fad dies down eventually, there will be hundred's of once immaculate white cars languishing on the forecourts and clogging up AutoTrader. If it's your own money and you plan on keeping the car for 3-5 years avoid white.

I think some white cars look great in white, especially the S3 and probably even more special with the optic pack, in fact I would be very happy to have one on my drive.
Also think the Golf ED30 looks fantastic in candy white.
Not sure whether bigger cars suit white quite the same.
How long the `trend` lasts is anyones guess.

Good luck
Paul

So long as it's a sporty model, it will look good in white..
Don't think a Vectra Estate in white would have quite the same visual glamour.. lol

So long as it's a sporty model, it will look good in white..
Don't think a Vectra Estate in white would have quite the same visual glamour.. lol

DSC01896(1).JPG

I said so long as it's sporty.. And as you can see, that clearly is... ha ha

Obviously white is flavour of the month but it's impossible to tell how long it'll be in fashion. Much more suited to slippery shapes and hot hatches than saloon style cars and 4x4's in my opinion.
Depends how brave you are and how much you like white to be honest!
Every A3 S-Line and S3 i've seen looks fantastic in white so if you like it, go for it.

I saw a white Range rover the other day. :sadlike:

I know what you're saying, i saw a white X5 with big chrome rims and a personalised plate in very chavvy italics. Some bleach blonde footballers wife type driving it. I actually got a bit of sick in the back of my throat.... Terrible:puke2:.

Had mine since Sept 07 and its a head turner. Many times at the Car Wash/Petrol station people have commented on it so its clear its unusual and popular. Arctic white etc has been around for a long time but the mucky/creamy appearance of previous whites have made them undesirable. The Ibis white is piercing and stands out from the rest.

I'm not just saying this coz i own one but the A3 was the first car I saw rolling about of this new bright white trend - and subsequently BMW and Mercedes etc followed suit.

Only after the Ibis option had been around for 6months did manufacturers cotton on to this new popularity and then almost overnight adverts for new Merc and BMWs were appearing showing their models in white. (The 1 series in white two door looks pretty good with big wheels I must say).

Red was 80s
Yellows and otehr such appeared in the 90s
Silver was the choice of the millenium
White seems to be the latest

I know that I will be able to fetch a slightly higher the normal price for my A3 when I come to sell it. There is always a bouyant market for A3's for second owners as younger lads who can't afford them new kill for these cars, especially in S Line form. The black optics pack is a must to accentuate the vibrancy of the body colour - the white versions of these will be most sought after by second hand A3 buyers I have no doubt about that.

agreed white looks better on smaller cars and slippery shapes but spec an A4 sline in ibis on the audi configurator and it looks good also!

I'd totally disagree with this comment that white is a new fad invented by Audi which other manufacturers have cottoned on to....

Cars are fashion like any other 'designed' consumer product. Audi, Saab, Merc, BMW etc will have all done their market research with regards to what colours are going to be 'big' in the coming years. Like a few years ago the whole varying shades of silver and grey exploded, no one invented it or did it first, it's just what was predicted as being in fashion.

This whole white thing is basically 80's retro. EVERY new car was white in the 80's!! VW released the new golf with the retro interior and thus released it in red and white. VW are releasing the new sirrocco soon which no doubt will be white like the original GTI's...which were white!
Porsche have released the new 'RS' models in white with the graphics down the side as a throwback to the 80's carrera's.
Lambo and Ferrari made everything in white in the 80's...remember the countach and the Miami Vice Testerossa?!
Audi have a history of white cars, the quattro most famously.

So white is definitely no new fad invented by Audi, it's just a trend revived from the 80's....and i like it!
Reminds me of He-Man, transformers and the A-Team.

Of course white existed as a popular colour in the past, thats not in question. I'm not suggesting Audi invented the new fad as you call it, but they certainly rolled out their models first in this recent explosion of ice white cars.

Well I read an article in Autocar recently that it was suggested that it was actually spawned on the back of the iPod generation, along with a whole host of products - so there you go.

Differing opinions!

Well I read an article in Autocar recently that it was suggested that it was actually spawned on the back of the iPod generation, along with a whole host of products - so there you go.

Differing opinions!

Exactly, it's fashion in the design of consumer products and isn't specific to cars. White is just the 'in' colour. This is what i'm saying.... it's the media, fashion houses, design studios and market researchers which dictates what colour is in fashion, not car manufacturers.
Just so happens that the 80's are big again....so white cars are flavour of the month.

Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking it, i welcome it. Makes a nice change to black, silver, black, silver, black ......

I agree the A4's do look great in white. In my other thread discussing the A5 vs. 3 series coupe a few people said ibis white was too OTT for the A5..... I have to say i disagree. I've seen a few in Ibis and they look great...Yes they look very very flashy....but still great.

I was one who who said the A5 is IMO OTT in white. Also think that A4 looks a bit garish in white too. Larger cars look more sleek in darker colours IMO.

white Q7 down near me, its nasty IMHO.

The old BMW white wasnt as sharp as the new whites we see so I couldnt compare them. I think white will always be a colour though that doesnt get popular.... its just more popular than it has been recently, but still you dont see many white cars its just when you do you really notice them.

Agreed - when you go to Dubai and see big A8s in white its OTT.

A3 is a good size, as is the TT but a Q7 would look like a Polar Bear ***!!