RS4 Start Button Installation Notes

Awesome write up and very well layed out explanation wise!! Mega props :respekt:

Im just thinking its a great amount of work required as an alternative to turning the key one more click :)

No doubt!

And you obviously like tinkering so what better way to do it than with your car :)

Good write up mate , i don't think it's for me though.....i'd rather walk on the wild side :)

p

I had mines fitted by my Audi Dealer last week. They said that they followed the wiring diagram of the RS4s ignition wiring and took them roughly 2 hours to do.It works a charm and looks the part too! Thanks to you guys I now have something unique on my S3 :cool:

800/15 - Is that STG£53? If so then that was a steal! My button and cigarette lighter came to STG£90 just for the parts then the connector was about a fiver. Add two hours' labour to that and it is a lot more expensive!

I know if I was to source all my parts down here rather than the UK it would have been about €210 for the parts and then €70+VAT per hour for labour is €170 so about €380. Although, I doubt that my dealer, or even a UK dealership would do the work anyway.

Hi Marc,

Excellent description! Thank you for your fantastic work. I started the thread with very little knowledge but you perfected it.:)

cheers!

May I know if this retrofit works on the DSG models? TIA
No reason why it shouldn't. The wiring of the button does not go near the gearbox. Like I said in the notes, the key based system which you currently use takes the 12v switched feed from the yellow wire, and when you turn the key to the START position it sends it through the barrel to the red wire and out to the starter motor. All the button does is take the yellow feed from just outside the barrel, run it down the button and when you press the button it closes the connection and sends the 12v signal back to the red wire. If your car will start with the key, then it will start with the button.

With a DSG model you need to have it in park with your foot on the brake to start the engine - is that correct? The same will apply with the button as the start procedure is still the same - only the mechanism for putting 12v onto the red wire has changed.

With a little help from Nigel I got my RS4 start button installation completed on Sunday.

I've documented the entire procedure and have posted it here:

http://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net

I've also put the notes from my PhatNoise instalation up. I'll add other stuff to the site as more mods are completed.

Marc, do you want to post this in the FAQ's sticky thread at the top of this section? Would be a shame to put document this info only for it to be lost over time as the thread disappears!

J.

With a little help from Nigel I got my RS4 start button installation completed on Sunday.

I've documented the entire procedure and have posted it here:

http://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net

I've also put the notes from my PhatNoise instalation up. I'll add other stuff to the site as more mods are completed.
Hi, I like the spound of the start button, tried connecting to the link but it failed, is the site no longer available?
Regards
Nigel

HAHAHA yeah, I certainly wouldnt be brave enough... I had it all on installing/deinstalling my phone kit in the last car. Was well worried I was gonna break some facia, scratch a panel etc etc. ;)

Cracking job tho.

May I know if this retrofit works on the DSG models? TIA

The testbed for this mod was done on my DSG A3 so yes it does work, should work on all TBH as Marc followed my wiring to the letter so alls good.

I went a step further & built a pcb with fuses inline & diodes to protect the original starter circuit & the rs4 button from surges or unneeded voltage down either circuit, but after my wiring marathon through the car you could get away without this, I'm just over protective when it comes to important circuits, so like to have it safer than most.

I'm gearing up for my seat on Jonathan Woss come friday.

gotta be some way to make money out of our fame, lol.

Thank you so much. This is the assurance I need before getting down to the project.